Senior Member

Default Inspection Camera

I need to find a leak inside a 110mm rain water PVC pipe

The pipe is inside a concrete slab which I will have to break, thus, spotting the precise location of the leak is important to minimize the breakage.

I have thought that the best way to proceed is to get an inspection camera to look inside the pipe. Is there a better way?

I have good, straight, access to the pipe around 6 - 10 meters from the likely location of the leak

Will a camera like the USB ones described in the link below be good enough?:

http://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/3468...on-camera.html

There is a chance, however, that to get to the leak I will have to go through 90 degree elbows, located several meters from the camera entry point.

I find it very unlikely that I can make the camera turn so far from the entry point. Am I correct or is there a technique to allow it?

Do I need a different kind of equipment?

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
asalcedo wrote:
There is a chance, however, that to get to the leak I will have to go
through 90 degree elbows, located several meters from the camera entry
point.

I find it very unlikely that I can make the camera turn so far from the
entry point. Am I correct or is there a technique to allow it?

Do I need a different kind of equipment?

The ones I've seen at a reasonable price (and the USB one I've got) can
only be inserted a distance of about a metre. For several metres from the
access point, I'd use a pro.

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) brought next idea :
In article ,
asalcedo wrote:
There is a chance, however, that to get to the leak I will have to go
through 90 degree elbows, located several meters from the camera entry
point.

I find it very unlikely that I can make the camera turn so far from the
entry point. Am I correct or is there a technique to allow it?

Do I need a different kind of equipment?

The ones I've seen at a reasonable price (and the USB one I've got) can
only be inserted a distance of about a metre. For several metres from the
access point, I'd use a pro.

A USB cable, if plugged directly into a PC's USB port, can be fitted
with an extension of around 10m (check the actual spec.), so the only
problem would be sealing the plug joint in the cable.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

asalcedo wrote:
There is a chance, however, that to get to the leak I will have to go
through 90 degree elbows, located several meters from the camera entry
point.

I find it very unlikely that I can make the camera turn so far from the
entry point. Am I correct or is there a technique to allow it?

Do I need a different kind of equipment?

The ones I've seen at a reasonable price (and the USB one I've got) can
only be inserted a distance of about a metre. For several metres from the
access point, I'd use a pro.

A USB cable, if plugged directly into a PC's USB port, can be fitted
with an extension of around 10m (check the actual spec.), so the only
problem would be sealing the plug joint in the cable.

Easy enough to check before posting, isn't it?

"The USB 1.1 Standard specifies that a standard cable can have a maximum
length of 3 meters with devices operating at Low Speed (1.5 Mbit/s), and
a maximum length of 5 meters with devices operating at Full Speed (12
Mbit/s)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

(As that is Wiki, feel free to update. And USB 3 does not have a maximum
cable length - it has a cable performance spec.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum explained on 13/10/2012 :
asalcedo wrote:
[...]

The point I was making was that it could be extended and to check the
spec. for the actual length.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

asalcedo wrote:
There is a chance, however, that to get to the leak I will have to go
through 90 degree elbows, located several meters from the camera entry
point.

I find it very unlikely that I can make the camera turn so far from the
entry point. Am I correct or is there a technique to allow it?

Do I need a different kind of equipment?

The ones I've seen at a reasonable price (and the USB one I've got) can
only be inserted a distance of about a metre. For several metres from the
access point, I'd use a pro.

A USB cable, if plugged directly into a PC's USB port, can be fitted
with an extension of around 10m (check the actual spec.), so the only
problem would be sealing the plug joint in the cable.

That doesn't help the OP though: these gizmos consist of a large
handle/grip with a ~1m flexible fibre-optic wand with a camera/light on
the tip; the handle has a cable with a USB plug. The OP would need to
stick the wand into the access point while keeping hold of the handle,
and then guide the tip where he wants it. So the length of USB cable is
immaterial; that won't be going into the pipe.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
asalcedo wrote:
There is a chance, however, that to get to the leak I will have to go
through 90 degree elbows, located several meters from the camera entry
point.

I find it very unlikely that I can make the camera turn so far from the
entry point. Am I correct or is there a technique to allow it?

Do I need a different kind of equipment?

The ones I've seen at a reasonable price (and the USB one I've got) can
only be inserted a distance of about a metre. For several metres from the
access point, I'd use a pro.

Yours is a bit different from some that are in effect a camera on a long
lead rather than on a semi rigid goose neck.

e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Led-USB-...item27c45ae7fa

For the OP, the best chance you have of getting a camera down there
might be with a set of cable rods and the camera taped just behind the
lead end of the rod. I doubt even then you would get through more than
one elbow though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

asalcedo wrote:
There is a chance, however, that to get to the leak I will have to go
through 90 degree elbows, located several meters from the camera entry
point.

I find it very unlikely that I can make the camera turn so far from
the entry point. Am I correct or is there a technique to allow it?

Do I need a different kind of equipment?

The ones I've seen at a reasonable price (and the USB one I've got)
can only be inserted a distance of about a metre. For several metres
from the access point, I'd use a pro.

A USB cable, if plugged directly into a PC's USB port, can be fitted
with an extension of around 10m (check the actual spec.), so the only
problem would be sealing the plug joint in the cable.

Mine has a control for the LED output level and a capture button, on the
box at the end of the snake, before the USB cable. They don't look
waterproof to me.

--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

asalcedo wrote:
[...]

That's the specified length and it will probably work at much greater
lengths. If not, you can buy cables with repeaters built into the
sockets and you can put two of these (possibly 3) together to get you
further.

SteveW

Inspection camera alec green UK diy 26 May 21st 13 07:50 AM
Flexible USB inspection camera - anyone tried one Murmansk69 UK diy 4 May 4th 10 07:26 AM
inspection camera - for homeowner use Heathcliff Home Repair 14 July 9th 09 04:17 AM
inspection camera ray pierce Home Repair 7 July 7th 09 04:55 AM
HF new Wireless Inspection Camera Leon Fisk Metalworking 15 June 21st 09 07:54 PM