Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Panel Closet Doors

Meanie wrote:

Obviously I haven't viewed other sites. The sets I saw were
minimum
of $150 for three bit set consisting of the raised bit, stile and
rail
bits, as you mentioned. I was also viewing Freuds, Whiteside and
other
more popular sets since I am under the impression those are the
best
brands and if I spend money, I like things to last.

Mike Marlow" wrote:

A very good philosophy when purchasing things. But... one to be
tempered by
the thought of how much will one really use a tool? If it is a one
or two
or three time use, then that lifelong quality is kind of a waste.
Almost
anything you buy will last long than one or two or three times of
use -
including the Harbor Freight stuff. If you were using it everyday
like a
cabinet maker would do, then obviously, that would not be your
choice. If
you plan on building a countable number of raised panels in your
lifetime,
then they are probably not a bad investment.

Meanie wrote:

I'll have to view more or consider the link you provided as I'm
now
intrigued.

Mike Marlow" wrote:

Getting intrigues when it comes to buying tools is a very dangerous
thing...

"Mike M" wrote:

I agree in general purpose with what your saying about usage vs cost
but if your talking large diameter router bits you want to consider
the shrapnel effect if the cheap one comes apart.

Gain an appreciation for flat panel doors and the whole discussion
becomes moot.

Lew