Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Gluing Composite Material

On Sunday, March 2, 2014 8:58:59 PM UTC-6, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Sonny, What did you finally decide to do? Lew

I decided to put that project to the side, for the time being. This project was brought to my attention while doing several upholstery projects for the lady's cousin. I have another upholstery customer to take care of, before focusing on these broken composite stool (legs). I've written down all the suggestions and will decide, later, what to do about those legs. Thanks for everyone's help.

Here's a pic of the texture of the composite material. The brown/yellow color is not correct, but a product of the camera not flashing.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/12905279894/

This is more the correct color of the composite material. The legs are broken where the screws attach the legs to the stool's seat frame.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...n/photostream/

Off hand, I don't have faith in "gluing" the pieces back together. I suspect those glue sites will be weaker than the original material. For reattaching the legs to the seat frame, I've considered drilling a hole through the seat frame and into the main body of the leg shoulders, then better secure the legs with a large bolt, of some kind, in addition to the reattaching the legs at their original screw sites, after "gluing" those pieces back together.

Since I'm retired, I don't rush anything. Since the shop incident (amputated fingers - and nothing has, and likely will, come of that. The maid is no longer in a clinic and she has called, asking to continue her housekeeping job.), I've finished the carcasses and shelves of the bathroom corner cabinets, I have the face frames and doors, yet, to do; I've installed the entertainment center (EC), though I have yet to make the shelves, doors and face frames. The shop is now cleared of that EC carcass bulk. It's nice to have access to that work space, again; When I've had a chance, I've been planing lots of old pine flooring, to install in my sister's home. Last week, I did a home roof inspection and found a 5'X5' damaged porch overhang/corner area, so I spent 2 days repairing that. It's primed & caulked and I need to touchup caulk, then paint the soffit and facia.

Next major projects: Mow & weed eat the lawn and till the veggie garden for spring planting.

Sonny