Posted to rec.woodworking
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Router dust collection

Max wrote:
Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)
May I call upon your vast woodworking experience and knowledge?
Is there any such thing as effective dust collection for a router?
I have 3 Craftsman, 3 Hitachi, 3 Milwaukee, 2 Bosch and 2 DeWalt
routers. Of those, 9 are plunge routers.
I have purchased the dust collection devices for those for which such
devices were/are available. If I'm doing a "closed" operation (such as
the groove for installing shelf brackets/standards/strips, I have no
problem collecting the sawdust but any other operation results in clouds
of dust. (I may exaggerate just a bit but...)
I have the big Milwaukee, and 2 Hitachi M12Vs dedicated to router table
use and the collection isn't too bad.
But whenever I do a dado, etc...bad news.
So...is there any solution?

I also use a router table when possible, otherwise I put the workpiece
on my home-built sanding table/air cleaner and it pulls nearly
everything in. It has three filters, and the coarse top filter
catches the sawdust so I can pick it up with the dust collector hose
when I am through.

--
 GW Ross

 Insanity is hereditary. You get it