Posted to rec.woodworking
Max[_6_] Max[_6_] is offline

Default Router dust collection

On 1/27/2015 2:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 4:02:57 PM UTC-5, Max wrote:
On 1/27/2015 1:10 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/27/15 1:51 PM, Max wrote:
Gentlemen, (you too, -MIKE-)

HA!!! :-p

May I call upon your vast woodworking experience and knowledge? Is
there any such thing as effective dust collection for a router? I
have 3 Craftsman, 3 Hitachi, 3 Milwaukee, 2 Bosch and 2 DeWalt
routers. Of those, 9 are plunge routers. I have purchased the dust
collection devices for those for which such devices were/are
available. If I'm doing a "closed" operation (such as the groove for
installing shelf brackets/standards/strips, I have no problem
collecting the sawdust but any other operation results in clouds of
dust. (I may exaggerate just a bit but...) I have the big Milwaukee,
and 2 Hitachi M12Vs dedicated to router table use and the collection
isn't too bad. But whenever I do a dado, etc...bad news. So...is
there any solution?

When I have that problem, I try to use the built-in dust port PLUS
another flanged dust port or hood or nozzle that is either attached to a
separate shop vac, or coming off a "Y" splitter in the dust collector
hose.

It usually takes some experimentation with positioning and possibly a
way to make it "travel" with the router, but using an extra collection
port somewhere can really improve things.

:-(
I'm hoping that someone somewhere makes such an accessory 'cause I've
been experimenting without much success.

A couple of options...

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/d5Hv1v1WJLg/maxresdefault.jpg

I saw that. Interesting.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/..._chute_001.JPG

Looks a little awkward but I'm beginning to get ideas. Thanks.