Posted to alt.home.repair
AND Books

Default closet doors?

hi,

my sister-in-law is ex-scaping chitown to the rurals of indiana and
building a small (750 sqft) new environ-good house. she must have
closet space and has been around with contractors & architects...

i don't understand why closet doors aren't part of the new build, but
now she's scoping around to find either 3 or 4 section doors. they're
8'6" high and she's so far only found hi-priced customs like at
raydoor.com... the sliding part is replacable with opening type i think,
but before i launch into a menard, lowe's, HD, search and find,
i'd like to hear anyones experience with such closet doors (ebay's
no-go) we have them olde folding louvre doors at our house, they're
ugly, but comfortable in a 1920s built 2-story box...

thanks for any advice...

JS

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

"AND Books" wrote in message
hi,

my sister-in-law is ex-scaping chitown to the rurals of indiana and
building a small (750 sqft) new environ-good house. she must have
closet space and has been around with contractors & architects...

i don't understand why closet doors aren't part of the new build, but
now she's scoping around to find either 3 or 4 section doors. they're
8'6" high and she's so far only found hi-priced customs like at
raydoor.com... the sliding part is replacable with opening type i think,
but before i launch into a menard, lowe's, HD, search and find,
i'd like to hear anyones experience with such closet doors (ebay's
no-go) we have them olde folding louvre doors at our house, they're
ugly, but comfortable in a 1920s built 2-story box...

thanks for any advice...

JS

Do you mean 86 inches high instead of 8'6" high. The latter would put the
opening 6" up into the ceiling, I would think. I had trouble finding a
closet door because the previous owner had put in a closet and didn't pay
attention to the opening height. I found sliding mirror doors to be the
only alternative at Menards. There was only (as I remember) about a $50
surcharge to have such a door custom ordered to size over the regular price
of a standard size. I bought the doors at Menard's.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
L d'Bonnie

AND Books wrote:
hi,

my sister-in-law is ex-scaping chitown to the rurals of indiana and
building a small (750 sqft) new environ-good house. she must have
closet space and has been around with contractors & architects...

i don't understand why closet doors aren't part of the new build, but
now she's scoping around to find either 3 or 4 section doors. they're
8'6" high and she's so far only found hi-priced customs like at
raydoor.com... the sliding part is replacable with opening type i think,
but before i launch into a menard, lowe's, HD, search and find,
i'd like to hear anyones experience with such closet doors (ebay's
no-go) we have them olde folding louvre doors at our house, they're
ugly, but comfortable in a 1920s built 2-story box...

thanks for any advice...

JS

Are you sure the doors are 8'6", seems to me that 6'8" is normal.
A standard frame house wall is just a tad over 8'. If she has decided to
to build a house with 9 or 10 ft. interior walls then she's toast.
Tell her to get a bigger checkbook.

I'm installing doors in my new place. Closet openings were roughed
in for a 4' wide set of doors. Instead of using folding doors I went
with two opposing 24" six panel doors, same style as the rest of
the doors in the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

AND Books wrote:
hi,

my sister-in-law is ex-scaping chitown to the rurals of indiana and
building a small (750 sqft) new environ-good house. she must have
closet space and has been around with contractors & architects...

i don't understand why closet doors aren't part of the new build, but
now she's scoping around to find either 3 or 4 section doors. they're
8'6" high and she's so far only found hi-priced customs like at
raydoor.com... the sliding part is replacable with opening type i
think, but before i launch into a menard, lowe's, HD, search and find,
i'd like to hear anyones experience with such closet doors (ebay's
no-go) we have them olde folding louvre doors at our house, they're
ugly, but comfortable in a 1920s built 2-story box...

1. Closets like that give great access to the upper shelves but really
don't increase hanging space.

2. The doors shouldn't be all that hard to find...condo builders often
use bifold doors like that because it is cheaper to do so than
framing/drywalling/finishing the space that is normally over the door.

3. 8'6" is a pretty standard size...13 blocks = 8'8" ceilings less
drywall leaving just enough space for a ceiling attached header/trim
piece for the doors.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...