Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router dust collection

Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)
May I call upon your vast woodworking experience and knowledge?
Is there any such thing as effective dust collection for a router?
I have 3 Craftsman, 3 Hitachi, 3 Milwaukee, 2 Bosch and 2 DeWalt
routers. Of those, 9 are plunge routers.
I have purchased the dust collection devices for those for which such
devices were/are available. If I'm doing a "closed" operation (such as
the groove for installing shelf brackets/standards/strips, I have no
problem collecting the sawdust but any other operation results in clouds
of dust. (I may exaggerate just a bit but...)
I have the big Milwaukee, and 2 Hitachi M12Vs dedicated to router table
use and the collection isn't too bad.
But whenever I do a dado, etc...bad news.
So...is there any solution?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/15 1:51 PM, Max wrote:
Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)

HA!!! :-p

May I call upon your vast woodworking experience and knowledge? Is
there any such thing as effective dust collection for a router? I
have 3 Craftsman, 3 Hitachi, 3 Milwaukee, 2 Bosch and 2 DeWalt
routers. Of those, 9 are plunge routers. I have purchased the dust
collection devices for those for which such devices were/are
available. If I'm doing a "closed" operation (such as the groove for
installing shelf brackets/standards/strips, I have no problem
collecting the sawdust but any other operation results in clouds of
dust. (I may exaggerate just a bit but...) I have the big Milwaukee,
and 2 Hitachi M12Vs dedicated to router table use and the collection
isn't too bad. But whenever I do a dado, etc...bad news. So...is
there any solution?

When I have that problem, I try to use the built-in dust port PLUS
another flanged dust port or hood or nozzle that is either attached to a
separate shop vac, or coming off a "Y" splitter in the dust collector
hose.

It usually takes some experimentation with positioning and possibly a
way to make it "travel" with the router, but using an extra collection
port somewhere can really improve things.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote:

Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)
May I call upon your vast woodworking experience and knowledge?
Is there any such thing as effective dust collection for a router?

Take a look at this,

Dust-Free Routing:
This easy-to-make hood captures dust right at the source.
http://woodsmithtips.com/l/10f28-190987

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 2:51:19 PM UTC-5, Max wrote:
Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)
May I call upon your vast woodworking experience and knowledge?
Is there any such thing as effective dust collection for a router?
I have 3 Craftsman, 3 Hitachi, 3 Milwaukee, 2 Bosch and 2 DeWalt
routers. Of those, 9 are plunge routers.
I have purchased the dust collection devices for those for which such
devices were/are available. If I'm doing a "closed" operation (such as
the groove for installing shelf brackets/standards/strips, I have no
problem collecting the sawdust but any other operation results in clouds
of dust. (I may exaggerate just a bit but...)
I have the big Milwaukee, and 2 Hitachi M12Vs dedicated to router table
use and the collection isn't too bad.
But whenever I do a dado, etc...bad news.
So...is there any solution?

I feel your pain!

Just this weekend I took my routing task out into the cold outdoors so I didn't have to worry about the ridiculous amounts of sawdust that a router creates.

I had to remove the 3/8" raised panel from the backs of 5 drawer fronts so that I could mount them on new drawer boxes. I'd say it was just under 1 board foot of material in total. The snow on and around my picnic table is now covered by a thick layer of sawdust.

I'll be paying close attention to this thread.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 3:20:38 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Max" wrote:

Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)
May I call upon your vast woodworking experience and knowledge?
Is there any such thing as effective dust collection for a router?

Take a look at this,

Dust-Free Routing:
This easy-to-make hood captures dust right at the source.
http://woodsmithtips.com/l/10f28-190987

Lew

"This easy-to-make hood captures dust right at the source" assuming you are using a router table. Not exactly useful for the types of handheld operations (e.g. dados) that Max was asking about.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/15 2:10 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/27/15 1:51 PM, Max wrote:
Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)

HA!!! :-p

[...]

This is one of the things I use for doing this....
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/150512/2-12-Dust-Source-Rigid-Flex-Set.aspx

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2015 1:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I do about 75% of routing (other than at the router table) outside. I
live in El Paso and weather usually permits that. But it's those unusual
days of inclement weather that pith me off.
I have an Oneida "Super Gorilla" dust collector for the router table
(and other power tools)
I'm well pleased with my Festool track saw and it's dust collecting
ability. (Festool haters, save it.) ;-)
I just wish I could find a way to "rout" without all the dust.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2015 1:20 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Max" wrote:

Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)
May I call upon your vast woodworking experience and knowledge?
Is there any such thing as effective dust collection for a router?

Take a look at this,

Dust-Free Routing:
This easy-to-make hood captures dust right at the source.
http://woodsmithtips.com/l/10f28-190987

Lew

Looks good but I don't have too much dust trouble using the table.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2015 1:10 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/27/15 1:51 PM, Max wrote:
Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)

HA!!! :-p

[...]

:-(
I'm hoping that someone somewhere makes such an accessory 'cause I've
been experimenting without much success.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 4:02:57 PM UTC-5, Max wrote:
On 1/27/2015 1:10 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/27/15 1:51 PM, Max wrote:
Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)

HA!!! :-p

[...]

A couple of options...

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/d5Hv1v1WJLg/maxresdefault.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/..._chute_001.JPG

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2015 2:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 4:02:57 PM UTC-5, Max wrote:
On 1/27/2015 1:10 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/27/15 1:51 PM, Max wrote:
Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)

HA!!! :-p

[...]

I saw that. Interesting.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/..._chute_001.JPG

Looks a little awkward but I'm beginning to get ideas. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2015 1:47 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/27/15 2:10 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/27/15 1:51 PM, Max wrote:
Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)

HA!!! :-p

[...]

I'm going to order that and see what I can do. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote:

isn't too bad. But whenever I do a dado, etc...bad news. So...is
there any solution?

That's why table saws have stacked dado sets available.

Does a faster, cleaner way of doing the job.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2015 4:37 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Max" wrote:

isn't too bad. But whenever I do a dado, etc...bad news. So...is
there any solution?

That's why table saws have stacked dado sets available.

Does a faster, cleaner way of doing the job.

Lew

I agree that it's "cleaner" but,for me, it ain't faster. If I could
remember which spacers to use to get a true 23/32" it might be faster
but putting a 23/32" bit in a plunge router and running it along a
purpose made straight edge is pretty quick. I can do it a lot faster
than I can change blades on the saw never mind figuring out which
spacers to use. ;-)
'course cleaning up the dust afterwards takes a little time too. :-(

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote:

isn't too bad. But whenever I do a dado, etc...bad news. So...is
there any solution?

That's why table saws have stacked dado sets available.

Does a faster, cleaner way of doing the job.

Lew

I agree that it's "cleaner" but,for me, it ain't faster. If I could
remember which spacers to use to get a true 23/32" it might be faster
but putting a 23/32" bit in a plunge router and running it along a
purpose made straight edge is pretty quick. I can do it a lot faster
than I can change blades on the saw never mind figuring out which
spacers to use. ;-)

I've never found two sheets, particularly purchased at separate times,
that are close enough to the same thickness to bother remembering
which spacers to use. I'm luck if all the edges are the same
thickness. ;-)

'course cleaning up the dust afterwards takes a little time too. :-(

Maybe you should get one of those metal lathe things? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote:

I agree that it's "cleaner" but,for me, it ain't faster. If I could
remember which spacers to use to get a true 23/32" it might be
faster but putting a 23/32" bit in a plunge router and running it
along a purpose made straight edge is pretty quick. I can do it a
lot faster than I can change blades on the saw never mind figuring
out which spacers to use.
'course cleaning up the dust afterwards takes a little time too.

Sounds like you are making a lot of extra work.

If I were to do a 23/32" dado, I'd set the stacked dado to 1/2"-5/8"
(it's not critical as long as it is greater than 1/2 of the 23/32"
final size.)

Set the fence so that the final cut edge of the dado on the right edge
is closest to the fence.

Run the dado thru then reset fence so that the dado will cut the final
edge
on the left side.

Since the stack dado is less than 23/32", the 2nd cut removes
only the exact amount of material req'd.

Run the piece again to complete the dado.

You're done, time for a beerG.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote:

[...]

I'm not that good of a fence resetter. And I do have home made straight
edges for all the thicknesses I've encountered for dadoes. I cut a piece
of 1X2 and run it through the jointer to make sure it's straight then
fasten it in the center of a piece of masonite. Run the router over one
side for one size dado (bit) and the other side for a different size. I
have several "straight edges" made thataway.

Since the stack dado is less than 23/32", the 2nd cut removes
only the exact amount of material req'd.

I do that for the grooves in a frame and panel door. Set the blade
height for however deep I want the panel in the frame. No blade changes.

Run the piece again to complete the dado.

You're done, time for a beerG.

Lew

But, but, you're making two cuts. And you have to reset the fence. I
only make one and it's precise. I use a caliper to measure the board
thickness and use a bit of the size I need.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-------------------------------------
"Max" wrote:

I'm not that good of a fence resetter. And I do have home made
straight edges for all the thicknesses I've encountered for dadoes.
I cut a piece of 1X2 and run it through the jointer to make sure
it's straight then fasten it in the center of a piece of masonite.
Run the router over one side for one size dado (bit) and the other
side for a different size. I have several "straight edges" made
thataway.

Since the stack dado is less than 23/32", the 2nd cut removes
only the exact amount of material req'd.

I do that for the grooves in a frame and panel door. Set the blade
height for however deep I want the panel in the frame. No blade
changes.

What ever floats your boat. Using a dado set does not require blade
changes.

Sounds like a high quality fence might be in order.

A good fence made a major change in the way I approach a job.

The dado set solves the dust collection problem which was what
started this thread in the first place.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/15 5:07 PM, Max wrote:
On 1/27/2015 1:47 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/27/15 2:10 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/27/15 1:51 PM, Max wrote:
Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)

HA!!! :-p

[...]

They have a 4" version, too, in case you're using it on the dust
collector.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote in
web.com:

Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)
May I call upon your vast woodworking experience and knowledge?
Is there any such thing as effective dust collection for a router?
I have 3 Craftsman, 3 Hitachi, 3 Milwaukee, 2 Bosch and 2 DeWalt
routers. Of those, 9 are plunge routers.
I have purchased the dust collection devices for those for which such
devices were/are available. If I'm doing a "closed" operation (such as
the groove for installing shelf brackets/standards/strips, I have no
problem collecting the sawdust but any other operation results in
clouds of dust. (I may exaggerate just a bit but...)
I have the big Milwaukee, and 2 Hitachi M12Vs dedicated to router
table use and the collection isn't too bad.
But whenever I do a dado, etc...bad news.
So...is there any solution?

I've found a Ryobi palm router has great dust collection skills,
especially since I couldn't pass up a deal on a Bosch Colt. :-)

For the other kind of dust collection, I've found the fixed base for my
big router to be much more effective than the plunge base. Part of it
seems to be enclosing the dust collection area so there's still a vacuum
near the bit. Take this with a bit of salt, though, as I haven't done
much with the big router in a while. I got one of those metal lathe
things and it's been keeping the woodworking part of the shop clean.
(Seriously! Most of my shop time of late has been playing with the
metal lathe.)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2015 8:55 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Sounds like a high quality fence might be in order.

I have a Unifence.

A good fence made a major change in the way I approach a job.

The dado set solves the dust collection problem which was what
started this thread in the first place.

Lew

I can't argue with that. ;-)

A change in process might be in order but I sure am attached to routers
and good bits. :-(

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:
Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)
May I call upon your vast woodworking experience and knowledge?
Is there any such thing as effective dust collection for a router?
I have 3 Craftsman, 3 Hitachi, 3 Milwaukee, 2 Bosch and 2 DeWalt
routers. Of those, 9 are plunge routers.
I have purchased the dust collection devices for those for which such
devices were/are available. If I'm doing a "closed" operation (such as
the groove for installing shelf brackets/standards/strips, I have no
problem collecting the sawdust but any other operation results in clouds
of dust. (I may exaggerate just a bit but...)
I have the big Milwaukee, and 2 Hitachi M12Vs dedicated to router table
use and the collection isn't too bad.
But whenever I do a dado, etc...bad news.
So...is there any solution?

I also use a router table when possible, otherwise I put the workpiece
on my home-built sanding table/air cleaner and it pulls nearly
everything in. It has three filters, and the coarse top filter
catches the sawdust so I can pick it up with the dust collector hose
when I am through.

--
 GW Ross

 Insanity is hereditary. You get it
 from your kids.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Sounds like a high quality fence might be in order.

"Max" wrote:

I have a Unifence.

It's a great fence. Sounds like you haven't got to the point where
you feel confident using it to it's best advantage.

When I first got my Unifence, it took a little time before it became
my "go to" tool to solve a task.

Now it is my first choice.

Might want to give it another whirl, especially for dados.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:
Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)
May I call upon your vast woodworking experience and knowledge?
Is there any such thing as effective dust collection for a router?
I have 3 Craftsman, 3 Hitachi, 3 Milwaukee, 2 Bosch and 2 DeWalt routers.
Of those, 9 are plunge routers.
I have purchased the dust collection devices for those for which such
devices were/are available. If I'm doing a "closed" operation (such as
the groove for installing shelf brackets/standards/strips, I have no
problem collecting the sawdust but any other operation results in clouds
of dust. (I may exaggerate just a bit but...)
I have the big Milwaukee, and 2 Hitachi M12Vs dedicated to router table
use and the collection isn't too bad.
But whenever I do a dado, etc...bad news.
So...is there any solution?

Getting here late, look at Festool
http://youtu.be/8KMU9Zh0hpk

http://youtu.be/5dR2EDyeJHY

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/1/2015 7:24 AM, Leon wrote:
Max wrote:

I have the big Milwaukee, and 2 Hitachi M12Vs dedicated to router table
use and the collection isn't too bad.
But whenever I do a dado, etc...bad news.
So...is there any solution?

Getting here late, look at Festool
http://youtu.be/8KMU9Zh0hpk

http://youtu.be/5dR2EDyeJHY

Looks like the little dust shield on the bottom is key.

Pricey. I think I'll struggle along with my current inventory of
routers. :-(

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 10:23:10 -0700, Max wrote:

On 2/1/2015 7:24 AM, Leon wrote:
Max wrote:

I have the big Milwaukee, and 2 Hitachi M12Vs dedicated to router table
use and the collection isn't too bad.
But whenever I do a dado, etc...bad news.
So...is there any solution?

Getting here late, look at Festool
http://youtu.be/8KMU9Zh0hpk

http://youtu.be/5dR2EDyeJHY

Looks like the little dust shield on the bottom is key.

For edge routing it's important, sure. Of course it won't work for
anything in the middle of the board. The dust collection works for
all cuts, though.

Pricey. I think I'll struggle along with my current inventory of
routers. :-(

It's Festool. Of course it's pricey. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 1:51:19 PM UTC-6, Max wrote:
Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)
May I call upon your vast woodworking experience and knowledge?
Is there any such thing as effective dust collection for a router?
I have 3 Craftsman, 3 Hitachi, 3 Milwaukee, 2 Bosch and 2 DeWalt
routers. Of those, 9 are plunge routers.
I have purchased the dust collection devices for those for which such
devices were/are available. If I'm doing a "closed" operation (such as
the groove for installing shelf brackets/standards/strips, I have no
problem collecting the sawdust but any other operation results in clouds
of dust. (I may exaggerate just a bit but...)
I have the big Milwaukee, and 2 Hitachi M12Vs dedicated to router table
use and the collection isn't too bad.
But whenever I do a dado, etc...bad news.
So...is there any solution?

My definitive answer is "it depends"... on the router and setup.

I have a couple of routers - and ancient Craftsman and a Bosch plunge kit. Both have accessory collector fittings that do a decent job when hooked up to my shop vac.

The Bosch spends some time in my home-built router table and I built a collection chamber and vacuum hookup into the fence. It probably catches about 80-80% of the debris, but some still falls to the floor beneath the table (built into a wing of my table saw). I have been tempted to box the bottom of the table and add another vacuum pickup but haven't got around to it. Probably won't because the small amount of debris is easy to clean up.