Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Panel Closet Doors

Meanie wrote:
I built a closet upstairs in my bungalow home. It's on one side with a
four foot knee wall and the rest of the wall angles towards center, as
most bungalows do. Therefore, I built the closets with a door height
of 5 feet, long enough for three sections with intentions of
installing bi-fold doors. One section is a 5 foot wide opening(two
2.5 ft bi-folds), the next is four foot(two 2 foot bi-folds) and the
last is three(two 1.5 foot bi-folds). Ideally, I would like the doors
to be raised panel, but these are not standard size and thus, must be
made. I would like to attempt that, unfortunately, I don't own a
raised panel router bit set and not ready to fork over the type of
money required for a set.

Is there another method to making raised panel doors? Is it as good as
doing with a router bit set? Any other options anyone can offer other
than pay someone to make them? BTW, the option to pay someone is a
consideration but I don't know what a reasonable cost would be, other
than the cost of the wood, but uncertain of labor cost. Help on that
is also appreciated.

DAGS on rasing panels on a table saw. It's a fairly common practice and if
your table saw is well set up, it can produce a very good product.
Alternatively, you may be able to contract them to a local
woodworker/cabinet maker. Price would depend on where you live, but you
might be very surprised at how affordable this approach can be. You may be
able to escape for only a few hundred bucks - which is not a bad way to go.

--

-Mike-