Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router dust collection

"Lew Hodgett wrote:

Sounds like you are making a lot of extra work.

If I were to do a 23/32" dado, I'd set the stacked dado to
1/2"-5/8"
(it's not critical as long as it is greater than 1/2 of the 23/32"
final size.)

Set the fence so that the final cut edge of the dado on the right
edge
is closest to the fence.

Run the dado thru then reset fence so that the dado will cut the
final
edge
on the left side.

-------------------------------------
"Max" wrote:

I'm not that good of a fence resetter. And I do have home made
straight edges for all the thicknesses I've encountered for dadoes.
I cut a piece of 1X2 and run it through the jointer to make sure
it's straight then fasten it in the center of a piece of masonite.
Run the router over one side for one size dado (bit) and the other
side for a different size. I have several "straight edges" made
thataway.

Since the stack dado is less than 23/32", the 2nd cut removes
only the exact amount of material req'd.

I do that for the grooves in a frame and panel door. Set the blade
height for however deep I want the panel in the frame. No blade
changes.

What ever floats your boat. Using a dado set does not require blade
changes.

Sounds like a high quality fence might be in order.

A good fence made a major change in the way I approach a job.

The dado set solves the dust collection problem which was what
started this thread in the first place.

Lew