Lewis

Default router table setup

Hi,
I'm getting ready -- finally -- to mount my router in the end of my table
saw extension. I'm planning to use an auxillary router fence mounted to the
TS fence, and stand facing down the length of the extension. Two questions:
First, how far back from the front end of the table (in my case, the end of
the TS extension table) should the router be? The extension table is close
to 60", so space behind the bit is no problem. What is a good way to decide
how much table should be in front of the bit? 18" seems to be a comfortable
reach, but that seems to be a little further back than most tables I've
seen. Pat Warner's, for example, appears to be 13-14 inches
(http://patwarner.com/router_table.html). Is that a function of the overall
size of the table? If so, that's not a factor in my setup. Or is there some
reason to keep the bit closer to the front?
Second, I have a piece of 3/8" aluminum approximately 9X12" for the mounting
base. I'm thinking of cutting it down to 9X9, so it's a little lighter
weight, and so I can put a smaller hole in the extension table. What are the
advantages and disadvantages to a big plate vs. a small plate? A 9X9 plate
should be big enough to mount any router, right? I'm planning on using my
DW618, leaving the fixed base more-or-less permanently attached, and I'll
use the D-handle base Santa is bringing for hand-held routering. Even if I
get a bigger router in the future, I would think 9X9 would be plenty big --
unless there's a reason I'm missing for a bigger base?
Thanks, and Happy (US) Thanksgiving!
Lewis

Edwin Pawlowski

"Lewis" wrote in message

I'm getting ready -- finally -- to mount my router in the end of my table
saw extension. I'm planning to use an auxillary router fence mounted to
the
TS fence, and stand facing down the length of the extension. Two
questions:
First, how far back from the front end of the table (in my case, the end
of
the TS extension table) should the router be?

What will you be routing? If you will be routng a dado in a 48" panel, yo
want it far bakc. If you are doing edges of smaller pieces, you don't want
to be leaning all the time. In my case, I have a table and the bit is about
1/3 back. This is nice and close for 99% of the work, but working from the
other side th e bit is back further and it is easier for large panels.

What is a good way to decide
how much table should be in front of the bit? 18" seems to be a
comfortable
reach, but that seems to be a little further back than most tables I've
seen. Pat Warner's, for example, appears to be 13-14 inches

If 18" is very comfortable, you must be tall and have long arms. I'd go
closer to 12". But I'm not you so do what feels good. With 60", I'd
consier a second space and fil it iwth a blank when you don't use it in that
location.

Or is there some
reason to keep the bit closer to the front?

Bending and reaching is tough on the lower back.

Second, I have a piece of 3/8" aluminum approximately 9X12" for the
mounting
base. I'm thinking of cutting it down to 9X9, so it's a little lighter
weight, and so I can put a smaller hole in the extension table.

I'd look at commercially available router lifts that you may be dreaming
about. Then I'd make the cutout that size of slightly smaller. Easy to
enlarge compared to filling in. Cutting 3" off the plate is not going to
save a lot of weight.

What are the
advantages and disadvantages to a big plate vs. a small plate?

Beats me.

A 9X9 plate
should be big enough to mount any router, right? I'm planning on using my
DW618, leaving the fixed base more-or-less permanently attached, and I'll
use the D-handle base Santa is bringing for hand-held routering. Even if I
get a bigger router in the future, I would think 9X9 would be plenty
big --

Once you take the router n and out a few times you'll be hankering for a
second router. I don't recall the last time I used my hand held. Once I
got the table set up, I used the hand held maybe twice. YMMV.

Happy (US) Thanksgiving!
Lewis

To you also.
Ed

Unisaw A100

Lewis wrote:
Hi,

Good morning Lewis,

I'm getting ready -- finally -- to mount my router in the end of my table
saw extension. I'm planning to use an auxillary router fence mounted to the
TS fence, and stand facing down the length of the extension. Two questions:
First, how far back from the front end of the table (in my case, the end of
the TS extension table) should the router be?

That's kind of an answer dependent upon what you are doing
as Edwin has already mentioned. In my case I have a 24"
deep table and the center of the router bit is 16" back (1/3
2/3) from the front edge. I like as much real estate in
front of the fence as possible for large(r) pieces and this
isn't so far back that I feel I'm hanging over the table
when I'm using it. Also, because of design I needed the 8"
to be out the back so I could mount the router and have
space for a fence (mine is a stand alone (stationary) router
table).

The extension table is close to 60", so space behind the bit is no problem.
What is a good way to decide how much table should be in front of the bit?

Personal comfort and how much out the back you might need to
mount a fence though in your case the latter isn't a factor.

18" seems to be a comfortable reach, but that seems to be a little further
back than most tables I've seen.

A lot of tables I've seen have the router very close to the
front because the user has an Incra style fence which pretty
much dictates the bulk of the table to the back side.

Pat Warner's, for example, appears to be 13-14 inches
(http://patwarner.com/router_table.html). Is that a function of the overall
size of the table? If so, that's not a factor in my setup. Or is there some
reason to keep the bit closer to the front?

Believe it or not, and this could just be me, I have found
that despite the small tables on machines like band saws and
drill presses (and router tables) we seem to get by.
Despite this finding I still prefer more table for my router
but I have gotten by with less.

Second, I have a piece of 3/8" aluminum approximately 9X12" for the mounting
base. I'm thinking of cutting it down to 9X9, so it's a little lighter
weight,

Weight, in this case, isn't a factor unless you are wanting
to use the base outside the table (not a bad idea some
times/you will when you need a wider base for free hand
routing) and even then the 3" X 9" of "extra" aluminum isn't
going to kill you.

and so I can put a smaller hole in the extension table. What are the
advantages and disadvantages to a big plate vs. a small plate? A 9X9 plate
should be big enough to mount any router, right?

Maybe, maybe not. Wider inserts will allow you to clear the
handles on the router base. For instance, the 3 horse
Porter-Cable router measures 11 3/16" (ish) from handle to
handle. By mounting it slightly off kilter the handles will
clear the insert hole with an 11" insert.

I'm planning on using my DW618, leaving the fixed base more-or-less
permanently attached, and I'll use the D-handle base Santa is bringing
for hand-held routering. Even if I get a bigger router in the future, I would
think 9X9 would be plenty big -- unless there's a reason I'm missing for
a bigger base?

See above. I'd leave it 9" X 11" but that's just me.

Thanks, and Happy (US) Thanksgiving!

You are welcome and ditto to you and urine.

UA100
Lewis

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the input. I think I'll bring it out a little
closer than 18" so I don't have to reach so far. I'll leave the plate as
large as I can just in case there's a lift in my future!

"Lewis" wrote in message
[...]

Gary DeWitt

I have a 24 X 32 stand alone shop built table, which also doubles as
an extension for the TS. Contemplating moving to your situation, built
into the TS for space considerations. Currently, router table has dust
collection from the bottom, as well as from behind the fence (can be
used as either/or/both).
You might want to keep dust collection in mind, and noise too, if that
is a factor where you live. I plan to build an easily opened or
removed box around my TS mounted router with dust collection provision
on the bottom. I've found the behind the fence one works great for
edge profiling, but with slots and dadoes, the chips just pack the
groove unless there is vacuum under the router bit. This also makes
the router work harder and the bit dull sooner.
Also, I have the original Jessem router lift, been very happy with it,
can dial depth of cut in thousanths no problem. You might consider a
lift, or a model of router that has been designed with router table
use in mind, and a wrench that adjusts through a hole in your table.
Happy Turkey Day!

Leon

"Lewis" wrote in message
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the input. I think I'll bring it out a little
closer than 18" so I don't have to reach so far. I'll leave the plate as
large as I can just in case there's a lift in my future!

If you do continuous runs, leaning over will become tiring. I have the
Bench Dog set up and the center of the bit is 8.5" from the front edge of
the table.

Lewis

Thanks, Gary. I hadn't thought of dust collection from the bottom. I've got
it planned out for the fence, and I'll incorporate your "box" idea as well.
A lift and a dedicated router would be great, but neither is likely in the
near future.
Lewis

om...