Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gluing Composite Material

I have 3 broken Queen Ann ball & claw stool legs to repair. The legs are made of some sort of composite material. What is needed to glue these back together, epoxy or something else.

I'll likely drill new holes in the tops of the legs, for attaching to the wooden seat frame, but I'd like to glue the upper "corner" broken pieces, where the original attaching screws are located, back together for more structural support of the legs.

I don't know what should be used for gluing composite material and I don't know what kind of composite material this is.

Thanks for any help.
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/31/2014 3:44 PM, Sonny wrote:
I have 3 broken Queen Ann ball & claw stool legs to repair. The legs are made of some sort of composite material. What is needed to glue these back together, epoxy or something else.

I'll likely drill new holes in the tops of the legs, for attaching to the wooden seat frame, but I'd like to glue the upper "corner" broken pieces, where the original attaching screws are located, back together for more structural support of the legs.

I don't know what should be used for gluing composite material and I don't know what kind of composite material this is.

Thanks for any help.
Sonny

Well in order to know, I have to know the material.
Epoxy works on most materials, but not all as you know.

Is it a waxy type of composite.
Plastic based? MEK is the best glue

Is it resin based? Not sure

Is it fiberglass based... epoxy...
carbon fiber epoxy.

Nylon... CA or epoxy.

Poly...(something) CA..

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

System3

http://www.systemthree.com/

"Sonny" wrote:

I have 3 broken Queen Ann ball & claw stool legs to repair. The legs
are made of some sort of composite material. What is needed to glue
these back together, epoxy or something else.

I'll likely drill new holes in the tops of the legs, for attaching
to the wooden seat frame, but I'd like to glue the upper "corner"
broken pieces, where the original attaching screws are located, back
together for more structural support of the legs.

I don't know what should be used for gluing composite material and I
don't know what kind of composite material this is.

Straight epoxy and fairing putty made with epoxy thickened with
microballoons
would be my choices based on having mixed large quantities of each.

Contact System3 and talk to their tech guys (They are GOOD) and get
their input.

http://www.systemthree.com/

They have an 800# if you need it.

BTW, thickened epoxy can be used to replace chipped out pieces and
improve
strength significantly.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/31/2014 3:03 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Add this - if it's a plastic type material look up G-Flex epoxy.
Made my West System especially for gluing difficult plastics,
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny,

What did you finally decide to do?

Lew

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

System3

http://www.systemthree.com/

"Sonny" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, March 2, 2014 8:58:59 PM UTC-6, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Sonny, What did you finally decide to do? Lew

I decided to put that project to the side, for the time being. This project was brought to my attention while doing several upholstery projects for the lady's cousin. I have another upholstery customer to take care of, before focusing on these broken composite stool (legs). I've written down all the suggestions and will decide, later, what to do about those legs. Thanks for everyone's help.

Here's a pic of the texture of the composite material. The brown/yellow color is not correct, but a product of the camera not flashing.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/12905279894/

This is more the correct color of the composite material. The legs are broken where the screws attach the legs to the stool's seat frame.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...n/photostream/

Off hand, I don't have faith in "gluing" the pieces back together. I suspect those glue sites will be weaker than the original material. For reattaching the legs to the seat frame, I've considered drilling a hole through the seat frame and into the main body of the leg shoulders, then better secure the legs with a large bolt, of some kind, in addition to the reattaching the legs at their original screw sites, after "gluing" those pieces back together.

Since I'm retired, I don't rush anything. Since the shop incident (amputated fingers - and nothing has, and likely will, come of that. The maid is no longer in a clinic and she has called, asking to continue her housekeeping job.), I've finished the carcasses and shelves of the bathroom corner cabinets, I have the face frames and doors, yet, to do; I've installed the entertainment center (EC), though I have yet to make the shelves, doors and face frames. The shop is now cleared of that EC carcass bulk. It's nice to have access to that work space, again; When I've had a chance, I've been planing lots of old pine flooring, to install in my sister's home. Last week, I did a home roof inspection and found a 5'X5' damaged porch overhang/corner area, so I spent 2 days repairing that. It's primed & caulked and I need to touchup caulk, then paint the soffit and facia.

Next major projects: Mow & weed eat the lawn and till the veggie garden for spring planting.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote:

I decided to put that project to the side, for the time being. This
project was brought to my attention while doing several upholstery
projects for the lady's cousin. I have another upholstery customer to
take care of, before focusing on these broken composite stool (legs).
I've written down all the suggestions and will decide, later, what to
do about those legs. Thanks for everyone's help.

Here's a pic of the texture of the composite material. The
brown/yellow color is not correct, but a product of the camera not
flashing.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/12905279894/

This is more the correct color of the composite material. The legs
are broken where the screws attach the legs to the stool's seat frame.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...n/photostream/

snip
It would appear that the legs are molded urethane.

IMO, mechanical fasteners will not solve your problem.

When you get around to doing this job, why not take as many detailed
photos as useful showing not only the damaged parts but also what a
non
damaged leg connection looks like, then contact System 3 application
engineering and see what they suggest after looking at photos.

I've got a couple of ideas; however, don't want to contaminate the
idea
pool of ways to approach this project with my ideas before the pros
can
take a look the job.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 3, 2014 7:50:24 PM UTC-6, Lew Hodgett wrote:
It would appear that the legs are molded urethane.

..... why not take as many detailed photos as useful showing .... what a non damaged leg connection looks like,

The fourth leg is cracked at the screw sites, also, but the pieces haven't separated as with the other 3 legs.

Taking pics and sending to System 3 sounds like good advice.

An alternative is to buy comparable wooden legs ($45 each, maybe), if the lady wants the stool that bad.

Thanks.
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Monday, March 3, 2014 7:50:24 PM UTC-6, Lew Hodgett wrote:
It would appear that the legs are molded urethane.

.... why not take as many detailed photos as useful showing .... what a non damaged leg connection looks like,

The fourth leg is cracked at the screw sites, also, but the pieces haven't separated as with the other 3 legs.

Taking pics and sending to System 3 sounds like good advice.

An alternative is to buy comparable wooden legs ($45 each, maybe), if the lady wants the stool that bad.

Thanks.
Sonny

Sonny, I wondered where you've been. Good to see you back!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:17:47 AM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
Sonny, I wondered where you've been. Good to see you back! Bill

I've been reading along, most threads, just haven't replied to any, until now.

Been busy, too. My nephew's been over, helping a lot with the heavy stuff and the all-day work. I don't have the stamina to last all day. He's been pushing me to get some things done and he's helping with all the flooring boards being planed.... and a few other chores.

While installing the entertainment center, I screwed up my wood floor. When I get the floor fixed, I'll post pics of the EC, though it's just the finished carcass. My nephew is impressed with it and I'm happy with it, too. It's the largest and maybe the most complicated project I've ever tried.

It's Leon's fault, showing us those walnut cabinets! With warmer weather near, I've been itching to get started on that walnut trestle table, I want to make from the tree I had milled Nov. 2011.... the lumber is stacked next to the planer, so it's been in my face, lately. It should be sufficiently air dried, by now. And I've paid attention to some of Karl's walnut finish work, for ideas for the table's finish.

A week or 2 ago, I finished & installed a new thread rack, for the upholstery thread spools.

Mardi Gras has been fun and my patch of clover, with lots of 4 leafers, is a hit with the kids, so I've been enjoying the ride.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

It's Leon's fault, showing us those walnut cabinets! With warmer
weather near, I've been itching to get started on that walnut trestle
table, I want to make from the tree I had milled Nov. 2011.... the
lumber is stacked next to the planer, so it's been in my face,
lately. It should be sufficiently air dried, by now. And I've paid
attention to some of Karl's walnut finish work, for ideas for the
table's finish.

Don't bother Sonny. You'll just frustrate yourself working with that
walnut. Let me make your life a lot easier - just ship the stuff to me and
I'll find a use for it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/4/2014 1:55 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you need full time help from the nephew with all those
projects.

Screwing the floor up ... damn, use carpet next time turned over soft
side down to avoid the pain.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Help from the nephew would be remarkable for you because with the help you will be able to complete the project much earlier than in case of doing it alone.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 10, 2014 9:33:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Help from the nephew would be remarkable for you because with the help you will be able to complete the project much earlier than in case of doing it alone.

Help from the nephews is a must for some tasks, but good company always makes a job go better, no matter who's here, even you online visitors.

Got a reply from Systems3, after sending them Flickr pics. I ordered the Gel Magic. I had hope it would arrive today, but no.
**************
From the pictures, it appears that you are working with a high density urethane
foam. Our Gel Magic structural adhesive looks like it will work well for this
application. I recommend trying to build in some extra structural strength with
the use of wood dowel inserts. A great way to do this with the foam is to drill
in oversized holes compared to the dowels, and use the Gel Magic to glue in the
dowels to the legs prior to joining the legs to the rest of the stool. The Gel
Magic will create a nice bond with the foam and give you some added strength
with the addition of the dowel. You can then get everything lined up with the
seat of the stool and do the same hole size and gluing procedure when joining
the legs to the seat.

With Gel Magic, make sure not to over clamp the legs and squeeze out all the
glue, as it needs glue in the joint to work properly. The Gel Magic is a great
gap filler and will work great. Here is a link to the Gel Magic page of our
website: http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/...lMagic-c16.htm.

Hope this helps and give me a call if you have any other questions. Thanks for
considering System Three epoxy systems.

Regards,
Will Smoot

Here's some of the walnut for the trestle table, roughly 20"W X 11.5'L X 1.5" thick. Each board felt like 100+ lbs, to me, when we stacked it green.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream

A few weeks ago, I brought a pecan log to the mill, to have slabs cut, to make bed headboards, a la George Nakashima design, hopefully. There ought to be some nice figured lumber in this sample.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/13064922275/

Sonny