Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Panel Closet Doors

I built a closet upstairs in my bungalow home. It's on one side with a
four foot knee wall and the rest of the wall angles towards center, as
most bungalows do. Therefore, I built the closets with a door height of
5 feet, long enough for three sections with intentions of installing
bi-fold doors. One section is a 5 foot wide opening(two 2.5 ft
bi-folds), the next is four foot(two 2 foot bi-folds) and the last is
three(two 1.5 foot bi-folds). Ideally, I would like the doors to be
raised panel, but these are not standard size and thus, must be made. I
would like to attempt that, unfortunately, I don't own a raised panel
router bit set and not ready to fork over the type of money required for
a set.

Is there another method to making raised panel doors? Is it as good as
doing with a router bit set? Any other options anyone can offer other
than pay someone to make them? BTW, the option to pay someone is a
consideration but I don't know what a reasonable cost would be, other
than the cost of the wood, but uncertain of labor cost. Help on that is
also appreciated.

Thank you
Posted to rec.woodworking

Meanie wrote:
[...]

DAGS on rasing panels on a table saw. It's a fairly common practice and if
your table saw is well set up, it can produce a very good product.
Alternatively, you may be able to contract them to a local
woodworker/cabinet maker. Price would depend on where you live, but you
might be very surprised at how affordable this approach can be. You may be
able to escape for only a few hundred bucks - which is not a bad way to go.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Meanie" wrote in message

[...]

If you can't afford $25-$35 for a raised panel bit you sure wouldn't want to
hire it done.
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...ter_bits1.html

For that matter, you don't need a special bit to raise a panel...you can do
so with a straight or mortising bit, the wider the better. Of course, that
gives you a right angle which - IMO - is not unattractive; moreover, that
right angle can be modified with a core, cove, "V" or round over bit. If
you want a slope on the horizontal portion, rout out less and use a hand
plane or make a simple jig for a router so that the work van be tilted
slightly. You can also raise a panel on a saw.

But perhaps you were thinking of cope and stick bits for the frame? They
are a bit pricier but not all that much. And if simple is OK, it is easy to
do them on a saw or (router table with simple straight bits) making T&G. If
you don't like the square look, the edges can be shaped with a router bit,
stopping before the corners...that used to be very common. It also used to
be fairly common to continue the profile into the corners by hand.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

Is there another method to making raised panel doors?

Table saw. This simple explanation http://woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip011116ws.html is doing it on a drawer front so it has some dovetails cut in already but explains the process nicely regardless.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/2/2013 9:19 PM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

Sure just cut them on the tablesaw. Simple and effective.
Just do a google search on cutting raised panels on ts... many youtube I
am sure.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2013 8:06 AM, dadiOH wrote:

[...]

Obviously I haven't viewed other sites. The sets I saw were minimum of
$150 for three bit set consisting of the raised bit, stile and rail
bits, as you mentioned. I was also viewing Freuds, Whiteside and other
more popular sets since I am under the impression those are the best
brands and if I spend money, I like things to last.

I'll have to view more or consider the link you provided as I'm now
intrigued.

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

Meanie wrote:

Obviously I haven't viewed other sites. The sets I saw were minimum
of $150 for three bit set consisting of the raised bit, stile and rail
bits, as you mentioned. I was also viewing Freuds, Whiteside and other
more popular sets since I am under the impression those are the best
brands and if I spend money, I like things to last.

A very good philosophy when purchasing things. But... one to be tempered by
the thought of how much will one really use a tool? If it is a one or two
or three time use, then that lifelong quality is kind of a waste. Almost
anything you buy will last long than one or two or three times of use -
including the Harbor Freight stuff. If you were using it everyday like a
cabinet maker would do, then obviously, that would not be your choice. If
you plan on building a countable number of raised panels in your lifetime,
then they are probably not a bad investment.

I'll have to view more or consider the link you provided as I'm now
intrigued.

Getting intrigues when it comes to buying tools is a very dangerous thing...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 18:37:05 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Meanie wrote:

[...]

I agree in general purpose with what your saying about usage vs cost
but if your talking large diameter router bits you want to consider
the shrapnel effect if the cheap one comes apart.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike M" wrote:

I agree in general purpose with what your saying about usage vs cost
but if your talking large diameter router bits you want to consider
the shrapnel effect if the cheap one comes apart.

Gain an appreciation for flat panel doors and the whole discussion
becomes moot.

Lew

Closet Doors [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 30th 08 08:26 AM
bi-fold closet doors James Lewis Home Repair 1 April 1st 06 04:29 PM
closet doors? AND Books Home Repair 3 February 7th 06 01:04 PM
Electrical panel in closet Fred Home Repair 2 September 1st 05 12:12 PM
Tambour closet doors Jessica Woodworking 5 April 30th 04 02:57 AM