FrankBooth

Default Value of bedroom/dining nook to home??

Hello,

Looking for some good advice on the following please.

I'm considering remodeling my TV room, which is approx. 12.5 x 17, into
an L shaped bedroom 6.5x17 with the lower part of the L being the 12.5.
The remaining space is approx 9x5.5 and it faces into the kitchen,
which currently has no eating area. So this will become the dining
'nook' if you will.

I will be doing the work myself.

The question is, all things being equal, how much value can this
potentially add to my home?

I've tried to find information but everything is given in recoup
percentages. I don't want that because I'll be here for a long while.

In my mind I think that making a 1br into a 2 br with a dining area
should count for at least 20k, but I may be delusional.

By the way, it's a condo in renovated victorian (not cookie cutter) in
a nice area.

Any thoughts, comments, advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
--FB

Colbyt

"FrankBooth" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Your unit is going to be worth about the same as all the other units in the
area of a similar square footage. If you have the only 2 bedroom in the
area it isn't going to be worth any more $.

If the 6.5 wasn't a typo, I think you may want to rethink this. That is an
awfully small dimension for any room.

Colbyt

Tony Hwang

Colbyt wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Neither room will be big enough. 6.5, 5.5 are very poor dimension.
Even a camping trailer width is more than that.
Tony
Don Young

You should ask a local real estate agent before doing this but my sense is
that you will likely reduce the value. Just adding partitions to make large
rooms into small ones doesn't seem to add any real value. A 6.5x17" L shaped
bedroom seems less than desirable. Some prospective owners would prefer the
large TV room.
Don Young

[...]

Joseph Meehan

FrankBooth wrote:
[...]

I suggest starting by checking local code requirements. You may not be
allowed to do what you want. Next, I suggest you may actually reduce the
value not increase it. Not every change will increase value. In the end,
in a situation like you have the average value of the other units will be
the largest factor in the value of yours.

Note: if those new rooms don't meet code or don't meet code for say a
bed room, you will not be able to sell them as such, you will still be
selling a one bed room unit.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Doug Miller

In article .com, "FrankBooth" wrote:
Hello,

Looking for some good advice on the following please.

I'm considering remodeling my TV room, which is approx. 12.5 x 17, into
an L shaped bedroom 6.5x17 with the lower part of the L being the 12.5.
The remaining space is approx 9x5.5 and it faces into the kitchen,
which currently has no eating area. So this will become the dining
'nook' if you will.

I will be doing the work myself.

The question is, all things being equal, how much value can this
potentially add to my home?

None of us can see your house, or your neighborhood, from here. You haven't
even told us where you live. A local realtor will have a decent idea of how
the value of the home will be affected. Nobody here will.

And we have no idea whether you are a professional trim carpenter who also
happens to be a wizard at hanging and finishing drywall, or if you're some
jackleg dumba$$ who can't read a tape measure and has no idea what a level is
for. If you're in the *latter* category, you might wind up *reducing* the
value of the home.

--
Regards,

CR

"FrankBooth" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Looking for some good advice on the following please.

I'm considering remodeling my TV room, which is approx. 12.5 x 17, into
an L shaped bedroom 6.5x17 with the lower part of the L being the 12.5.
The remaining space is approx 9x5.5 and it faces into the kitchen,
which currently has no eating area. So this will become the dining
'nook' if you will.

Bedrooms, by code, have to have an egress window large enough for a fireman
to enter in full gear including oxygen backpack.
Put in a sleeper sofa and save yourself the trouble. A 6.5 foot wide bedroom
is a waste of time.

CR

G Henslee

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com, "FrankBooth" wrote:

The question is, all things being equal, how much value can this
potentially add to my home?

None of us can see your house, or your neighborhood, from here. You haven't
even told us where you live. A local realtor will have a decent idea of how
the value of the home will be affected. Nobody here will.

And we have no idea whether you are a professional trim carpenter who also
happens to be a wizard at hanging and finishing drywall, or if you're some
jackleg dumba$$ who can't read a tape measure and has no idea what a level is
for. If you're in the *latter* category, you might wind up *reducing* the
value of the home.

Good points. For once, we agree.
Walter R.

Expensive houses always have large rooms. That's really what you pay for.
You cannot have large rooms in a cheap house. Making rooms smaller by
increasing the number of rooms, always reduces the value of a home. Cheap
houses have small rooms and/or a poor floor plan.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net