Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default bandsaws - grizzly or jet

On 1/27/2014 2:09 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 1/27/2014 11:19 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 09:50:36 -0600, Leon wrote:

Well in all seriousness he wants resawing capacity of at least 10". I
don't think he is going to get good results from anything running on
110
volt.

Leon, I've got the 14" Rikon with 13" resaw. It runs on 110 and I've
resawn 10"-12" logs on it with no problems. Since it's two speed, I did
put it on the lower speed to "shift down" so to speak but I didn't test
to see if that was really necessary.

Are those green logs? Are you resawing to get veneers? Do you do a
lot of this type resawing? Hardwoods?

No doubt you are having success with this but do you think you are
getting the same results and speed as with a larger more powerful saw?

Basically the OP is asking for at least 10" resaw capacity and we do
not know what he expects from there and he is looking at a wide range
of saws. If he is going to use his BS as the typical woodworker does
I'm sure most all that he is looking at will suffice. If he wants to
mostly cut veneers that wide he should be looking at a more robust
group of saws.

Leon, I just want to applaud the huge amount of knowledge you've
dispensed in this thread. As I read along, I didn't expect to pick up
any new knowledge or insight hat I didn't already possess. But I did.
And even if I hadn't, I am applauding anyway.

Bill

You are welcome Bill and what I said is not gospel. I learned by the
school of hard knocks. LOL

Actually I learned a lot from the Laguna web site after not being
pleased with what I thought was going to be a big upgrade on a saw purchase.

In a nut shell BS's these days are not what they used to be. So buy an
older one that was built when they still cared about quality or buy a
heaver duty one.

The biggest issues with band saws is that there are so many adjustments
to take into consideration and when taxing the saw and blade both tend
to "give/stretch". That movement throws your previously made
adjustments out. When the blade stretches or contracts it can wander
more if the guides and frame of the saw are not heavy duty enough to
keep the blade tracking correctly. Laguna has some pretty unique guides
to help combat this issue.

Now for every day run of the mill cutting through stock like which you
might cut on your table saw most band saws will handle that with out too
many issues. Get in to resawing wider boards and you want rock solid.