Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default An idiot and his table saw...

Well, let them demo this sawstop ditty while *whipping* a hot dog into the
blade, see how the hot dog fares. Any such vids?? Not from the mfr, I'll
bet.

If I'm wrong, I bet wrong then. We'll see.

And, once again the "ante of complexity" just skyrockets ...
2012 cars are 50% heavier than cars in 1975 (a 2000# beetle then now weighs
3000#),...

Actually, I have seen a demo of Gass w/ a hotdot on a stick and swinging
it pretty quickly. It didn't get more than a nick that at most a stitch
or two would take care of.

As for the VW, sure--it was nothing but a tin can on wheels then...otoh,
a 1975 Buick weighed probably 25% more than the largest one you could
manage to equip today and that's pretty much true on the overall US
fleet average. Has had to happen because of the EPA fleet-average
mileage rules...

The cost differential on the SawStop is owing imo to brand
identification and uniqueness in the field as well as to the actual
production cost differential between that saw and the same one w/o the
actuator mechanism--that really is a meaningless comparison as there
isn't any such thing as the Sawstop cartridge mechanism must be designed
into the saw from the git-go--it can't be retrofitted into a
conventionally designed/built saw.

Just as PM and Delta get a premium over Jet for only moderately better
performing saws--they get it because of the reputation they've built
over the years (whether it still deserves the same respect is immaterial
as long as they can command the differential it's a real effect).