Posted to rec.woodworking

Default bandsaws - grizzly or jet

Yeah -- I've done the web search / investigation. Wanted to know what the
community opinion was. I'm looking for a bandsaw that's capable of resawing
a min of 10". I only have 120. Current Jet pricing is confusing (besides
pretty expensive).

New 14" JWBS-14sf 13.5" resaw, resaw fence, 1900
16" jwbs-16B 10" resaw 1429
18" jwbs-18qt 12.25" resaw 1785

seems like the 18 should be more than the 16 and why is the 14" so pricy?

For Grizzy I'm looking at a 2hp motor that's 110 capable. They have a
handful of choices also
g0457 10" resaw 995
g0513 12" resaw 895 Why cheaper?
g0513x2 12" resaw 1095
g0513x2b 12" resaw 1295
g0513x2f 12" resaw 1250

I think Jet has almost priced themselves out or the running, unless there's
a really really good reason to go with them.
Recommendations pro or con are welcomed.
Thx
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 01:00:16 GMT, xxxx
wrote:

[...]

In that price range, Laguna has a low-end offering. I haven't seen it
but:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...2-Bandsaw.aspx
Posted to rec.woodworking

xxxx wrote:
[...]

I have a 14" Griz. with riser block kit and am satisfied with it. If
at all possible I recommend running a 220v. line and wiring the motor
accordingly. I started with 120 and it sure made a difference on 220v.

I mainly use it for cutting green wood to make bowl blanks and it
never bogs down.

--
 GW Ross

 Useless Invention: Motorcycle
 seat-belts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/26/2014 7:00 PM, xxxx wrote:
[...]

As krw has pointed out the Laguna is worth every consideration. The
ceramic Laguna guides are a gread advantage.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Yeah -- I've done the web search / investigation. Wanted to know what the
community opinion was. I'm looking for a bandsaw that's capable of resawing
a min of 10". I only have 120. Current Jet pricing is confusing (besides
pretty expensive).

New 14" JWBS-14sf 13.5" resaw, resaw fence, 1900
16" jwbs-16B 10" resaw 1429
18" jwbs-18qt 12.25" resaw 1785

seems like the 18 should be more than the 16 and why is the 14" so pricy?

Normally, you'd expect that. Perhaps the smaller saws have a heavier
cast frame versus a steel welded frame. or better table, base, etc.
Have you been able to actually look at the details? In that price
range, I'd look at some of the other brands too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/26/2014 10:30 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/26/2014 7:00 PM, xxxx wrote:
[...]

Not so fast on the low end Laguna, it di not rate so high for a few
reasons in a comparison with the Rikon. The power of the low end Laguna
was pretty poor back in 2005-6.. I was looking through some old mags the
other day for something for Bill, and saw the article..

I would look for current reviews, they may have upped the motor on it.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
xxxx wrote:

Yeah -- I've done the web search / investigation. Wanted to know what the
community opinion was. I'm looking for a bandsaw that's capable of resawing
a min of 10". I only have 120. Current Jet pricing is confusing (besides
pretty expensive).

New 14" JWBS-14sf 13.5" resaw, resaw fence, 1900
16" jwbs-16B 10" resaw 1429
18" jwbs-18qt 12.25" resaw 1785

seems like the 18 should be more than the 16 and why is the 14" so pricy?

For Grizzy I'm looking at a 2hp motor that's 110 capable. They have a
handful of choices also

You would have to rewire the BS to run it on 110, and then it would
take a 25 amp service and a 10 gauge cord

g0457 10" resaw 995
g0513 12" resaw 895 Why cheaper?

Check the differences between the fence on the 457 and the 513. I have
the 457 and that fence is really good. If you are really needed a resaw
that fence would be a good option

g0513x2 12" resaw 1095
g0513x2b 12" resaw 1295
g0513x2f 12" resaw 1250

I think Jet has almost priced themselves out or the running, unless there's
a really really good reason to go with them.
Recommendations pro or con are welcomed.
Thx

Where I live (the greater Seattle area) we have a choice between going
to the Griz headquarters in Bellingham and Equipment Sales and Surplus
(which is across the road from Jet/PM headquarters and sells the
return/refurbished units)
If you can wait, this results in great deals, if you can't Griz is
always there.
I didn't wait on the BS and for the 457, I did on the wife's lathe
(1221) and saved about 40% (we went on a waiting list and it took about
4 months)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/26/2014 7:00 PM, xxxx wrote:
[...]

Well in all seriousness he wants resawing capacity of at least 10". I
don't think he is going to get good results from anything running on 110
volt.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/26/2014 7:00 PM, xxxx wrote:
[...]

What exactly are you planing to do with this saw given your statement
that you want a minimum resaw capacity of 10"

The fact that you do not currently have 220 volts available might mean
that any saw you buy, that only has a 110 volt power supply, might not
be up to the task of resawing 10" wide boards.

In most cases of these lower hp saws that run on 110 volts considering
the fact that the saw has the height requirements to resaw 10" does not
mean that they will actually be capable of doing so. Look at it like
the speedometer on the typical new car these days. Most go up to 160
mph, and 99% are not capable of coming close to reaching those speeds.

If you are wanting to mostly resaw boards in that 10" neighborhood and
want a new saw you are going to want to look at something with
considerably more than 2 hp.

Keep in mind that to resaw wide boards that HP is not the only important
thing to consider. You also need a saw with a wider blade capacity so
that it can be tensioned properly and not drift. Will any of the saws
that you are considering allow you to use a 1" or wider blade? Will the
saw that uses a wider blade be capable of holding the tension of a wider
blade?

There is a lot more to consider when buying a BS if you plan on using
the saw to its stated resaw capacity and if you want good results.

Now if you are splitting 8"~10" wide logs for firewood that is another
matter completely, you really do not care if the cut is perfectly
straight and flat or not.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 09:50:36 -0600, Leon wrote:

Well in all seriousness he wants resawing capacity of at least 10". I
don't think he is going to get good results from anything running on 110
volt.

Leon, I've got the 14" Rikon with 13" resaw. It runs on 110 and I've
resawn 10"-12" logs on it with no problems. Since it's two speed, I did
put it on the lower speed to "shift down" so to speak but I didn't test
to see if that was really necessary.

--
This msg is for rec.woodworking - not homeowners hub.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 10:06:18 -0600, Leon wrote:

Keep in mind that to resaw wide boards that HP is not the only important
thing to consider. You also need a saw with a wider blade capacity so
that it can be tensioned properly and not drift. Will any of the saws
that you are considering allow you to use a 1" or wider blade?

Leon, I thought the current wisdom was that a 1/2" blade was best for
resaw. Perhaps because of the tensioning you mentioned. I know the
Woodslicer is a 1/2" blade and at least one well known bandsaw book
recommends a 1/2" blade.

--
This msg is for rec.woodworking - not homeowners hub.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2014 12:24 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 10:06:18 -0600, Leon wrote:

Keep in mind that to resaw wide boards that HP is not the only important
thing to consider. You also need a saw with a wider blade capacity so
that it can be tensioned properly and not drift. Will any of the saws
that you are considering allow you to use a 1" or wider blade?

Leon, I thought the current wisdom was that a 1/2" blade was best for
resaw. Perhaps because of the tensioning you mentioned. I know the
Woodslicer is a 1/2" blade and at least one well known bandsaw book
recommends a 1/2" blade.

That really depends on the size of the saw.
An 18 or 21 inch saw can use 1" or 1 1/2 respectively.
--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2014 11:24 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 10:06:18 -0600, Leon wrote:

Keep in mind that to resaw wide boards that HP is not the only important
thing to consider. You also need a saw with a wider blade capacity so
that it can be tensioned properly and not drift. Will any of the saws
that you are considering allow you to use a 1" or wider blade?

Leon, I thought the current wisdom was that a 1/2" blade was best for
resaw. Perhaps because of the tensioning you mentioned. I know the
Woodslicer is a 1/2" blade and at least one well known bandsaw book
recommends a 1/2" blade.

For relatively narrow stick yes.

Personally I use a 1.25" resaw blade when I want flat and deep cuts.
When I don't really care about the yield out of a 3/4" thick board I
leave a 1/2" blade on my saw that also sees a lot of action cutting
rawhide chews for the dog. ;~)

..The 1/2" will resaw but I would not want to be resawing 10" wide boards
with it. 1/2" is certainly better than 3/8" or 1/4". But when resawing
wider and or harder boards the blades will tend to warm up and stretch
more the smaller that they are. The tighter those blades are the less
flexing and wander you get when the distance between the upper and lower
guides increases, and in the OP's requirements, to 10 or more inches.
The wider blades tend to disparate heat better and stretch less. Then
on top of that some band saws are simply not ridged enough to not "give"
themselves, when cranking up the tension for the wider blades.

The big question is what the OP intends to do with his saw since he
mentioned a minimum of 10" resaw capacity.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2014 11:19 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 09:50:36 -0600, Leon wrote:

Well in all seriousness he wants resawing capacity of at least 10". I
don't think he is going to get good results from anything running on 110
volt.

Leon, I've got the 14" Rikon with 13" resaw. It runs on 110 and I've
resawn 10"-12" logs on it with no problems. Since it's two speed, I did
put it on the lower speed to "shift down" so to speak but I didn't test
to see if that was really necessary.

Are those green logs? Are you resawing to get veneers? Do you do a lot
of this type resawing? Hardwoods?

No doubt you are having success with this but do you think you are
getting the same results and speed as with a larger more powerful saw?

Basically the OP is asking for at least 10" resaw capacity and we do not
know what he expects from there and he is looking at a wide range of
saws. If he is going to use his BS as the typical woodworker does I'm
sure most all that he is looking at will suffice. If he wants to mostly
cut veneers that wide he should be looking at a more robust group of saws.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Leon, I just want to applaud the huge amount of knowledge you've
dispensed in this thread. As I read along, I didn't expect to pick up
any new knowledge or insight hat I didn't already possess. But I did.
And even if I hadn't, I am applauding anyway.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2014 2:09 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

You are welcome Bill and what I said is not gospel. I learned by the
school of hard knocks. LOL

Actually I learned a lot from the Laguna web site after not being
pleased with what I thought was going to be a big upgrade on a saw purchase.

In a nut shell BS's these days are not what they used to be. So buy an
older one that was built when they still cared about quality or buy a
heaver duty one.

The biggest issues with band saws is that there are so many adjustments
to take into consideration and when taxing the saw and blade both tend
to "give/stretch". That movement throws your previously made
adjustments out. When the blade stretches or contracts it can wander
more if the guides and frame of the saw are not heavy duty enough to
keep the blade tracking correctly. Laguna has some pretty unique guides
to help combat this issue.

Now for every day run of the mill cutting through stock like which you
might cut on your table saw most band saws will handle that with out too
many issues. Get in to resawing wider boards and you want rock solid.

Grizzly DRO on Grizzly square column mill/drill Carl McIver Metalworking 1 October 18th 07 12:35 AM
Grizzly Bandsaws with 2 DC ports? Toller Woodworking 3 August 10th 07 04:31 PM
18" bandsaws Scott Lurndal Woodworking 2 March 10th 05 06:43 PM
Now it is Grizzly VS. Delta was...Grizzly G0444Z Question--no reply from Grizzly Jeff Woodworking 5 February 2nd 04 11:17 PM
Grizzly G0444Z Question--no reply from Grizzly Jeff Woodworking 12 January 19th 04 03:47 PM