Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Idiot needs help

Just put 1 Litre of two stoke oil in my car (Ford Ka)-in the oil filler bit
..
A senior moment. Will this cause any problems.?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
Just put 1 Litre of two stoke oil in my car (Ford Ka)-in the oil
filler bit .
A senior moment. Will this cause any problems.?

Probably. Get it out and start again, I would. I assume you were changing
the oil otherwise you shouldn't have been able to fit a whole litre in?

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 07:33:55 +0100, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:

Just put 1 Litre of two stoke oil in my car (Ford Ka)-in the oil filler bit
.
A senior moment. Will this cause any problems.?

What's a 'senior' person doing driving a Ford Ka?

;-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:15:11 +0100, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
mused:

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
Just put 1 Litre of two stoke oil in my car (Ford Ka)-in the oil
filler bit .
A senior moment. Will this cause any problems.?

Probably. Get it out and start again, I would.

Yep.

I assume you were changing
the oil otherwise you shouldn't have been able to fit a whole litre in?

You'd be surprised, I had a car, X plate, used to fit about 4 litres
of oil in every couple of Months, but I do do slightly higher mileage
then the average senior Ford Ka driver.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

Just put 1 Litre of two stoke oil in my car (Ford Ka)-in the oil
filler bit .
A senior moment. Will this cause any problems.?

If you were topping up the oil, a litre seems rather a lot to be putting in
at one go. What volume is required is get you from the low mark to the high
mark on the dipstick? What is the overall engine oil capacicy? [Your
driver's handbook should provide answers to both of these questions.]

Two stroke oil is thinner than normal engine oil, since it's designed to be
mixed with the fuel in 2-stroke engines. It won't lubricate a 4-stroke
engine as well as 'proper' oil. I would drain *all* the oil out ASAP, and
refill with the proper stuff, and change the filter too for good measure. If
you don't feel competent to do it, get a garage to do it. Driving round
gently with the current mixture won't do too much harm in the short term,
but change it as soon as you can.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

[...]

The OP stated that he'd put 'two stoke oil' into his Ka; now, a Stoke is the
measurement of viscosity - is 'two stoke oil' equivalent to 200 cS
(centi-Stoke) oil? What viscosity of oil should be inserted into a Ka?
Enquiring minds .... he may be trolling ... or perhaps not!

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

[...]

An interesting theory! I read it as STROKE and believe that was what he
meant, even if he wrote STOKE.

I would be very surprised if the viscosity of engine oil was specified in
Stokes - or even in Centistokes (cSt) - on the tin, the more usual
designation being SAE 10W/30 or whatever.

FWIW, there's an equivalence table at
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl...Viscosity.html - from which
it can be seen that most 'normal' engine oil has a viscosity of less than 10
cSt - and certainly not 200!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

Just put 1 Litre of two stoke oil in my car (Ford Ka)-in the oil
filler bit .
A senior moment. Will this cause any problems.?

If you were topping up the oil, a litre seems rather a lot to be putting in
at one go.

I have had a series of new Rover cars, all of them petrol with steel
rims. I gave up checking oil levels, tyre pressures, brake fluid levels
and power steering fluids between services. They were so good, that none
of them ever dropped below the minimum and I was doing more than 20,000
miles a year.

Going back a few years, I did have some Austin cars that wanted a litre
of oil occasionally.

What volume is required is get you from the low mark to the high
mark on the dipstick? What is the overall engine oil capacicy? [Your
driver's handbook should provide answers to both of these questions.]

Usually a litre.

Two stroke oil is thinner than normal engine oil, since it's designed to be
mixed with the fuel in 2-stroke engines. It won't lubricate a 4-stroke
engine as well as 'proper' oil. I would drain *all* the oil out ASAP, and
refill with the proper stuff, and change the filter too for good measure. If
you don't feel competent to do it, get a garage to do it. Driving round
gently with the current mixture won't do too much harm in the short term,
but change it as soon as you can.

Isn't this something akin to the thread a few months ago about putting
petrol into a diesel engine car. I think the general consensus was it
was OK providing that the ratio was within certain limits.

One litre of oil will not dilute 4 litres that much, surely?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Roger Mills wrote:
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the expert advice which has been absorbed. I meant Stroke not
Stoke (not trolling).
I will be back with another "cock up" soon no doubt:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
Just put 1 Litre of two stoke oil in my car (Ford Ka)-in the oil filler
bit .
A senior moment. Will this cause any problems.?

If you only do short journeys, it probably won't. If you do long, fast
journeys, it might.
To put your mind at rest, you should drain all the engine oil and put fresh
oil in.
If you change the engine oil yourself: It's recommended that you warm the
engine up by taking the car on a short (as required) run. Then drain the oil
quickly.
If a garage does it for you, _insist_ on them warming the engine up first.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:00:59 GMT "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
wrote:

If you only do short journeys, it probably won't. If you do long, fast
journeys, it might.

Fast journeys - In a Ka ?????

- Steve Lowe
- E-Mail :
- Before Replying Remove .NO.SPAM
- UK Resident although my e-mail address is usa.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Steve Lowe wrote:
If you only do short journeys, it probably won't. If you do long,
fast journeys, it might.

Fast journeys - In a Ka ?????

Does Motorail still exist?

Owain

Don't think so. But 'fast' is relative anyway! If you were to run a 4-stroke
lawnmower flat out on 2-stroke oil it wouldn't do it any good! [The 'Ka'
always seemed a bit agricultural, to me!]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Lowe wrote:
If you only do short journeys, it probably won't. If you do long, fast
journeys, it might.

Fast journeys - In a Ka ?????

Even the smallest one can exceed the national limit by over 20 mph. They
also handle very well so will beat many much more powerful cars on the
twisty bits.

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.