Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mid-size Plunger Router - with dust collection!

I'm starting to look for a new plunge router, at least 2.25 hp,
preferably with good dust collection. I've been switching back and
forth between a PC 690 with a plunge base and a PC 7539, which is a
3.25hp plunger and a real beast. Neither have dedicated dust
collection. When template routing or using a guide bushing I'm
frequently frustrated by having to stop and blow out the chips so that
the bushing rides smoothly against the template I'm using. And when I
restart, there is often times a noticeable bump or ridge where I've
had to start again and/or replunge the router. And if I don't blow
out the chips often enough, I've had deviation from the template where
chips gathered and, well, it sucks. It's most noticeable in the
corners, so I slow down, and then I get burning, which I can pretty
much never get out without ruining the profile. And the snowball
effect continues. So I'm taking recommendations for a plunger with
the ability to hook up some sort of shop vac or dust collector. Or
perhaps one that has a self-vac set-up a la some sanders I've seen.
(Although I've never seen a router like this..) My gut is that
Festool is the way to go, but man that's a pricey nut.
TIA
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 18, 10:47*pm, JayPique wrote:
[...]

dewalt 621 - 2hp... an excellent, if old, router

shelly
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/18/2011 11:06 PM, wrote:
On Nov 18, 10:47 pm, wrote:
[...]

The 621 would be good, but it's "only" 2HP and "only" a plunge router. I have
the 2-1/4HP 618B3 kit:

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/woodwork...s-dw618b3.aspx

The dust collection on the plunge base works great, and the versatility of
having plunge, D-handle, and dual-grip bases is quite handy.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"JayPique" wrote:

[...]

---------------------------------
The PC equipment above doesn't have a particularly good track record.

Since you want power and dust collection, why not build a router
station
with a router lift and a big fixed router such as a Milwaukee 5625
router
for router table?

http://tinyurl.com/yfgpay7

Then add a small combo kit with a fixed and plunge base to complete
the
package.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/18/2011 9:47 PM, JayPique wrote:
[...]

The problem with dust collection and the PC 690 is that the first
sawdust ever created had not yet settled when the 690 was invented. ;~)

My next new router will be a Festool. As you well know it is pricey but
after buying a Festool you never wonder if you should have gotten
another brand.
Posted to rec.woodworking

JayPique wrote:
[...]

I have an Elu plunge router, which became the DeWalt 621. It's excellent,
and I have heard good things about the DeWalt. Amazon is running a deal
currently with $25 off any qualifying DeWalt tool, and this includes all
the routers. The Amazon price on the 621 would be $215.

But it has the problem you're trying to solve, namely dust goes
everywhere. I try to do most of my routing outside.

If I were going to get one new great router, I would probably look closely
at the Festool line, though you're right they're pricey: the smaller one
(the 1400) is $485, the bigger one (the 2200) is $825. They're pretty
amazing for dust control (Marc Spagnuolo has a good video he
http://tinyurl.com/d67rvhb). There is also the 1010, the trim router
that takes 1/4" and 8mm bits. But you can get DeWalt's package of their
1/4"/8mm trim router and two bases (fixed and plunge) right now for $143
on Amazon (with the $25 discount), so I probably wouldn't go for this one.

If you're going to do a lot of table work, I would consider following the
advice of someone here a while back and get a shaper instead, with an
adapter for router bits. The Grizzly shapers start at $550, and are well
reviewed; that price isn't much different from a large router and a
good-quality above-the-table adjustment plate. Here's a couple of price
comparisons:

Grizzly G1035 1.5 HP shaper: $565, plus $74 shipping = $639
Shop Fox Shop G4792 2HP shaper: $850, $94 shipping = 944

Keep in mind these have induction motors, and not the universal motors
that routers have. They can run on 220 or 110v current, and draw
24 amps 110 and 12 amps 220 (G4792), and 16/8 amps (the G1035).
The DeWalt 621 draws 10 amps at 110v, and the PC 7539 draws 15. So
(I think) the 1.5 HP shaper has a more powerful motor than the
3.5HP Porter-Cable you have.

Some router and router lift prices:

JessEm Mast-R-Lift II $350
Milwaukee 5625 3.5HP router: $260
That's $610, and you still need the tabletop and base.

OTOH you can take the router out and use it freehand, which you can't
(easily) do with a shaper!

So I guess you need to take into acount the type of work you're doing, and
what seems critical is whether you want and need a handheld router
bigger than the trim router size. If not, I would do the trim router +
shaper route, probably. If you need s handheld big router and dust
collection, the Festool seems like the best option, if you can swing the
samoleons.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
Some router and router lift prices:
JessEm Mast-R-Lift II $350
Milwaukee 5625 3.5HP router: $260
That's $610, and you still need the tabletop and base.

I use the 5625 with a Rockler plate on a home-made table... absolutely no
need for a router lift. I can micro-adjust the router from under the table
or above and press a single button to raise it all the way up. I keep
wondering what a $350 lift would do that I cannot already? (But I do wish
my it had a soft start, the starting torque is a bear when I hand hold it.)

Cheers, Shawn

Posted to rec.woodworking

dewalt 621 - 2hp... an excellent, if old, router

shelly

The 621 would be good, but it's "only" 2HP and "only" a plunge router. *I
have
the 2-1/4HP 618B3 kit:

I believe the 621 is more accurate (not that I'm so capable!)

Still, It goes through whatever I want it to.

shelly