Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Entertainment Nook is Complete. Whew!

I started phase II of the entertainment nook 4 weeks ago and with the
help of Swingman we slid the completed console into position this morning.

The console had to be IR and sound transparent so that I could hide all
of the electronics. It also had to hide the wiring, provide space for
the front sides and center speaker, storage for CD's DVD and BlueRay
disks and electronics and fill the 8' wide space. It does all of the above.

The back is completely open for ventilation and ease of accessing the
wiring and the top is totally removable and indexed for easy
replacement. The removeable top makes running all of the wiring a
breeze without having to pull the console out.

Oh and Swingman, I think I'm probably going to do a little tweaking of
the cables. ;~)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 17:31:54 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
The console had to be IR and sound transparent so that I could hide all
of the electronics. It also had to hide the wiring, provide space for
the front sides and center speaker, storage for CD's DVD and BlueRay
disks and electronics and fill the 8' wide space. It does all of the above.

Really nice. One question though, are you concerned at all by all the
electronics going into the cabinet causing heat? I was and put in a
12v transformer and several quiet fans to dissipate it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I started phase II of the entertainment nook 4 weeks ago and with the
help of Swingman we slid the completed console into position this
morning.

Very nice Leon! Excellent!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

I started phase II of the entertainment nook 4 weeks ago and with the
help of Swingman we slid the completed console into position this
morning.

Another hash mark in the well done bucket.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

You've outdone your self!

-Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/25/2013 6:31 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Nice job as always.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Looks fantastic. Great job.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote ...
I started phase II of the entertainment nook 4 weeks ago and with the help
of Swingman we slid the completed console into position this morning.

Looks good Leon. Elegant and classy. It will be real easy to watch the
game on that baby.

Just wondering though, where did you hide the bar in this thing? ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/25/2013 7:28 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:
On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 17:31:54 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[...]

Thank you Mike, it was a mixed bag of emotions, I was not really ready
to build it as it was to come befor the new TV. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/25/2013 7:42 PM, Sonny wrote:
Looks fantastic. Great job.

Sonny

thank you Sonny.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/25/2013 9:40 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" wrote ...
I started phase II of the entertainment nook 4 weeks ago and with the
help
of Swingman we slid the completed console into position this morning.

Looks good Leon. Elegant and classy. It will be real easy to watch the
game on that baby.

Just wondering though, where did you hide the bar in this thing? ;-)

Where were you during the planing stage? LOL Thanks Lee.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Oh and Swingman, I think I'm probably going to do a little tweaking of the cables. ;~)

Good thing, I had fewer cables in a 32 track recording studio.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

I started phase II of the entertainment nook 4 weeks ago
and with the help of Swingman we slid the completed console into
position this morning.

It looks great, Leon. Tres chic. And I'm sure it is as good functionally
as it is esthetically.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Leon" wrote:

I started phase II of the entertainment nook 4 weeks ago and with the
help of Swingman we slid the completed console into position this
morning.

Another hash mark in the well done bucket.

Lew

Muchie Garcia Lew! :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
I started phase II of the entertainment nook 4 weeks ago
and with the help of Swingman we slid the completed console into
position this morning.

Meant to ask, how's the SawStop doing? Any new revelations about it?
Has the feeling of being a little safer worn off yet?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, October 25, 2013 5:31:54 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

Looks terrific! What kind of wood did you use?

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/26/2013 1:45 AM, Swingman wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Oh and Swingman, I think I'm probably going to do a little tweaking of the cables. ;~)

Good thing, I had fewer cables in a 32 track recording studio.

I pulled the top and untangled the cables this morning, piece of cake so
to speak. Still lots of cable but no longer a rats nest. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/26/2013 8:21 AM, wrote:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
I started phase II of the entertainment nook 4 weeks ago
and with the help of Swingman we slid the completed console into
position this morning.

Meant to ask, how's the SawStop doing? Any new revelations about it?
Has the feeling of being a little safer worn off yet?

SawStop is doing great. I still question the use of a glossy black
right extension table as far as appearances go however it is slick with
little friction. I guess that would be a trade off for those concerned
about appearances vs. function, I'm not.

I always enjoyed my old Jet cabinet saw but start up with this thing,
compared to the Jet, is drastically improved. It does not start up
quite as quickly as the Jet but boy is it smooooooth. The Jet tended to
explode to instant full speed. The SawStop takes about a quarter second
to come up to speed. I suspect that it has something to do with two
belts and 3 pulleys. It also seems to coast down to a stop much more
quickly. Any way the smoothness of the saw gives you a much better
feeling of security and a sense of higher quality.

I have not changed any of my habits, I still respect the spinning blade,
there still are things that can happen that can harm you but the
smoothness of the spinning blade keeps the small loose cut offs from
dancing around near the blade.

Changing the blade brake when changing from a standard sized blade to
the 8" dado set now takes me less time, installing the brake is a touchy
feeley kind of action as it is difficult to see where the round pegs are
suppose to align with the brake, this routine takes 3~4 seconds now.

I still have a difficult time remembering to swing the dust chute door
closed after changing blades.. it is an internal door so either the
right side exterior door has to be opened or the insert removed to verify.

The SawStop brand hydraulic mobile base rolls so freely that if you
don't lower the saw after moving it, it will likely roll out into the
drive way if you are not careful, and that base is supporting close to
700 lbs.

I have yet to use the guard but the splitter is great.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/26/2013 9:02 AM, Michael wrote:
[...]

I used lots of scraps. LOL

The top and ends/sides are 3/4" walnut plywood. The top is trimmed with
solid walnut and the doors are solid walnut. All black painted parts
are oak, basically the front and back face frames, end trim pieces, and
top perimeter border. The top perimeter border keeps things from
rolling off the sides or back and hides the cables hanging down behind
the walnut wall panels. I used a black milk paint with a gel varnish as
a top coat. The single floating shelf, its supports, and the bottom of
the cabinet are 3/4" paint grade maple plywood. The grill frames are
1/2" Baltic birch plywood as are the 6 internal drawers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/26/2013 10:37 AM, Casper wrote:
[...]

Thank you Casper, my wife is happy. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/25/13 5:31 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Gorgeous, as usual. Great scale and proportion as well.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/26/2013 11:36 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 10/25/13 5:31 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Thank you Mike, the void is filled! ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 10:52:18 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
I pulled the top and untangled the cables this morning, piece of cake so
to speak. Still lots of cable but no longer a rats nest. LOL

I assume you've investigate various means of taming that rat's nest,
but in case you haven't seen it, Lee Valley has this type of wiring
control.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,43597,50658
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/26/2013 6:52 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 10:52:18 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
I pulled the top and untangled the cables this morning, piece of cake so
to speak. Still lots of cable but no longer a rats nest. LOL

I assume you've investigate various means of taming that rat's nest,
but in case you haven't seen it, Lee Valley has this type of wiring
control.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,43597,50658

Actually I really don't care what the wiring looks like, it is not
visible unless I remove the top of the cabinet or open the doors. As
long as I can easily add, subtract, or reroute any of the cables I have
accomplished what I set out to do.

There was initially a rats nest because I basically did not unplug any
cables when placing the electronics in the new cabinet and all of the
electronics are now located in a different order.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

The SawStop brand hydraulic mobile base rolls so freely that if you don't
lower the saw after moving it, it will likely roll out into the drive way
if you are not careful, and that base is supporting close to 700 lbs.

I have this image in my head of Leon running down the street after a run
away SawStop saw. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/26/2013 7:40 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

The SawStop brand hydraulic mobile base rolls so freely that if you
don't lower the saw after moving it, it will likely roll out into the
drive way if you are not careful, and that base is supporting close to
700 lbs.

I have this image in my head of Leon running down the street after a run
away SawStop saw. LOL

Me too! LOL. Actually I have envisioned it rolling off the ledge at
the garage door on to the driveway. That is about a 1.25" drop and
would be tough to lift back to garage level.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 20:29:38 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/26/2013 7:40 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

The SawStop brand hydraulic mobile base rolls so freely that if you
don't lower the saw after moving it, it will likely roll out into the
drive way if you are not careful, and that base is supporting close to
700 lbs.

I have this image in my head of Leon running down the street after a run
away SawStop saw. LOL

Me too! LOL. Actually I have envisioned it rolling off the ledge at
the garage door on to the driveway. That is about a 1.25" drop and
would be tough to lift back to garage level.

You'd be surprised how easy it would be to get back up something that
small. I thought I'd have all sorts of problems getting my Unisaur
off the shipping pallet. No problems at all. I had no problems
moving it from my other house into this one, alone. A couple of 2x10
ramps, a couple of sheets of plywood, and a UHaul trailer did the job
with no problems. The 2x10s are about the same height as your garage
lip and that was the easy part. Levers and inclined planes are
wonderful things. Don't leave Cheops without them. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Me too! LOL. Actually I have envisioned it rolling off the ledge at
the garage door on to the driveway. That is about a 1.25" drop and
would be tough to lift back to garage level.

You need a SawStop Stop.

Later versions will detect contact with the SawStop and fire a brake to
keep you safe.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 10/26/2013 1:45 AM, Swingman wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Oh and Swingman, I think I'm probably going to do a little tweaking of the cables. ;~)

Good thing, I had fewer cables in a 32 track recording studio.

I pulled the top and untangled the cables this morning, piece of cake so
to speak. Still lots of cable but no longer a rats nest. LOL

Strange thing about cables and audio equipment is that often making the
cables all nice and neat will introduce RFI and magnetic interference
noises and hum that disappears when the cable is laid in a haphazard, rat's
nest.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/26/2013 10:42 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Me too! LOL. Actually I have envisioned it rolling off the ledge at
the garage door on to the driveway. That is about a 1.25" drop and
would be tough to lift back to garage level.

You need a SawStop Stop.

Later versions will detect contact with the SawStop and fire a brake to
keep you safe.

But you will then have to replace the entire mobile base. :-)

--
Froz...

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
Strange thing about cables and audio equipment is that often making
the
cables all nice and neat will introduce RFI and magnetic
interference
noises and hum that disappears when the cable is laid in a
haphazard, rat's
nest.

Makes perfect sense.

When cables are parallel to one another the RFI, etc will "couple"
with one another if the parallel length is long enough.

If the cables are at angles to one another, the "couple" length will
be minimum.

IOW, cluttered cable runs represent good engineering practice.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Swingman and I tackled that lip 3 years ago with all of my equipment. I
did not say that it would be impossible, it would be q hell of a lot
more trouble to get it back up there than if I simply did not let it
happen in the first place.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/26/13 9:55 PM, Swingman wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 10/26/2013 1:45 AM, Swingman wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Oh and Swingman, I think I'm probably going to do a little tweaking of the cables. ;~)

Good thing, I had fewer cables in a 32 track recording studio.

I pulled the top and untangled the cables this morning, piece of cake so
to speak. Still lots of cable but no longer a rats nest. LOL

Strange thing about cables and audio equipment is that often making the
cables all nice and neat will introduce RFI and magnetic interference
noises and hum that disappears when the cable is laid in a haphazard, rat's
nest.

Now you're reminding me of my old job. I did hundreds of installations
and there are some you can bundle an some you can't. That's one reason
pro cable costs so much and is so thick, due to the 100+% shielding an
balancing.

Some of the mic cable I used to use, I could lay parallel to AC cords
with zero 60 cycle hum, as long as all the grounding was correct. But
that's some expensive stuff and knowledgeable installation. Most home
instals are better with the rats nest. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Yep, thousands and thousands in equipment with balanced inputs and outputs,
balanced TRS patch cords, and high dollar shielded cables; and the only
thing that will stop a guitar player's amp from humming in Bb on a tune in
A is a .49 cent ground lift adapter.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Whew! KD7HB Metalworking 0 March 5th 11 07:09 PM
Book Nook Thom Woodworking Plans and Photos 8 October 16th 07 12:27 PM
Fire safety for a dryer nook [email protected] Home Repair 21 April 22nd 07 03:34 AM
corner nook plans Russ Woodworking 3 August 15th 05 10:23 PM
Value of bedroom/dining nook to home?? FrankBooth Home Repair 8 July 16th 05 09:37 PM