Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Idiot needs help

Roger Mills wrote:
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

Just put 1 Litre of two stoke oil in my car (Ford Ka)-in the oil
filler bit .
A senior moment. Will this cause any problems.?

If you were topping up the oil, a litre seems rather a lot to be putting in
at one go.

I have had a series of new Rover cars, all of them petrol with steel
rims. I gave up checking oil levels, tyre pressures, brake fluid levels
and power steering fluids between services. They were so good, that none
of them ever dropped below the minimum and I was doing more than 20,000
miles a year.

Going back a few years, I did have some Austin cars that wanted a litre
of oil occasionally.

What volume is required is get you from the low mark to the high
mark on the dipstick? What is the overall engine oil capacicy? [Your
driver's handbook should provide answers to both of these questions.]

Usually a litre.

Two stroke oil is thinner than normal engine oil, since it's designed to be
mixed with the fuel in 2-stroke engines. It won't lubricate a 4-stroke
engine as well as 'proper' oil. I would drain *all* the oil out ASAP, and
refill with the proper stuff, and change the filter too for good measure. If
you don't feel competent to do it, get a garage to do it. Driving round
gently with the current mixture won't do too much harm in the short term,
but change it as soon as you can.

Isn't this something akin to the thread a few months ago about putting
petrol into a diesel engine car. I think the general consensus was it
was OK providing that the ratio was within certain limits.

One litre of oil will not dilute 4 litres that much, surely?

Dave