E5I5O

Default Homes in General, one question and a few ideas

Ok so I asked one question earlier, and I have seen a lot of interesting
threads in this group! But I have to ask where can I find a list of supply
places online that list some things home related? Though I have to state I
am losing my current home I am not really that broken up by it! I am going
to turn my life around after a failed marriage in a house my wife want, and
"had to have", I am going to do things right this next time around! With
that said....here is my plans, first I am getting as far from the no jobs,
high prices and taxes of New York state as I can, then moving to a warmer
climate, perhaps North Carolina, South Carolina, may even one of the
Virginia's, or perhaps out more westerly. I know in my next house I want low
voltage or even fiber optic lighting or both, I want a very warm and highly
efficient heating system, that can maintain 80 degree room temperature
without the cold floors I experience in a mobile home my ex wife had to have
and stuck me with! Further I want a logical floor layout, nothing that is
too confining such as my grandmother's 60 year old home, and land big enough
for a large three bay garage, without a lot of slopes, and a huge creek
running through it! I also never again want to live in a valley on a main
road ever again! My home now includes these same problems, on summer days I
can hear the traffic flying by at speeds over 50 miles per hour, the road
run off is in my front yard, along with trash by passer's by. At 4:33 PM my
home is in the shadow of a hill making my home cooler at least an hour or
two later then sunset, and my driveway is so terribly blocked with ice and
snow run off from the road I can't drive into it most of the time with
getting stuck! In short I need a lot of changes in my home, this time
around! I want the home to be modern with charms of an older home, I want it
to be warm without paying the budget of NASA to light or heat! I want to be
able to landscape the thing to look nice, and yet have privacy for
entertaining my guests! In all perhaps I will be the neighbor of someone
here in this newsgroup, but either way I will be looking for some changes in
home thinking and remodeling! But I need infomation and I thank this group
for any help they may provide.

Sincerely, E5

AJScott

In article ,
"E5I5O" wrote:

[...]

Oh give me buy me take me let me have. Whine whine whine. People in
Africa are eating flies in mud huts and you want homeowner nirvana.
Ungrateful slacker.

Uh, Iım just messing with you, so donıt get all freaked out, OK?

You can spend an ice age puttering around at 2am with online catalogs,
and thereıs really nothing wrong with that -- although Iım not quite
sure what kind of supplies you have in mind. There are jillions of
materials that go into home building, so maybe if you could be a lot
more specific, youıd get a lot more assistance. Try using Web search
engines (Google, Yahoo, Ask Jeeves, Hotbot, etc.) and pop in different
keywords related to what you think you might want to look for
supply-wise. But IMO, itıs a lot more interesting and enjoyable to get
different ideas by simply paying more attention to the homes you drive
past every day, or by just taking a day trip into other neighborhoods,
parking the car, and walking up and down some of the streets. You see a
lot more -- and a lot more closely -- on foot rather than driving along
and maybe ass-ending someone in the middle of the street because you
were gawking at houses instead of paying attention to the road. Youıd be
amazed at the amount of stuff you tune out simply because you drive past
the exact same thing day after day after day. If you see something about
some of these homes that floats your boat, ring the doorbells and ask
the homeowners about it. People just loooooove talking about their
homes. Of course, theyıll look at you all weird at first being a
stranger and all, but if you donıt seem like an ax murderer or a
panhandling derelict, youıll find they get kinda cordial after a few
minutes.

IMO, itıs also more fun with the possibility of more ideas if you
actually go to home improvement or construction supply stores and wander
aimlessly down the aisles or ask the service counter person to look thru
their catalog(s) of stuff, and then asking whatever questions move you
at the moment. Iıve always thought that everything has at least one use
for which it wasnıt intended when it was invented, and you may end up
coming up with a bright idea or two that few others came up with so far.
Heck, think of how many people have kicked themselves over the past few
decades for not being the one guy who came up with the idea of stupid
little paper umbrellas for bartenders to stick in foo-foo cocktail
drinks.

AJS
E5I5O

LOL I thought it was funnny!! I am a slacker as my parents call me!!
Actually a lot of what I know is their fault to begin with (hehehe) and I do
love my parents dearly! But they altered my high school years and education.
I had wanted to get into welding, and auto body they changed my activities
to include Drafting, Electronics, small engine repair, and vocational Auto
mechanics. So now I am still shaky at best around welding equipment, but I
am learning slowly. Actually I have a really good sense of humor, my ex wife
left me for the guy next door, fifty feet next door, did I get upset? Not
even! I was happy to be rid of her! She took my paychecks ****ed money away
like she was living with the lifestyles of the rich and shameless, and left
me for a guy who had even more money coming in then what I have, how can
that be wrong? F**king leech anyhow!! My family paid for the property I am
currently getting ready to sell, and my grandmother has spent years helping
with house payments my wife wasn't making, cuz of her endless shopping fix!
My grandmother placed a new septic on the property 14 years ago, a well 8
years ago and my folks purchased the shed kit I refered to in a different
post. But for that I am very grateful! Now after 17 years of listening to
that "woman" (and I use that term more loosely then she has been with my
"friends") it is now my time to shine as it were! Hell at 40 I am still
young I have my health, and a great outlook on a lot of things, plus I
usually don't take myself too serious! But getting to the post I had before,
"Hey don't I know you from someplace?", actually I have been also curious
about energy effiecent lighting products!!

Basically this is kind of the other worldly problem I have been facing
lately. These damn utilities think I have money or something. My girlfriend
and I are moving that is a given, and things as they are I have talked with
a few of the folks I worked with that live south of the NY border in PA. My
girlfriend has family down there to boot and they have given me a little
insight (as her brother in law is a PA "State" Electric worker). In PA like
in towns throughout the south, the power companies (or at least what I have
been told) are all different companies. In other words here in New York we
have NYSEG (New York State Electric & Gas) providing electric and until
recently that was our only choice! NYSEG was and in some respects a monopoly
if there ever was one! This past year NYSEG decided that they need to
increase profits with a 13% increase to all customers, typical of most big
business yes, but with a Electric budget of $142 a month as it is, 13% more
on top of that really got me wondering how to light my home without the use
of a car engine as a generator! In thinking of this the $160 a month would
be one weeks paycheck I really can't do without and even the $142 a month
was stretching it a lot! I look at my usage which makes very little sense to
begin with being I am on a planned budget from NYSEG, and it seems to jump
around a lot. In the summer months my electric usage double, which I could
justify IF I had a central air conditioner that my house is wired for, BUT I
don't own. Also over the past two winters, this year 2003- 2004, and last
year 2002- 2003 my electric usage dropped to almost nothing! My girlfriend
and I are very strict about leaving lights on in the house and seldom have
more then two rooms lit at once! Of course we do have a bunch of "hogs" in
the house as far as eletric use goes, the standard suspects, aka Dishwasher,
dryer, water heater, extra freezer, and fans and computers. I know that
other things are drawing huge amounts of juice to like the 16 year old
microwave and what not but it doens't explain a recent jump in my electric
to the tune of $400 a month While watching home improvment shows on HGTV,
TLC and Discovery, I see more and more people using things like low level
lighting (halogen) or fiber optics for lighting needs. I real terms the wash
machine was replace two years ago, the dryer was replaced 7 years ago, the
hot water heater was replaced 3 years ago, and the Dishwasher was replace 2
years ago as well. I have a 200 amp service, in a home I had purchased just
8 years ago!

Let me point out for the record for those tuning in, this home is a double
wide mobile home my ex wife "HAD" to have, to replace a single wide home we
had purchased originally. She wanted a house that we could quickly move into
and ignored all my pleas for a garage and a normal stick built house! I
guess the thing was that her parents (like yeah) lived right next door
(which is a 1960's single wide trailer), and it goes to show that you can
take the "woman" outta the trailer, but you can't take the trailer outta the
"woman" (trying to be as polite as possible for those who don't follow
replace "woman" with "trash" and NO I don't think that of all mobile home
owners). Don't get me wrong I was the one who finally agree on the floor
plan (though regretting that I couldn't afford the modular home I liked
better), with a lot of open but not wasted space and most people that visit
can't believe this is a trailer! Other structural items include 1/2" sheet
rock throughout, shut off valves for all sinks, tiolets and such (other then
the one I added for the water heater which was odd as it didn't have one),
standard door openings (so normal house 36" doors can replace doors in the
home if need be) and so on. But this is all off topic! Getting back to my
subject, I have been very aware of energy usage both in heating and
eletrical (being I use LP gas for heat and electric for the normal other
stuff), I am trying to find lighting products that are very bright but use
nothing in electric or close to the usage of those fancy floresent bulbs
used to replace normal incandecents (should I say "Ya'll" here? LOL). In
short I would also like to find other energy saving products and start
reading further on making a home that has little power usage as possible! As
I have been pointing out I am moving here soon and this time it gives me a
fresh slate as it were to look at things my ex wife seemingly ignored! I
have a little time and I am only doing my home work now!! Thank you for any
help!!

Sincerely, E5

"AJScott" wrote in message
In article ,
"E5I5O" wrote:

[...]

....75 lines of creative writing deleted.

have a little time and I am only doing my home work now!! Thank you for any
help!!

Err... was there a question buried in there somewhere?

AJScott

In article ,
" wrote:

LOL I thought it was funnny!! I am a slacker as my parents call me!!
Actually a lot of what I know is their fault to begin with (hehehe) and I do

...75 lines of creative writing deleted.

have a little time and I am only doing my home work now!! Thank you for any
help!!

Err... was there a question buried in there somewhere?

There was, in the original post. And to think that I somethimes worry
whether *I* get way too wordy around here. Yowza.

AJS

E5I5O

The question: Where to find low level lighting on the net or Fiber Optic?

Thanks, E5