Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Idiot needs help

Brian Sharrock wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

Just put 1 Litre of two stoke oil in my car (Ford Ka)-in the oil
filler bit .
A senior moment. Will this cause any problems.?

If you were topping up the oil, a litre seems rather a lot to be
putting in at one go. What volume is required is get you from the
low mark to the high mark on the dipstick? What is the overall
engine oil capacicy? [Your driver's handbook should provide answers
to both of these questions.] Two stroke oil is thinner than normal engine
oil, since it's
designed to be mixed with the fuel in 2-stroke engines. It won't
lubricate a 4-stroke engine as well as 'proper' oil. I would drain
*all* the oil out ASAP, and refill with the proper stuff, and change
the filter too for good measure. If you don't feel competent to do
it, get a garage to do it. Driving round gently with the current
mixture won't do too much harm in the short term, but change it as
soon as you can.

The OP stated that he'd put 'two stoke oil' into his Ka; now, a Stoke
is the measurement of viscosity - is 'two stoke oil' equivalent to
200 cS (centi-Stoke) oil? What viscosity of oil should be inserted
into a Ka? Enquiring minds .... he may be trolling ... or perhaps not!

An interesting theory! I read it as STROKE and believe that was what he
meant, even if he wrote STOKE.

I would be very surprised if the viscosity of engine oil was specified in
Stokes - or even in Centistokes (cSt) - on the tin, the more usual
designation being SAE 10W/30 or whatever.

FWIW, there's an equivalence table at
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl...Viscosity.html - from which
it can be seen that most 'normal' engine oil has a viscosity of less than 10
cSt - and certainly not 200!
--
Cheers,
Roger