Edwin Pawlowski

Default Dust Collection Intake Port Size Question

"JT" wrote in message
I am thinking about getting the Grizzley 1029 DC. It has one 6 inch
intake with a wye connector that splits it down to two 4 inch intakes.
Is it advisable to use a 6 inch to 4 inch reducer if you plan to use
only one intake path? If not, should a blast gate be installed at the
wye so one intake can be cut off?

I'm not sure of your question. You want to run a 6" main trunk line and
then reduce to 4" at the DC? If so, no. You want to remove the y and run
6" all the way.

If you reduce from 6 to 4 you will have a severe reduction in velocity.
Ed

Steve Knight

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:19:32 -0400, JT wrote:

I am thinking about getting the Grizzley 1029 DC. It has one 6 inch
intake with a wye connector that splits it down to two 4 inch intakes.
Is it advisable to use a 6 inch to 4 inch reducer if you plan to use
only one intake path? If not, should a blast gate be installed at the
wye so one intake can be cut off?

better if you can to use 6" pipe/hose to the tool. you will get far better flow.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Paul Andersen

I would use either a blast gate or a cap on the unused 4" intake, that
way you can add on later, if needed, without having to make changes to
the existing pipes.

Woodchip

JT wrote in message . ..
I am thinking about getting the Grizzley 1029 DC. It has one 6 inch
intake with a wye connector that splits it down to two 4 inch intakes.
Is it advisable to use a 6 inch to 4 inch reducer if you plan to use
only one intake path? If not, should a blast gate be installed at the
wye so one intake can be cut off?

Bob G

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"JT" wrote in message

I am thinking about getting the Grizzley 1029 DC. It has one 6 inch
intake with a wye connector that splits it down to two 4 inch intakes.
Is it advisable to use a 6 inch to 4 inch reducer if you plan to use
only one intake path? If not, should a blast gate be installed at the
wye so one intake can be cut off?

I'm not sure of your question. You want to run a 6" main trunk line and
then reduce to 4" at the DC? If so, no. You want to remove the y and run
6" all the way.

If you reduce from 6 to 4 you will have a severe reduction in velocity.
Ed

My older Griz 1029 used a 5 in opening that branched off into 4 in
wyes... Odered a new plate which has a 6 inch opening from which I
intend to run a 6 inch trunk and 45 degree 6 to 4 inch reducers at
each machine connected to my old 4 in blast gates...then 4 inch hose to
the tool itself

Wanted the 6 inch main trunk ....

Bob Griffiths

Paul Andersen wrote:
: I would use either a blast gate or a cap on the unused 4" intake, that
: way you can add on later, if needed, without having to make changes to
: the existing pipes.

Unless it's been changed in the last 2 years, the 1029 has a 5" intake
and I'm fairly certain the 5-to-dual-4 Y that came with it also
*included* a cap for one of the 4". If you're using 4" flex hose this
is a perfectly adequate solution.

If you're running pipe, I'd take off the Y. My DC pipe is 4"
schedule-40 PVC; conveniently, 5" flex hose fits nicely around the
outside of this (with a 5" clamp to draw it tight), so the final
connection to my 1029 is a short length of 5" flex. Works great.

The 1029 is a good machine. I've been quite happy with mine.

-Brett

--
Brett B. Bonner This planet needs a lot more kids who think
taking the lawnmower's engine apart is *way*