Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF new Wireless Inspection Camera

Just saw this new item in the latest flyer, "Wireless
Inspection Camera with 2.4" Color LCD Monitor". See:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=66550

===
Make easy visual inspections, even in hard-to-reach areas.

-Mini waterproof camera with 3ft. flexible extended tube

-4 ft. night vision range

-2.4" TFT-LCD (thin film transistor liquid crystal display)
wireless color monitor with rechargeable lithium ion battery

-LCD monitor can detach from hand hold for easier viewing

-Lightweight handheld design to easily find, diagnose and
solve problems

Requires four AA batteries (sold separately).

Monitor dimensions: 3.93" x 2.75" x 1.18"; Adapter input
power: 100-240 volts; Adapter output power: 8 volts DC;
Color configuration: R.G.B.delta

ITEM 66550
===

Currently on sale for $99.99. If I was still working I would
probably bite on it. Just one nasty job taken care of would
be worth it. I can remember numerous times that something
like this would have been a lifesaver.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Unfortunately nowhere in the ad or in the manual from hf's website do they
tell you the diameter of the probe! I found a lookalike in an Exatech
catalog, more $$ but with a bigger lcd screen, and that one says the camera
diameter is 18 mm. Guess that's why they aren't calling a borescope, where
10 mm is getting on the hefty side :-). If you see the hf one in person I'd
love to verify the diameter.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:32:19 GMT, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

Unfortunately nowhere in the ad or in the manual from hf's website do they
tell you the diameter of the probe! I found a lookalike in an Exatech
catalog, more $$ but with a bigger lcd screen, and that one says the camera
diameter is 18 mm. Guess that's why they aren't calling a borescope, where
10 mm is getting on the hefty side :-). If you see the hf one in person I'd
love to verify the diameter.

I noticed that fact missing too. I would suspect it is
similar to Milwaukee and Ridgid's offerings. Milwaukee says
that theirs will fit through a 3/4 inch hole. See:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...ductId=2310-21

or this model:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...ductId=2300-20

Ridgid claims the camera as 17mm, which would go into a 3/4
inch hole about right See:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Undergro...gies/index.htm

What I liked about the HF version was the price. I see that
Ridgid and Milwaukee have dropped their prices some too.
When the Rigid Snake Handheld first appeared a couple years
ago it was going for around $300.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

These things aren't reall intended as borescopes. They're more for
looking inside walls. I may well buy one. I used a buddy's Ridgid
version on a jobsite where there was a maze of crap behind the
sheetrock, and it definitely saved me a hundred dollars worth of time
pulling a few difficult cables.

And with the 20% coupon... I'll probably pick one up tomorrow.

Thanks, Leon, for separating me from a few more bucks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:32:19 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

snip
These things aren't reall intended as borescopes. They're more for
looking inside walls. I may well buy one. I used a buddy's Ridgid
version on a jobsite where there was a maze of crap behind the
sheetrock, and it definitely saved me a hundred dollars worth of time
pulling a few difficult cables.

And with the 20% coupon... I'll probably pick one up tomorrow.

Thanks, Leon, for separating me from a few more bucks.

Sorry about that money separation thingy ;-)

Boring a hole in the wall to fish some wires through was
always a dicey thing. No matter how much checking, detective
work you did beforehand, it might not work out. Then you had
a hole in the wall to fix and still needed to run your wires
somehow. Even more maddening was when you knew that your
pull wire was oh-so-close, but you just couldn't hook it to
pull through the hole, ARG!

If you do indeed bite on one, let us know just how chintzy
it is/isn't.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
[...]

You could easily bill five times that for just one medical procedure!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 3:51*pm, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:32:19 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

wrote:

snip

[...]

Well, as is the story of my life, a day late and a dollar short. The
sale is over, and it's back up to $139.99, so it will have to wait for
another day.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote:

Well, as is the story of my life, a day late and a dollar short. The
sale is over, and it's back up to $139.99, so it will have to wait for
another day.

If you ask the store manager nicely, he might extend the sale price another
day for you (it helps if you have interacted with him/her before).

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 07:04:06 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

snip
Well, as is the story of my life, a day late and a dollar short. The
sale is over, and it's back up to $139.99, so it will have to wait for
another day.

Hmm... that's interesting. The flyer I got the info from
just came in the mail this past Wednesday and prices are
suppose to be good till July 6. Must send out different
flyers depending on what area of the country your in?

My luck is that the item I want they don't have in stock. It
is a special run into town for me, ~45 mile round trip. I
just gave up making those trips. Felt like Charlie Brown and
Lucy pulling the football away once too often...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 20, 1:31*pm, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 07:04:06 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

wrote:

snip

Well, as is the story of my life, a day late and a dollar short. The
sale is over, and it's back up to $139.99, so it will have to wait for
another day.

Hmm... that's interesting. The flyer I got the info from
just came in the mail this past Wednesday and prices are
suppose to be good till July 6. Must send out different
flyers depending on what area of the country your in?

My luck is that the item I want they don't have in stock. It
is a special run into town for me, ~45 mile round trip. I
just gave up making those trips. Felt like Charlie Brown and
Lucy pulling the football away once too often...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids *MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

Can you tell me the item number in your catalog? Sometimes the numbers
and letters after the dash can change the price. I've seen different
prices for the same item (with different suffix) at the same time on
the web site.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:52:26 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

snip
Can you tell me the item number in your catalog? Sometimes the numbers
and letters after the dash can change the price. I've seen different
prices for the same item (with different suffix) at the same time on
the web site.

Retail Store flyer, if that matter any.

Lot number 66550, Cen-Tech Wireless Inspection Camera with
2.4" Color LCD Monitor. $99.99 - Regular price $139.99.

Hurry! Sale ends July 6, 2009

At the bottom of page 4 in the "Why Pay More Ad" he

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...=RET&si mple=

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

Retail Store flyer, if that matter any.

Lot number 66550, Cen-Tech Wireless Inspection Camera with
2.4" Color LCD Monitor. $99.99 - Regular price $139.99.

Hurry! Sale ends July 6, 2009

My local store is telling me that they are still available at the sale
price.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Can you tell me the item number in your catalog? Sometimes the numbers
and letters after the dash can change the price. I've seen different
prices for the same item (with different suffix) at the same time on
the web site.

Thanks

Just in case you haven't come across this yet - if you're buying
online and the usual HF system is listing a higher price than the
flyer, try the "order from printed catalog" link on the left side of
the main page.

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 20, 3:07*pm, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:52:26 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

snip

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...seBook.do?book...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids *MI/Zone 5b

OK, so I needed some other stuff, and my brother also needed a few
things, so we went to HF store this afternoon. I showed the girl the
web page and said that it should be $99.99. She said that the web and
store prices often disagree, and it was in fact $99.99, and yes they
were in stock. With the 20% off, it was $80.

So, I haven't played with it much (looked under the couch, inside my
shoe, stuff like that. My initial impression is that it will work fine
for what I need, but I'd be pretty careful about dropping it off a
ladder. On the other hand, I recall being pretty careful with the
Rigid unit as well, because A) it wasn't mine, and B) it just seemed
kind of breakable. Not exactly a quality you look for in jobsite
equipment, but with reasonable care, it should do fine.

The first time it finds me a better way (or even a possible way) to
get a wire from A to B, it will have paid for itself.

$.02
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 20, 9:17*pm, rangerssuck wrote:
On Jun 20, 3:07*pm, Leon Fisk wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:52:26 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

wrote:

snip

[...]

How is it in low light situations?

How wide of a field does it have?

What is its range of focus (close versus far)?

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 19:17:54 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

snip
So, I haven't played with it much (looked under the couch, inside my
shoe, stuff like that. My initial impression is that it will work fine
for what I need, but I'd be pretty careful about dropping it off a
ladder. On the other hand, I recall being pretty careful with the
Rigid unit as well, because A) it wasn't mine, and B) it just seemed
kind of breakable. Not exactly a quality you look for in jobsite
equipment, but with reasonable care, it should do fine.

The first time it finds me a better way (or even a possible way) to
get a wire from A to B, it will have paid for itself.

That kinda confirms my suspicions. Figured it would get the
job done, maybe not as many bell and whistles though as the
name brands.

I've got this one filed away in the brain somewhere for when
I the job justifies getting one.

If you get the chance take a diameter measurement of the
camera end. Carl wanted to know how big around the head was.
I suspect it is pretty close to 17mm like the other
offerings.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b