Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default The Entertainment Nook is Complete. Whew!

On 10/26/2013 8:21 AM, wrote:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
I started phase II of the entertainment nook 4 weeks ago
and with the help of Swingman we slid the completed console into
position this morning.

Meant to ask, how's the SawStop doing? Any new revelations about it?
Has the feeling of being a little safer worn off yet?

SawStop is doing great. I still question the use of a glossy black
right extension table as far as appearances go however it is slick with
little friction. I guess that would be a trade off for those concerned
about appearances vs. function, I'm not.

I always enjoyed my old Jet cabinet saw but start up with this thing,
compared to the Jet, is drastically improved. It does not start up
quite as quickly as the Jet but boy is it smooooooth. The Jet tended to
explode to instant full speed. The SawStop takes about a quarter second
to come up to speed. I suspect that it has something to do with two
belts and 3 pulleys. It also seems to coast down to a stop much more
quickly. Any way the smoothness of the saw gives you a much better
feeling of security and a sense of higher quality.

I have not changed any of my habits, I still respect the spinning blade,
there still are things that can happen that can harm you but the
smoothness of the spinning blade keeps the small loose cut offs from
dancing around near the blade.

Changing the blade brake when changing from a standard sized blade to
the 8" dado set now takes me less time, installing the brake is a touchy
feeley kind of action as it is difficult to see where the round pegs are
suppose to align with the brake, this routine takes 3~4 seconds now.

I still have a difficult time remembering to swing the dust chute door
closed after changing blades.. it is an internal door so either the
right side exterior door has to be opened or the insert removed to verify.

The SawStop brand hydraulic mobile base rolls so freely that if you
don't lower the saw after moving it, it will likely roll out into the
drive way if you are not careful, and that base is supporting close to
700 lbs.

I have yet to use the guard but the splitter is great.