Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router dust collection

"Max" wrote:

isn't too bad. But whenever I do a dado, etc...bad news. So...is
there any solution?

Lew Hodgett wrote:

That's why table saws have stacked dado sets available.

Does a faster, cleaner way of doing the job.

Lew

"Max" wrote:

I agree that it's "cleaner" but,for me, it ain't faster. If I could
remember which spacers to use to get a true 23/32" it might be
faster but putting a 23/32" bit in a plunge router and running it
along a purpose made straight edge is pretty quick. I can do it a
lot faster than I can change blades on the saw never mind figuring
out which spacers to use.
'course cleaning up the dust afterwards takes a little time too.

Sounds like you are making a lot of extra work.

If I were to do a 23/32" dado, I'd set the stacked dado to 1/2"-5/8"
(it's not critical as long as it is greater than 1/2 of the 23/32"
final size.)

Set the fence so that the final cut edge of the dado on the right edge
is closest to the fence.

Run the dado thru then reset fence so that the dado will cut the final
edge
on the left side.

Since the stack dado is less than 23/32", the 2nd cut removes
only the exact amount of material req'd.

Run the piece again to complete the dado.

You're done, time for a beerG.

Lew