Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default An idiot and his table saw...

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
This guy purposely caused kickback on his table saw to prove a point.

Make sure you watch what happens at 4:20 into the video.

He agrees with anyone who calls him an idiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sRrC2Jpp4

Excellent vid, valuable lesson.
He's not an idiot, he just didn't have the control over the situation as
he expected. **** happens, even with good intentions.

He proly would not have lost a digit or part thereof (as in a RAS), but he
certainly came close to requiring a lot of stitches, and poss. nerve
damage -- which can be almost as bad as losing a digit.

How does a riving knife work? Never saw one before this.

Apropos of this, the SawStop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiYoB...endscreen&NR=1

He claims sumpn like 3600 accidents a year, all severed digits? I doubt it.
Table saws, iiuc, don't nec'ly sever digits -- RAS's do. So I'm sure plenty
of people get deep cuts on table saws, but not nec'ly severings.
He may have also been lumping RAS accidents with table saw accidents --
assholes aren't nec'ly careful with stats.

But, this demo was ess'ly bogus. If the saw stop didn't work, he would have
gotten a bit of a nick (MAYBE), before his nervous system kicked in -- ESP
the way his finger was glued to the table..... sheeit, I'da done that
WITHOUT a saw stop.... gimme a fukn break with that bull****.....

Now, let him put his system on a RAS, and test DAT with his finger, cutting
in climb.... yeah, I'll hold effing breath....

Finally, the fuknCOST of this system.... holy ****.... God help the home
woodworker if this thing ever becomes mandatory. Which could happen, given
that they now make crawling helmets for toddlers:
http://www.amazon.com/Thudguard-Baby.../dp/B001OWCOTS
Even insufferable Manhattan Yupsters have a tough time swallowing this one.
Trader4 and Terrel would proly buy a crawling helmet, tho....
--
EA

--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I'd love to see the system! I wonder if it could be adapted to shapers,
routers and other cutting machines. It would help a lot with OSHA
problems where guards make production next to impossible.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 3, 10:46*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
[...]

Per the video you just supplied, the cost of the wrecked
blade and the SawStop module is $60. And it looks like
a device that could be sold for around that amount. So, I would
not buy a crawling helmet. But your cheap shots at
SawStop and me appear unwarranted. Or are you so
cheap and dumb that you think $60 for such a safety device
isn't worth it?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 4, 12:14*am, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

[...]

problems where guards make production next to impossible.- Hide quoted text -

No reason it can't be adapted to those things. It's basicly
a touch sensor that reacts to increased capacitance
from a person coming in contact with it. That triggers
a spring loaded ram that jambs into whatever is spinning.

And you've hit on the beauty of the system. UInlike many of
the safety features on products today, this one is not
intrusive. I just bought a Poulan electric chainsaw. And while
I'm happy with and think it's a great buy for the money, it
does have two safety features that are a pain. One is the
button that you have to push before you can pull the trigger.
With gloves on, it's hard to do it. The other is it has a hair
trigger that you have to not only keep fully depressed but
a LOT of pressure on to keep the saw going. If you just
let off the pressure a bit, the saw begins to stop.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
[...]

The problem with SawStop has been that each false alarm requires
replacing various mechanical components, which takes time and money. It
doesn't make too many false alarms to make guards more economical.

My recollection is that the sensor measures resistance (not capacitance)
between saw blade and ground, so it won't work with wet wood or metal
stock. The patents should tell the tale.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/4/2012 8:28 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Joe Gwinn- Hide quoted text -

Do you have any figures that indicate that "false alarms" are an
issue?

I agree that "each false alarm requires replacing various mechanical
components" but if there aren't any false alarms, then it's a moot
point.

My only point being that using the words "each false alarm" might make
the reader think that they happen often enough to negate the value of
the device. That is not something I have read or heard about the Saw
Stop device, but the info might be out there somewhere.

False trips have never been proven to be of any fault of the saw. I
have read about the SawStop having an issue with an older electonic
digital watch but Sawstop isolated the problem and took care of the expense.

That said if you are having false trips it may very well be likely that
you are doing something wrong and probably the perfect candidate for a
SawStop, you are probably going to benefit from it. I know of no one
and have read of no one that has actually purchased a Sawstop having
this problem with out a reasonable solution. Users are not complaining.

The only people complaining about the perceived SawStop problems are
those that are uneducated on the product.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/4/2012 8:11 AM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

The problem with SawStop has been that each false alarm requires
replacing various mechanical components, which takes time and money. It
doesn't make too many false alarms to make guards more economical.

My recollection is that the sensor measures resistance (not capacitance)
between saw blade and ground, so it won't work with wet wood or metal
stock. The patents should tell the tale.

AFAIK there's no data available from SawStop on the number of false
positives (and, of course there's no data on how many users turn the
bypass control on to be sure to avoid any chance of same when working
with wet wood such as PT).

The best one can tell from the patent is

"In many of the exemplary embodiments and implementations described above
and in the references incorporated herein, detection subsystem 22 relies
on the inherent electrical capacitance and/or resistance of the user's
body to modify the effective capacitance and/or resistance of the
cutting tool or operative structure."

The patent is (as are all well-constructed ones) written to cover not
only the actual "embodiment" but every possible variation of it that the
applicant can manage to stretch the colorful language to cover. In
early interviews it was pretty clear that it is capacitive coupling that
was used at least in the initial product and I presume it is likely
still the same fundamental technology used in the current saws w/ some
improvements owing to the experience factor. It's the same idea as the
"touch switches" on table lamps, etc. -- the body has much higher
capacitance owing to the water content than does dry lumber and if the
blade monitor sees a drop it presumes that's not good and fires.

It's a clever technology and worthwhile--my complaint w/ Gass is his
attempt to now force it on the market to make a bundle by
legislative/mandatory means rather than by winning the competitive
battle in the marketplace.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

Still more economic fabrication??

The replacement "crumple" thingy *alone* is $69, according to Amazon.
The *whole system* takes a $499 Crapsman table saw, and zooms it up to pert
near $2,000.

Plus, if you notice, those tests were conducted at a *very slow* entry
speed.
If Moi were feeding wood into a table saw at that speed with my finger in
the blade path, I'll bet dollars to donuts I'd jerk dat finger back way
before the blade even came near the bone, proly not much more than a bandaid
could handle.
But poss. a nasty cut too, but nowhere near losing a digit. Of course, much
diff. story in a RAS.

Otoh, in the original video in this idiot/table saw thread, had HIS hand
actually collided with the blade at that hand speed, I wonder how effective
this device would be. SOME damage control, proly, but how much? Mebbe not
enough.
Well, let them demo this sawstop ditty while *whipping* a hot dog into the
blade, see how the hot dog fares. Any such vids?? Not from the mfr, I'll
bet.

If I'm wrong, I bet wrong then. We'll see.

And ahm all for safety, I just detect the looming of the inevitable economic
sodomy.
And, once again the "ante of complexity" just skyrockets in the name of
"safety", again toward economic sodomy.
2012 cars are 50% heavier than cars in 1975 (a 2000# beetle then now weighs
3000#), and pretty soon you'll need a certified dealer to fix a flat for
you.

But then, economic sodomy dudn't seem to faze you, given your support of
Romney the Job Eviscerator.
http://www.villagevoice.com/2012-04-...ican-parasite/

OK, time for an Honesty Session:
Any of you Safety Assholes purchased a crawling helmet for a toddler??
If not, WOULD you???
Be honest.....
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
[...]

Well, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SawStop mentions the problem. Google
sawstop false trips for quite a few hits. Overall, it seems pretty good,
but not perfect. And crunching a good blade could cost *much* more than the
sawstop replacement crumple thingy.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/arti...awstop-killer/ has a nice
alternative, non-destructive.

--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

Well stated.
I myself prefer "economic sodomy", but nothing wrong with pretty-ing it up a
bit...

Patents really suck, eh? LOL
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

I may have mis-spoke.
I just read somewhere that the sawstop adds "only" $100-200 to the cost of
a saw.
BUT, saws sold by sawstop push $2,000.... intrinsically much better saws??
I doubt it, but it's poss.

I would like to see a $500 Crapsman table saw with and without the sawstop,
see what the difference is.
In the meantime, I posted this non-destructive solution in another reply:
http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/arti...awstop-killer/
We'll see who wins.

So, who's buyin crawling helmets out there?? LOL
--
EA

But then, economic sodomy dudn't seem to faze you, given your support of
Romney the Job Eviscerator.
http://www.villagevoice.com/2012-04-...ican-parasite/

OK, time for an Honesty Session:
Any of you Safety Assholes purchased a crawling helmet for a toddler??
If not, WOULD you???
Be honest.....
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Well, let them demo this sawstop ditty while *whipping* a hot dog into the
blade, see how the hot dog fares. Any such vids?? Not from the mfr, I'll
bet.

If I'm wrong, I bet wrong then. We'll see.

And, once again the "ante of complexity" just skyrockets ...
2012 cars are 50% heavier than cars in 1975 (a 2000# beetle then now weighs
3000#),...

Actually, I have seen a demo of Gass w/ a hotdot on a stick and swinging
it pretty quickly. It didn't get more than a nick that at most a stitch
or two would take care of.

As for the VW, sure--it was nothing but a tin can on wheels then...otoh,
a 1975 Buick weighed probably 25% more than the largest one you could
manage to equip today and that's pretty much true on the overall US
fleet average. Has had to happen because of the EPA fleet-average
mileage rules...

The cost differential on the SawStop is owing imo to brand
identification and uniqueness in the field as well as to the actual
production cost differential between that saw and the same one w/o the
actuator mechanism--that really is a meaningless comparison as there
isn't any such thing as the Sawstop cartridge mechanism must be designed
into the saw from the git-go--it can't be retrofitted into a
conventionally designed/built saw.

Just as PM and Delta get a premium over Jet for only moderately better
performing saws--they get it because of the reputation they've built
over the years (whether it still deserves the same respect is immaterial
as long as they can command the differential it's a real effect).

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/4/2012 12:33 PM, dpb wrote:

It's a clever technology and worthwhile--my complaint w/ Gass is his
attempt to now force it on the market to make a bundle by
legislative/mandatory means rather than by winning the competitive
battle in the marketplace.

I was going to add that it will be _most_ interesting when the first
failure to actuate when needed occurs and the ensuing lawsuit forces
him/SawStop to rely on the same arguments to try to defend his bottom
line as they used against the present manufacturers of inherently
unsafe...

It _will_ happen eventually; no technology is completely failure-proof
either from a simple failure of the mechanics to fire when demanded or
the electrical sensor system fails or whatever.

Or, the doofus operator like the one that got Hitachi(?) who has no
knowledge of the operation and doesn't know the override is on and then
sues because the saw should've known that and not let him...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...

On 12/4/2012 12:33 PM, dpb wrote:

[...]

Or the guy that has it turned off because he doesn't want an accidental
trip, hurts himself and then sues, claiming that it was on.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
This guy purposely caused kickback on his table saw to prove a point.

Make sure you watch what happens at 4:20 into the video.

He agrees with anyone who calls him an idiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sRrC2Jpp4

Excellent vid, valuable lesson.
He's not an idiot, he just didn't have the control over the situation as
he expected. **** happens, even with good intentions.

He proly would not have lost a digit or part thereof (as in a RAS), but he
certainly came close to requiring a lot of stitches, and poss. nerve
damage -- which can be almost as bad as losing a digit.

How does a riving knife work? Never saw one before this.

Apropos of this, the SawStop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiYoB...endscreen&NR=1

Am I the only one who would never work with the blade that far above the
wood?

I normally have only a quarter to 3/8 inch of the blade above the piece
of wood. (Higher for harder wood)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/4/2012 1:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:38 am, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

The only people complaining about the perceived SawStop problems are
those that are uneducated on the product.

That's what I thought and that's why I asked.

However, something you said needs some clarification, at least to me.

You said: "That said if you are having false trips it may very well
be likely that you are doing something wrong and probably the perfect
candidate for a SawStop, you are probably going to benefit from it."

What could a user be doing that would cause "false trips"? If there
are no documented false trip issues, then wouldn't any trips caused by
someone doing something wrong actually be *real*?

Theoretically, one could get close enough to the blade to trigger it w/o
actually touching it. That scenario is mentioned in the patent
background since the detection circuit is capacitively coupled there
doesn't have to be actual contact if the disturbance of the capacitance
field is sufficient the actuator logic will think "something's bad" and
trigger.

At least initially there was a manual override switch that one could use
to disable the detection circuitry and I presume there still is altho I
haven't searched the current sales lit thoroughly. It was (is) there
for the express purpose of preventing a false positive trip if the saw
were being used for, say, wet PT lumber or some other product that had a
high-enough capacitance to cause actuation. If the operator thinks it
isn't needed for a given cut or forgets to flip the switch, that's a
second category (albeit one could claim that one is operator error only,
not a false positive, still, the effect is the same).

Similar to that is the possibility of an embedded metallic object (a
nail, iow) that happens to also be in contact w/ the table at the time
it's hit by the blade--that will almost certainly trigger it even though
SS says just a nail if not grounded likely won't be large enough to.

There is always then the chance failure--stuff happens; no technology is
perfect. Undoubtedly small, but still has to be finite and positive.

I notice now that SS has a submittal form for "saves" that says if you
ship them the cartridge/blade and they can determine it actually was
flesh that caused the trip they'll provide a replacement cartridge.
That doesn't cover the cost of either repairing an expensive blade or
replacing one, but it is something. Of course, in that case the avoided
cost of the medical bills likely otherwise probably overshadow the
repair costs significantly.

There is no information at all on the SS site on actual statistics of
any value to do any estimation at all of either type of
actuation--needed or false. There _is_ a (to me) blatant use of the
scare stories and a big countdown clock of "time to next saw accident"
that's just tacky, but then that's me...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/4/2012 2:35 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Am I the only one who would never work with the blade that far above the
wood?

I normally have only a quarter to 3/8 inch of the blade above the piece
of wood. (Higher for harder wood)

Gullet should be at the surface cut or just tad proud for
crosscutting/ripping, granted.

As for "never", well, every rule has its exception. If I'm cutting for
a notch, I may well set the blade at its maximum height to have the
least angle possible and thereby the shortest possible undercut on the
back side of the piece...

But, in general, the point is good one...excessive blade exposure is to
be avoided.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 4, 9:11*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

The problem with SawStop has been that each false
alarm requires replacing various mechanical components,
which takes time and money.

Hopefully, just the block and the blade. The entire
machine is going to need a checking over, since
whatever force isn't dissipated by crushing the
block is going to absorbed by the parts it
attaches to. Looks like the whole saw jumps
in that demo.

OTOH, $20,000 for an ER visit will buy you one
hell of a nice saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Subject

The ambulance chasers are beginning to advertise on daytime
TV here in SoCal for tablesaw accident victims.

Like the smell of blood draws some, money attracts the vultures.

Lew

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...

[...]

Actually, that was my initial understanding, until I read the thing about SS
adding only $100-200 to a saw, giving the impression it could be retrofitted
somehow.

So there really IS economic sodomy here....
Trader4 ought to be ecstatic.....
--
EA

Just as PM and Delta get a premium over Jet for only moderately better
performing saws--they get it because of the reputation they've built over
the years (whether it still deserves the same respect is immaterial as
long as they can command the differential it's a real effect).

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...
Subject

The ambulance chasers are beginning to advertise on daytime
TV here in SoCal for tablesaw accident victims.

Like the smell of blood draws some, money attracts the vultures.

HD proly took note. It's amazing the saws in their lumber dept can cut wood
at all....
--
EA

Lew

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 15:37:40 -0500, knuttle

[...]

If I need to cut a notch..I use the horizontal bandsaw

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote in :

On 12/4/2012 12:33 PM, dpb wrote:

[...]

Hmmm...An old Abbott & Costello episode where Costello was selling vacuum
cleaners comes to mind. Anybody with me yet? Woman had no electricity. He
had to eat the dirt he dumped on the floor.

Let's see, power goes out, lights go out, hand reduces down/forward
pressure, wood kicks, fingers hit hot dog blade that's spinnning full
bore, ooops! no electricity to sense, fingers splat on back wall. Wonder
if hot dog man has that one covered?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Red Green wrote:

Hmmm...An old Abbott & Costello

1946 Movie, 'Little Giant'

episode where Costello was selling

Hercules

vacuum
cleaners comes to mind. Anybody with me yet? Woman had no electricity. He
had to eat the dirt he dumped on the floor.

Let's see, power goes out, lights go out, hand reduces down/forward
pressure, wood kicks, fingers hit hot dog blade that's spinnning full
bore, ooops! no electricity to sense, fingers splat on back wall. Wonder
if hot dog man has that one covered?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I'll take the saw stop over that add on shield.
First that shield won't work when using my tenoning jig.
Second I can't clearly see what I am doing and consider it an
obstruction, I don't use a guard for that reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

And we all know that wiki and the internet must tell the truth.

Bon Jour!
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Cutting wet wood and not over riding the system. Just for starters.
No fault of the saw. I see a false trip as something that should not
have happened and is the fault of the saw.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/4/2012 4:56 PM, Red Green wrote:
dpb wrote in :

On 12/4/2012 12:33 PM, dpb wrote:

[...]

If the saw was running, it will stop if there is a loss of power. Yes
the stop will work if the saw is turned off.

Capacitor
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

That is the number that has and or was quoted 10 years ago in 10 years
ago dollars. But on the other hand you need to understand the
difference in the cost of adding the feature to a saw and what the
retail price will be. You are no going to buy a new saw for cost.

BUT, saws sold by sawstop push $2,000.... intrinsically much better saws??
I doubt it, but it's poss.

You are really adding nothing of value, you are obviously not familiar
with this product which BTY is not new by any stretch of the imagination.

I would like to see a $500 Crapsman table saw with and without the sawstop,
see what the difference is.
In the meantime, I posted this non-destructive solution in another reply:
http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/arti...awstop-killer/
We'll see who wins.

So, who's buyin crawling helmets out there?? LOL

So have you heard of the the iPad, it is much newer than the SawStop.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Dec 4, 4:28 pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in

[...]

What on earth about it costing $100 to $200 to add
it to a saw gave you the impression in can be retrofitted?
When they said that air bags or anti-lock brakes would
add $300 to a car, did you think that meant you could
retrofit it to your 1965 Chevy?
Did you look at the same video we all did? It also relies on sensor
technology that detects
the change in capacitance/resistance when you touch
it. For that to work, clearly the blade has to be perfectly
insulated from the table and the rest of the apparatus.
Think that's possible with your current saw? Actually, I bet the
resistance is near zero.
Steel blade, shaft, bearings, etc.

So there really IS economic sodomy here....
Trader4 ought to be ecstatic.....
--
EA

I'm just happy that after hurling the usual insults,
winds up with you showing that you're as clueless as ever.
And I'm sure I'm not the only one here wondering why
in a discussion of saw safety features your mind is
focused on sodomy. Have something special planned
for tonight?

Your wife? But only if she's not too sore from the last go-around....
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 12/4/2012 4:56 PM, Red Green wrote:

*snip*

Let's see, power goes out, lights go out, hand reduces down/forward
pressure, wood kicks, fingers hit hot dog blade that's spinnning full
bore, ooops! no electricity to sense, fingers splat on back wall.
Wonder if hot dog man has that one covered?

If the saw was running, it will stop if there is a loss of power. Yes
the stop will work if the saw is turned off.

Capacitor

Depending on the way it's set up, it might be possible to leave the
detection system active even in the case of a power failure. As long as
there was enough energy to actuate the cartridge release, the system
could still function.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

Whatever you do, don't quit your day job -- heh, which proly doesn't pay
much, otherwise you proly wouldn't be such a snippy li'l prick.
--
EA

Sometimes I'm an idiot Bob La Londe Metalworking 4 September 23rd 10 10:25 PM
I'm such an idiot! zxcvbob Home Repair 5 August 27th 07 12:24 PM
Idiot needs help Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) UK diy 12 April 16th 07 07:57 PM
I'm an idiot--router table department J. Clarke Woodworking 7 November 10th 06 03:07 PM