Jim Bailey

Default Router table dust collection advice

I've almost finished a new router table and I' thinking about dust
collection for it. I don't plan to pipe my shop and I have a 4" quick
disconnect on my DC host that i use on my planer, jointer, and another
router table, at the cutter/fence only.

I'd like to come up with a plan to have a collection point under (at) the
router itself (it's boxed in), then somehow 'T' off that externally to
another that goes up to the fence (Woodpecker with 2 1/2" fitting), so that
I can simply hook my quick disconnect into a single point and draw from both
areas.

I'm thinking that 2 1/2" hose on each area would be fine for this purpose -
am I wrong ? Then adapt it out for the 4" disconnect.

I also see though that the most available (selection) fittings/hose are 4",
so I don't know if I can come up with an appropriate setup anyway.

Has anyone else done this ? Ideas ? Is my explanation clear ?

jim

Steven and Gail Peterson

I am a few years ahead of you, both in building a router table, and in
frustration at dust collection. I have made and remade a few fences trying
to get something acceptable. Don't even think of anything smaller than 2.5
in, and you still have to find the smallest area for air to move through. I
have used "through the fence" systems, but there is always sawdust escaping,
and some always goes through the hole for the bit and collects down there.
And there is always dust falling down into the rotating router. I think I
will have to add dust collection under the table. If you find the ideal
system, let me know.

Steve

"Jim Bailey" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Jim Behning

A plastic pail or container of some sort bungee corded up with a 2.5"
hole at the bottom, Some sort of port at the bottom. Make a manifold
box with 4 inch hole at the bottom and a few 2.5 inch holes in the
top. Both ideas seen at the Gwinnett Woodworkers group meeting a month
ago.

"Jim Bailey" wrote in message
[...]

arw01

Working on the same problems, but trying how to duplicate this from the
maker of most of the router workshop jigs:

http://us.oak-park.com/catalogue.html?list=BP--

Thier site is aweful, but the plate is interesting...

Patriarch

"Jim Bailey" wrote in
:

I've almost finished a new router table and I' thinking about dust
collection for it. I'd like to come up with a plan to have a collection
point under (at)
the router itself (it's boxed in), then somehow 'T' off that
externally to another that goes up to the fence (Woodpecker with 2
1/2" fitting), so that I can simply hook my quick disconnect into a
single point and draw from both areas.

I did a similar thing, using 2 1/2 off of the fence, and 2 1/2 out of the
(Woodpecker) box underneath. These both run into a wye sweep 60 degree
fitting that I found at the hardware store (sewer & drain). It hooks up to
the most convenient of the dust collection sources, depending on how the
shop is arranged at the moment - shop vac, rollabout small DC, or big Delta
DC with a seperator. The table is on wheels, and where it sits depends a
lot on what size the job is, and how nice the weather is.

Air velocity at the fence seems to be a major factor in chip clearance and
quality of cut.

Patriarch
toller

I have a 4" port in the base of my router table to the DC, and a 2.5" pipe
goes from the base to the back of the fence. It is pretty much dust free
when I use the fence. Without the fence it is still pretty dusty.

Jim Bailey

Thanks Patriarch. This sounds like exactly what I'm talking about. I can
get some 2 1/2 hose to run down from the fence to the sweep 'Y'. The 'Y' is
2 1/2 " ? Or were you at 4" there ? So these plumbing/sewer fittings fit OK
with DC parts ? What did you use to connect into the box ? You wouldn't
happen to have a picture around would you ?

jim

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Jim Bailey" wrote in
:

[...]

Jim Bailey

Toller - with 4" at the bottom, you don't see any problem with the larger
line 'stealing' efficiency from the top, smaller line ? Or vice versa (I
don't know a lot about the velocity changes etc that would occur) ?

jim

"toller" wrote in message
news
I have a 4" port in the base of my router table to the DC, and a 2.5" pipe
goes from the base to the back of the fence. It is pretty much dust free
when I use the fence. Without the fence it is still pretty dusty.

toller

Actually the balance seems just about right. The hole in the top of the
router plate is about 2", so about half the airflow is from the plate and
about half from the fence.

"Jim Bailey" wrote in message
.. .
Toller - with 4" at the bottom, you don't see any problem with the larger
line 'stealing' efficiency from the top, smaller line ? Or vice versa (I
don't know a lot about the velocity changes etc that would occur) ?

jim

"toller" wrote in message
news
I have a 4" port in the base of my router table to the DC, and a 2.5"
pipe
goes from the base to the back of the fence. It is pretty much dust free
when I use the fence. Without the fence it is still pretty dusty.

I have the same set-up as toller (4" base and 2.5" fence). I was
afraid of too much pull from the base, so I joined the 2.5 and 4 with a
T connection the 2.5 is a the straight shot to the dust collector, the
4" is joined at 90 degrees. Seemed like a good idea, don't really know
if it works or not, seems to.

2.5 fence-------------------dust collector

4" to base

Dave

Pat Barber

Joe Johns built a pretty spiffy table with dust
collection at the top and bottom.

http://www.accessmontana.com/woodwork/router.htm

Jim Bailey wrote:

[...]

Patriarch

"Jim Bailey" wrote in
:

Thanks Patriarch. This sounds like exactly what I'm talking about. I
can get some 2 1/2 hose to run down from the fence to the sweep 'Y'.
The 'Y' is 2 1/2 " ? Or were you at 4" there ? So these
plumbing/sewer fittings fit OK with DC parts ? What did you use to
connect into the box ? You wouldn't happen to have a picture around
would you ?

jim

A picture would be way too ugly for posting on Usenet. ;-)

The bottom of the box has an outlet made by jigsawing a hole in the plywood
bottom to fit a floor tool from an old shopvac. The leaks are sealed with
caulk and duct tape, and the hose is clamped with a screw clamp. The hose
on the back of the fence fits the fitting supplied. The plumbing parts are
those which fit the hose I took to my local, well-supplied, independent
hardware store (there's a gloat, BTW) 5 blocks from my house.

(2.5 * 2) in, 2.5 out. I convert to 4" at the trash can seperator only if
I connect there. Often, this goes directly into one of the shopvacs.

It's nothing fancy. Bill Pentz would likely cringe at the sight of it.
But the chips are cleared, don't build up much in the router box, when I
remember to close the door, and I can move stuff around when I need to
change how the table works.

Hope that helped some.

Patriarch