Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Help with router setup

I got my new rail and stile bits out this weekend and put them on my ryobi router table and started playing with them. The bits seem to sit too high, I cant get the right profile on my 3/4 inch thick wood. On the stiles the ogee pattern is past the middle of the tickness of the wood. And becasue of this there is no groove put on the wood.

My router is a ryobi r 181FB1. It has been in storage for awhile. I had cleaned everythign up but I cant seem to make any adjustment for the bit to go down. There is a locking ring I loosened, the adjustment ring just moves a little before it stops. But this movement does not seem to be doing anything to the hight of the bit.

Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?

I appreciate it!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I got my new rail and stile bits out this weekend and put them on my ryobi
router table and started playing with them. The bits seem to sit too high, I
cant get the right profile on my 3/4 inch thick wood. On the stiles the ogee
pattern is past the middle of the tickness of the wood. And becasue of this
there is no groove put on the wood.

My router is a ryobi r 181FB1. It has been in storage for awhile. I had
cleaned everythign up but I cant seem to make any adjustment for the bit to
go down. There is a locking ring I loosened, the adjustment ring just moves
a little before it stops. But this movement does not seem to be doing
anything to the hight of the bit.

Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?

I appreciate it!
There is a locking lever that you have to loosen first. Go here for the
manual.
http://powertool.manualsonline.com/m...l?idRes=597983

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 22, 2013 7:55:02 AM UTC-5, CW wrote:

[...]

I did loosen that locking ring.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

[...]

If you loosened the locking lever and you can't (appreciably) turn the depth
adjusting ring then either (1) you are not doing one or both correctly or,
(2) your router is toast.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
On 4/22/2013 5:16 AM, wrote:
I got my new rail and stile bits out this weekend and put them on my
ryobi router table and started playing with them. The bits seem to
sit too high, I cant get the right profile on my 3/4 inch thick
wood. On the stiles the ogee pattern is past the middle of the
tickness of the wood. And becasue of this there is no groove put on
the wood. My router is a ryobi r 181FB1. It has been in storage for
awhile. I
had cleaned everythign up but I cant seem to make any adjustment for
the bit to go down. There is a locking ring I loosened, the
adjustment ring just moves a little before it stops. But this
movement does not seem to be doing anything to the hight of the bit.

Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?

I appreciate it!

I assume you did not get any written instructions with your bits ?

These folks offer instructions on "how to do it" on their sets:

These should be close enough to get the general idea of bit setup.

http://www.freudtools.com/p-225-thre...etbr-nbsp.aspx

There sets all come with a video and written instruction.

He's not trying to set up the bits, he is trying to figure out how to adjust
cutting depth on his router.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 22, 2013 4:14:09 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
Pat Barber wrote:

On 4/22/2013 5:16 AM, wrote:

[...]

I ffoled with it last night. It went down some but then locked up again. I am not sure my router may be shot.

I am going to take it off the table and mess with it and if I cant get it to work I guess get a new router and or table at Lowes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/22/2013 2:14 PM, dadiOH wrote:

He's not trying to set up the bits, he is trying to figure out how to adjust
cutting depth on his router.

Yep...I missed that ...sorry

A new router might be in order.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 22, 2013 7:16:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I got my new rail and stile bits out this weekend and put them on my ryobi router table and started playing with them. The bits seem to sit too high, I cant get the right profile on my 3/4 inch thick wood. On the stiles the ogee pattern is past the middle of the tickness of the wood. And becasue of this there is no groove put on the wood.

My router is a ryobi r 181FB1. It has been in storage for awhile. I had cleaned everythign up but I cant seem to make any adjustment for the bit to go down. There is a locking ring I loosened, the adjustment ring just moves a little before it stops. But this movement does not seem to be doing anything to the hight of the bit.

Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?

I appreciate it!

No, it will not go up or down even with the baseplate removed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2013 11:31 AM, wrote:
r 181FB1

Perhaps the manual would be of some help:

http://powertool.manualsonline.com/m...l?idRes=597983
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2013 3:07 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, April 25, 2013 2:59:01 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Did it ever? Have you ever used it?

--

dadiOH

____________________________

Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Yes. I have had it for about 8 years. Alot of that it has been in storage under my router table however.

You may need to simply strip it down, clean it, and add a bit of wax
here and there. Corrosion could be the culprit here.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message ...

On 4/25/2013 11:31 AM, wrote:
r 181FB1

Perhaps the manual would be of some help:

http://powertool.manualsonline.com/m...l?idRes=597983
================================================== ===============================
I posted that a while back. He gave no indication that he looked at it or
fallowed the right procedure. I'm starting to get a whiff of troll.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote:

I posted that a while back. He gave no indication that he looked at
it or fallowed the right procedure. I'm starting to get a whiff of
troll.

The whiff I get is somebody who expects somebody else to do his work.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:

I've never had a router that adjusts the depth with a ring as does
yours but I'd think you should be able to remove the motor portion
from the base (not the base *plate*, the whole base). As Leon
suggested, do that, brush off and accumulated sawdust/wood chips,
clean up any corrosion, wipe it down well with a solvent like paint
thinner and give it a coat of wax or some squirts of silicone
lubricant.

You said the dirty "S" word in a wood working environment. I'd chose
something besides silicone.

--

-Mike-

Has anyone here made a "Pin Router" setup? woodstuff[_2_] Woodworking 35 August 31st 10 02:43 PM
Car Battery wiring & setup. Mobile/Setup/Coolbox john UK diy 3 August 7th 05 07:13 PM
Router Table setup.. Sam Berlyn Woodworking 7 November 29th 04 05:57 AM
router table setup Lewis Woodworking 6 November 25th 04 05:02 PM
If you had $400 and needed a router/lift setup.... Subw00er Woodworking 10 January 5th 04 02:40 AM