Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Panel Closet Doors

"Meanie" wrote in message

I built a closet upstairs in my bungalow home. It's on
one side with a four foot knee wall and the rest of the
wall angles towards center, as most bungalows do.
Therefore, I built the closets with a door height of 5
feet, long enough for three sections with intentions of
installing bi-fold doors. One section is a 5 foot wide
opening(two 2.5 ft bi-folds), the next is four foot(two 2
foot bi-folds) and the last is three(two 1.5 foot
bi-folds). Ideally, I would like the doors to be raised
panel, but these are not standard size and thus, must be
made. I would like to attempt that, unfortunately, I
don't own a raised panel router bit set and not ready to
fork over the type of money required for a set.
Is there another method to making raised panel doors? Is
it as good as doing with a router bit set? Any other
options anyone can offer other than pay someone to make
them? BTW, the option to pay someone is a consideration
but I don't know what a reasonable cost would be, other
than the cost of the wood, but uncertain of labor cost.
Help on that is also appreciated.
Thank you

If you can't afford $25-$35 for a raised panel bit you sure wouldn't want to
hire it done.
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...ter_bits1.html

For that matter, you don't need a special bit to raise a panel...you can do
so with a straight or mortising bit, the wider the better. Of course, that
gives you a right angle which - IMO - is not unattractive; moreover, that
right angle can be modified with a core, cove, "V" or round over bit. If
you want a slope on the horizontal portion, rout out less and use a hand
plane or make a simple jig for a router so that the work van be tilted
slightly. You can also raise a panel on a saw.

But perhaps you were thinking of cope and stick bits for the frame? They
are a bit pricier but not all that much. And if simple is OK, it is easy to
do them on a saw or (router table with simple straight bits) making T&G. If
you don't like the square look, the edges can be shaped with a router bit,
stopping before the corners...that used to be very common. It also used to
be fairly common to continue the profile into the corners by hand.

--

dadiOH