Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sometimes we're just a genius...

....and sometimes we're not.

I was noodling around on the net tonight looking for ideas or replacement
edge protectors for my chisels, because more than one of mine have
disappeared. I found all kinds of ideas that had varying degrees of
interest for me and then I stumbled onto this piece of absolute genius.
This one fellow suggested cutting strips of above ground swimming pool liner
to the needed width for the chisel in question. Absolute brilliance, I
realized. Clearly genius! Then I saw who posted this - years and years
ago.... me...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2014 8:42 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
...and sometimes we're not.

I was noodling around on the net tonight looking for ideas or replacement
edge protectors for my chisels, because more than one of mine have
disappeared. I found all kinds of ideas that had varying degrees of
interest for me and then I stumbled onto this piece of absolute genius.
This one fellow suggested cutting strips of above ground swimming pool liner
to the needed width for the chisel in question. Absolute brilliance, I
realized. Clearly genius! Then I saw who posted this - years and years
ago.... me...

`And sometimes we're not.
I have had a rough day.

I just cut the wrong side of something.
I f'd up a drawer front too today.
I couldn't figure out sketchup to do a dust bin for the saw.
Then I had a brain fart while calculating the angles, and sizes...

Glad that you're a genius... I was a half wit today.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

No Jeff - I WAS a genius - all those years ago. I came up with that great
idea and then somehow forgot all about it. Today - not so much genius.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 20:42:17 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Clearly genius! Then I saw who posted this - years and years
ago.... me...

One of the few advantages of senility. ~ Many things seems new again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2014 8:42 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
...and sometimes we're not.

I was noodling around on the net tonight looking for ideas or replacement
edge protectors for my chisels, because more than one of mine have
disappeared. I found all kinds of ideas that had varying degrees of
interest for me and then I stumbled onto this piece of absolute genius.
This one fellow suggested cutting strips of above ground swimming pool liner
to the needed width for the chisel in question. Absolute brilliance, I
realized. Clearly genius! Then I saw who posted this - years and years
ago.... me...

My neighbor does not think it is such a brilliant idea. My chisels are
well protected, but his pool leaks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/25/2014 8:42 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
...and sometimes we're not.

I was noodling around on the net tonight looking for ideas or replacement
edge protectors for my chisels, because more than one of mine have
disappeared. I found all kinds of ideas that had varying degrees of
interest for me and then I stumbled onto this piece of absolute genius.
This one fellow suggested cutting strips of above ground swimming pool liner
to the needed width for the chisel in question. Absolute brilliance, I
realized. Clearly genius! Then I saw who posted this - years and years
ago.... me...

My neighbor does not think it is such a brilliant idea. My chisels are
well protected, but his pool leaks.

One might come to the conclusion that if the swimming pool liner strips
worked out well that you would still be using those and not looking for
that solution. :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2014 7:44 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Figure out Sketchup!!!!!! LOL

I make very few misscuts these days knowing that the drawings are
reliable.
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

You are no less genius today that you were then! You just don't
remember why you quit using the pool parts as your chisel protectors.

I think most of the protective tips get lost because they come off
inside a drawer. I have seen a tip to glue a rare earth magnet to the
protector so that it does not come off with out some effort.
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

I don't like magnetizing chisels or planes. When you sharpen you are
causing a mess. Would rather not have that problem.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/25/2014 8:42 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
...and sometimes we're not.

I was noodling around on the net tonight looking for ideas or
replacement edge protectors for my chisels, because more than one of
mine have disappeared. I found all kinds of ideas that had varying
degrees of interest for me and then I stumbled onto this piece of
absolute genius. This one fellow suggested cutting strips of above
ground swimming pool liner to the needed width for the chisel in
question. Absolute brilliance, I realized. Clearly genius! Then I
saw who posted this - years and years ago.... me...

My neighbor does not think it is such a brilliant idea. My chisels are
well protected, but his pool leaks.

Ooops - meant to say the plastic clips that hold the liner to the wall.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/25/2014 8:42 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
...and sometimes we're not.

I was noodling around on the net tonight looking for ideas or
replacement edge protectors for my chisels, because more than one
of mine have disappeared. I found all kinds of ideas that had
varying degrees of interest for me and then I stumbled onto this
piece of absolute genius. This one fellow suggested cutting strips
of above ground swimming pool liner to the needed width for the
chisel in question. Absolute brilliance, I realized. Clearly
genius! Then I saw who posted this - years and years ago.... me...

My neighbor does not think it is such a brilliant idea. My chisels
are well protected, but his pool leaks.

One might come to the conclusion that if the swimming pool liner
strips worked out well that you would still be using those and not
looking for that solution. :-)

Or... one might read what I wrote and understand that the brilliance of that
idea was simply lost on me over time. They do work. Just don't understand
for the life of me, why I didn't remember that.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

....and sometimes we're not.

I was noodling around on the net tonight looking for ideas or replacement
edge protectors for my chisels, because more than one of mine have
disappeared. I found all kinds of ideas that had varying degrees of
interest for me and then I stumbled onto this piece of absolute genius.
This one fellow suggested cutting strips of above ground swimming pool liner
to the needed width for the chisel in question. Absolute brilliance, I
realized. Clearly genius! Then I saw who posted this - years and years
ago.... me...

--

-Mike-

Mike Even a genius looses memory as they age. Join the crowd of us old
farts. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/26/2014 2:15 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

But did not those pool style protectors get lost too? Hence you forgot
about them?
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Well, placing the magnet on and removing the magnet should cancel out
the magnetism. That is usually how that all works.

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Well, actually, these did work pretty well. I just really and truly forgot
about them. Don't try to overthink this Leon. I quit using them because
somewhere along the way I came upon a couple of the sizes I needed that were
factory protectors and they looked better. Once I got back to the point
where I had again lost one or two, I was back to looking for a decent
solution.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Nope. Came across some factory protectors and used those. Until I lost
some more...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:lc3q4e$tud$1
@dont-email.me:

Ooops - meant to say the plastic clips that hold the liner to the wall.

Ah! I was wondering how thin vinyl would offer any protection against a
sharp cutting edge.

My sister made some using the webbing that they use on duffle bags and
other straps. They're holding up great, and have a bit of material on the
top to tie the guard to the chisel.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Ok, I understand now. I was not aware that you had temporarily found a
better choice. Now it all fits in to place nicely!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I replied in another post, I see your whole point now. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not that easy. It takes AC coil around or on a core that moves to clean
the magnetized item.

The softer the steel (iron) the faster it becomes magnetized.

One favorite trick I have is to put my Cross or Phillips / slot screw
driver into the hex holder with a strong magnet - used with electric
drills.

That works rapidly and lasts a long time.

Martin

On 1/26/2014 5:30 PM, Leon wrote:

Well, placing the magnet on and removing the magnet should cancel out
the magnetism. That is usually how that all works.

Posted to rec.woodworking

That sounds good - and so does a thick inter tube for a bicycle or car/....

Longwise along the blade a long fold that folds over - making for a
sheath. Tie wrap or tie cord. A little sloppy is ok. Cover the
whole blade as this keeps it in place easier. As blade to blade
becomes several thicknesses between each other.

Sliding cuts can occur. But most of the time it bounces back.

Martin

On 1/26/2014 8:39 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:lc3q4e$tud$1
@dont-email.me:

Ooops - meant to say the plastic clips that hold the liner to the wall.

Ah! I was wondering how thin vinyl would offer any protection against a
sharp cutting edge.

My sister made some using the webbing that they use on duffle bags and
other straps. They're holding up great, and have a bit of material on the
top to tie the guard to the chisel.

Puckdropper

More genius innovation Red Green Home Repair 14 September 4th 13 08:12 AM
Are You a Mechanical Genius? lovenanny Home Repair 0 October 25th 08 12:30 PM
Are You a Mechanical Genius? lovenanny Home Repair 0 October 25th 08 12:20 PM
Genius! The Medway Handyman UK diy 16 August 16th 07 11:11 AM
Ingenious and Un-Genius DJC UK diy 1 July 31st 06 10:38 PM