Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Closet Doors

I have a closet door that is 81 inches high and 49 inches across
(these measurements are without the jam that is 3/4" thick). With the
jam, the total length across is only 47.5 inches and the standard door
in Home Depot is 24" across (or 48" with 2 doors). Does anyone have
an easy solution?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 2:50 pm, LouB wrote:
wrote:
I have a closet door that is 81 inches high and 49 inches across
(these measurements are without the jam that is 3/4" thick). With the
jam, the total length across is only 47.5 inches and the standard door
in Home Depot is 24" across (or 48" with 2 doors). Does anyone have
an easy solution?

What are you trying to do?

Sorry. Forgot to include the most important part. I want to hang a
door in that space. The original owner had bought a sliding door but
because they put a hot water heater in the closet, they didn't have
enough room to install the sliding doors as the heater sticks out a
bit. So they tacked wood outside the frame and hung the door on
that. i would like to rehang doors that are flush with the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob kater wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 29, 2:50 pm, LouB wrote:
wrote:
I have a closet door that is 81 inches high and 49 inches across
(these measurements are without the jam that is 3/4" thick). With the
jam, the total length across is only 47.5 inches and the standard door
in Home Depot is 24" across (or 48" with 2 doors). Does anyone have
an easy solution?
What are you trying to do?

Sorry. Forgot to include the most important part. I want to hang a
door in that space. The original owner had bought a sliding door but
because they put a hot water heater in the closet, they didn't have
enough room to install the sliding doors as the heater sticks out a
bit. So they tacked wood outside the frame and hung the door on
that. i would like to rehang doors that are flush with the wall.

Had the same issue and used double doors and trimmed them to fit

Meaning Bi-fold doors?
Posted to alt.home.repair
stu stu is offline

wrote in message
I have a closet door that is 81 inches high and 49 inches across
(these measurements are without the jam that is 3/4" thick). With the
jam, the total length across is only 47.5 inches and the standard door
in Home Depot is 24" across (or 48" with 2 doors). Does anyone have
an easy solution?

If I understand what you are trying to do and the doors are going to be
painted. Why not get a couple of 1.5" x 3/8" x 82" strips and glue them to
the side of each door. I think this would be easier than shifting the frame
and the mess will be outside.

bi-fold closet doors James Lewis Home Repair 1 April 1st 06 04:29 PM
closet doors? AND Books Home Repair 3 February 7th 06 01:04 PM
Mirrored closet doors George Will Home Repair 3 April 19th 05 03:00 AM
Tambour closet doors Jessica Woodworking 5 April 30th 04 02:57 AM