Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default bandsaws - grizzly or jet

On 1/26/2014 7:00 PM, xxxx wrote:
Yeah -- I've done the web search / investigation. Wanted to know what the
community opinion was. I'm looking for a bandsaw that's capable of resawing
a min of 10". I only have 120. Current Jet pricing is confusing (besides
pretty expensive).

New 14" JWBS-14sf 13.5" resaw, resaw fence, 1900
16" jwbs-16B 10" resaw 1429
18" jwbs-18qt 12.25" resaw 1785

seems like the 18 should be more than the 16 and why is the 14" so pricy?

For Grizzy I'm looking at a 2hp motor that's 110 capable. They have a
handful of choices also
g0457 10" resaw 995
g0513 12" resaw 895 Why cheaper?
g0513x2 12" resaw 1095
g0513x2b 12" resaw 1295
g0513x2f 12" resaw 1250

I think Jet has almost priced themselves out or the running, unless there's
a really really good reason to go with them.
Recommendations pro or con are welcomed.
Thx

What exactly are you planing to do with this saw given your statement
that you want a minimum resaw capacity of 10"

The fact that you do not currently have 220 volts available might mean
that any saw you buy, that only has a 110 volt power supply, might not
be up to the task of resawing 10" wide boards.

In most cases of these lower hp saws that run on 110 volts considering
the fact that the saw has the height requirements to resaw 10" does not
mean that they will actually be capable of doing so. Look at it like
the speedometer on the typical new car these days. Most go up to 160
mph, and 99% are not capable of coming close to reaching those speeds.

If you are wanting to mostly resaw boards in that 10" neighborhood and
want a new saw you are going to want to look at something with
considerably more than 2 hp.

Keep in mind that to resaw wide boards that HP is not the only important
thing to consider. You also need a saw with a wider blade capacity so
that it can be tensioned properly and not drift. Will any of the saws
that you are considering allow you to use a 1" or wider blade? Will the
saw that uses a wider blade be capable of holding the tension of a wider
blade?

There is a lot more to consider when buying a BS if you plan on using
the saw to its stated resaw capacity and if you want good results.

Now if you are splitting 8"~10" wide logs for firewood that is another
matter completely, you really do not care if the cut is perfectly
straight and flat or not.