Sam Berlyn

Default Router Table setup..

Hi,

I am about to build a router table, but I am unsure of how you change the
bit whilst it's in the table. It sounds like from all I've read, that you
have to take the whole router off the table etc. this seems mad as some
people spend weeks fine-tuning their router, then you want to change the bit
and out it all comes..

Surely I have missed something. If I haven't, I need to re-consider the
whole table thing!

Cheers,

Sam

Swingman

"Sam Berlyn" wrote in message

Surely I have missed something. If I haven't, I need to re-consider the
whole table thing!

For table use, the router is usually mounted on an "insert" which fits
snugly into a "lipped" opening in the router table.

Because the weight of the router is usually all that holds it and the insert
in the opening, it is a simple matter to lift the router and insert out of
the opening for bit and height-of-bit changing.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Swingman

"Sam Berlyn" wrote in message

I am about to build a router table, but I am unsure of how you change the
bit whilst it's in the table. It sounds like from all I've read, that you
have to take the whole router off the table etc. this seems mad as some
people spend weeks fine-tuning their router, then you want to change the

bit
and out it all comes..

Surely I have missed something. If I haven't, I need to re-consider the
whole table thing!

Here's a picture showing the concept, which should be worth more than the
words in my previous post:

http://e-woodshop.net/files/insert.jpg

Good luck on your router table project.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

toller

"Sam Berlyn" wrote in message
Hi,

I am about to build a router table, but I am unsure of how you change the
bit whilst it's in the table. It sounds like from all I've read, that you
have to take the whole router off the table etc. this seems mad as some
people spend weeks fine-tuning their router, then you want to change the
bit
and out it all comes..

I am not sure what you mean by fine-tuning the router, but that is besides
the point.
Anyhow, I have no trouble changing bits on my Bosch 1617 in the table. It
helps that the insert is clear so there is light on it, as otherwise it is
boxed in for dust collection.
Occasionally something is really jammed and I have to pull it, and the
insert out, but that is not a big deal either.

Mike Marlow

"Sam Berlyn" wrote in message
Hi,

I am about to build a router table, but I am unsure of how you change the
bit whilst it's in the table. It sounds like from all I've read, that you
have to take the whole router off the table etc. this seems mad as some
people spend weeks fine-tuning their router, then you want to change the

bit
and out it all comes..

Not weeks Sam, minutes. Most tables give you enough clearance to reach a
wrench underneath and get the collet loose and tight, so it's not really a
big deal. Some folks use more elbaborate rigs that hold their router and
enable them to make adjustments from above. If you have the money for them,
they can be a time saver but if you don't it's really not all that bad
reaching under the table to loosen up the collet and adjust the bit.

--

-Mike-

Swingman

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

but if you don't it's really not all that bad
reaching under the table to loosen up the collet and adjust the bit.

Just because it is a 13 year old boy getting the advice, it might be better
to rephrase that a bit.

It is rare that your would " loosen up the collet" to adjust the bit ...
that could be dangerous.

Once a bit is properly seated in the collet, you use other methods,
depending upon the router, to "adjust the bit".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Mike Marlow

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

but if you don't it's really not all that bad
reaching under the table to loosen up the collet and adjust the bit.

Just because it is a 13 year old boy getting the advice, it might be

better
to rephrase that a bit.

It is rare that your would " loosen up the collet" to adjust the bit ...
that could be dangerous.

It's the only way to either change out a bit to adjust it if you don't mount
the bit properly in the first place. Nothing dangerous about replacing a
bit - assuming the obvious stuff that's included in the router owner's
manual. You can't remove a bit without loosening the collet.

Once a bit is properly seated in the collet, you use other methods,
depending upon the router, to "adjust the bit".

Well, he was asking about replacing the bit and that's what I was intending
to address. Don't really know how the word "adjust" crept in there.

--

-Mike-