Upscale

Default Trying to be an Idiot and SUCCEEDING!

Up bright and early Saturday morning and while lounging around, I glance at
the 5.1 Surround Sound speaker system (still in its box) I'd bought for my
computer. Another glance at the computer and I spy all the loose various
wires and stuff hanging around the computer system. "I know," says I, "It's
about time I cut the holes for the 1.1/4" electrical conduit I'd previously
bought and run all those loose wires through it and set the speaker system
up at the same time ~ clean up everything good."

An hour later, I've marked all the locations for three holes I need to drill
in the old desk I use as a computer station. Cordless drill in hand with
1.3/8" hole saw installed, I start cutting through the sides of the 1/2"
plastic laminated, particle board desk. It's under the desk and I'm drilling
by feel instead of seeing. First hole goes really smooth, 30 seconds of
cutting. Second hole goes just as fast. "Hey, this is easier than I'd
thought it would be." says I, wondering why I put it off for so long.

Start the third hole. Same material, same 1/2" thickness, but this time it's
really, really, tough cutting. 20 minutes later, the cordless battery is
dying and I've barely cut 1/8" an inch of material. No metal or anything
different, just the same particle board. Angle a few mirrors to see where
I'm cutting and yes, it's the right spot. "Screw this" says I, as I run off
to get the 1" spade bit to drill a working hole which I can widen when
necessary. I'm through messing around trying to cut a clean hole, I just
want a hole there of any type.

Second charged battery in the drill with chucked 1" spade bit and 20 minutes
later, the second battery is dying on me, my arms are hurting and I'm
cursing up a storm. There's no way in hell I'm going to let this thing beat
me. Stick the batteries in the charger and run down to the local hardware
store to buy me a nice, new, sharp 1 3/8" hole saw.

An hour later I'm back with the new hole saw, fully recharged batteries on
hand and drilling at the same spot. 30 minutes later, I've only drilled a
further 1/8" and by this time, I'm ready to throw the drill, desk, computer
and everything through the window.

THEN I SEE IT....

Somewhere between the second and third hole, I'd accidentally knocked the
slide switch putting that miserable, damned, F#*/$^G, cordless drill in
reverse. Think I was swearing before? You should have heard me after. Put it
back into forward and less than a minute later, the hole was cut.

Figure I've got a number of months accrued, all the swearing I did on this
one. Somewhere, somehow, that cordless drill is going to pay if I have to
beat it to a pulp with a sledge hammer.

Greg Millen

ROFL! Glad it wasn't me (this time)!

--
Greg

"Upscale" wrote in message ...

snip of one of lifes little tests

Figure I've got a number of months accrued, all the swearing I did on this
one. Somewhere, somehow, that cordless drill is going to pay if I have to
beat it to a pulp with a sledge hammer.

Mike Hide

Just one of those days when you end behind where you started. I remember
years back I used to do some clock case repairs, antique longcase clocks .
One day I found a couple of pieces of what looked like handblown glass which
is pretty rare .So I put it in a safe place under the stairs a place I never
ventured to and no one else did either.I would use it only on some really
good old clocks that needed only the best to retain their value .

A year or so later I was cutting glass for a so longcase clock. the glass in
the later ones is square with a semicircular piece surmounting the top
side.the base of the semicircular section is shorter than the top side of
the square section and of course it is all one piece . So cutting the glass
is a bit tricky as you have that internal corner to cut where the
semicircular section meets the square one .

I went an got three or four pieces of regular 1/8" glass and started with
the glass cutter, then I gently tapped the glass to break out the corner and
it broke across the top .next time I did the same only backcutting the same
pattern in the underside with the same result . After I did the last sheet
with the same result again I was so ****ed I took what was left of that
sheet of glass an threw it across the shop. The projectile landed under the
stair and smashed every piece of old glass I had saved over the years.

I said some words I had never used since my youth,turned the shop lights out
and went home . It was about that time when I started drinking
manhattans.....mjh

--
http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2
"Upscale" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
[...]

Clif

Feel for ya man, it could always be worse though.

1. I was drilling to run a line for an alarm and a ball of fire shot out of
my drill, dont know where it came from, but I quit for the night.

2. One of my techs drilled repeatedly into a wall to fish a line down using
a 6 ft bit. Couldnt figure out why he couldnt find it under the floor,
until the owner of the house started screaming. He had been drilling THROUGH
the wall and into the back of an antique grandfather clock from Germany.
Don't ask how much it cost us to satisfy that customer.

Clif
"Upscale" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
[...]

loutent

Somewhere between the second and third hole, I'd accidentally knocked the
slide switch putting that miserable, damned, F#*/$^G, cordless drill in
reverse.

Embarrassed to tell this one, but since you came clean:

About a month ago I was ripping some 1/4" oak ply on the TS.

It was really giving rough cuts and I was thinking that maybe I needed
a new blade or something - then (after about 4 cuts) I realized I had
put the blade on backwards!

Later I was thinking that the cuts weren't that bad considering
it was cutting "backwards"!!

It's the sort of thing that happens in woodworking - just when you
think that your pretty good, the WW God slaps you right back
down where you belong!

Lou

Edwin Pawlowski

"Upscale" wrote in message
Somewhere between the second and third hole, I'd accidentally knocked the
slide switch putting that miserable, damned, F#*/$^G, cordless drill in
reverse.

Easy enough to fix, just drill the hole from the other side.

Funny story.
Ed

Joe Wells

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:16:24 +0000, Upscale wrote:

Up bright and early Saturday morning ... I'd accidentally knocked the
slide switch putting that miserable, damned, F#*/$^G, cordless drill in
reverse.

I think we've all done that one (although maybe without quite the same
persistence ;^). It's taught me to always "bump" the trigger just to see
if the bit's spinning the way I want it to. It's an unconscious habit for
me now.

--
Joe Wells

Norman D. Crow

"loutent" wrote in message
Somewhere between the second and third hole, I'd accidentally knocked

the
slide switch putting that miserable, damned, F#*/$^G, cordless drill

in
reverse.

Embarrassed to tell this one, but since you came clean:

About a month ago I was ripping some 1/4" oak ply on the TS.

It was really giving rough cuts and I was thinking that maybe I needed
a new blade or something - then (after about 4 cuts) I realized I had
put the blade on backwards!

Later I was thinking that the cuts weren't that bad considering
it was cutting "backwards"!!

It's the sort of thing that happens in woodworking - just when you
think that your pretty good, the WW God slaps you right back
down where you belong!

Funny, they just don't seem to work well like that. Occasionally my DW
drywall screwgun will get the switch bumped, and it doesn't do real well
trying to set those 2" screws like that.

'Nother time I did Spring maintenance on my friends 22" mower, he told me it
was cutting very poorly. Seems I put the blade back on bass ackwards after
sharpening it.

--
Nahmie

John

Saw a orthopedic surgeon with a new surgical drill throw about a dozen
bits across the OR and screaming that they were ALL DULL.

Of course, he refused to come in to get acquainted with the new DRILL,
and after about the 13th drill bit he tried, anesthesia leaned over
the drapes and said "Drill bits work best when they are spun in the
RIGHT direction. Take that drill out of REVERSE and it should work
just fine" Of course, the anesthesia person had been sitting back and
taking bets with thier collegues as to HOW LONG it would take the
dumb**** orthopedic surgeon to figure out he was running the drill in
reverse

Of course, at a patient charge of around $100 a drill bit, I wonder
WHO paid for the $1300 worth of drill bits the surgeon wasted?? In a
FAIR world, the surgeon should have had to pay for them, in the REAL
world I betcha YOU and I (via insurance premiums) paid for this prime
example of stupidity

John

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:49:17 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

"loutent" wrote in message
[...]

patriarch

loutent wrote in
:

Somewhere between the second and third hole, I'd accidentally
knocked the slide switch putting that miserable, damned, F#*/$^G,
cordless drill in reverse.

Embarrassed to tell this one, but since you came clean:

About a month ago I was ripping some 1/4" oak ply on the TS.

It was really giving rough cuts and I was thinking that maybe I needed
a new blade or something - then (after about 4 cuts) I realized I had
put the blade on backwards!

Later I was thinking that the cuts weren't that bad considering
it was cutting "backwards"!!

It's the sort of thing that happens in woodworking - just when you
think that your pretty good, the WW God slaps you right back
down where you belong!

Lou

And when you put the slot cutter on the routerbit set on upside down, the
smell you get from red oak is truly memorable! It was even more fun,
because my father was watching, and laughing!

The fact that only pride was bruised is a good thing! (tm ms)

Patriarch

FEngelman

now I've done that too, but what I thought the answer was going to be was that
th etwo half inch thick plugs were still in the hole saw....leaving only 1/8 th
inch of hole saw exposed....this is one I've done also
Wayne K.

Now now... The drill played fair...it didn't do anything wrong. It did
exactly what you were asking of it.
Chalk it up to a funny story and let the drill live to play another day.
(I'm sure it won't happen again.)
Wayne K.
Columbia MD

"Upscale" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

Somewhere, somehow, that cordless drill is going to pay if I have to
beat it to a pulp with a sledge hammer.

Lawrence Wasserman

Good story, but I thought you were leading up to drilling a hole
through your computer case or something.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Norman D. Crow

"Wayne K." wrote in message
Now now... The drill played fair...it didn't do anything wrong. It did
exactly what you were asking of it.
Chalk it up to a funny story and let the drill live to play another day.
(I'm sure it won't happen again.)
Wayne K.
Columbia MD

"Upscale" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

Somewhere, somehow, that cordless drill is going to pay if I have to
beat it to a pulp with a sledge hammer.

I believe I said something like this, a few months back . . "The operator
must still be more intelligent than the machine".(G,D&R)

--
Nahmie

Tim Douglass

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:40:57 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

I believe I said something like this, a few months back . . "The operator
must still be more intelligent than the machine".(G,D&R)

Back when I worked in the computer industry we used to refer to PEBKAC
- Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Norman D. Crow wrote:

"Wayne K." wrote in message
Now now... The drill played fair...it didn't do anything wrong. It did
exactly what you were asking of it.
Chalk it up to a funny story and let the drill live to play another day.
(I'm sure it won't happen again.)
Wayne K.
Columbia MD

"Upscale" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

Somewhere, somehow, that cordless drill is going to pay if I have to
beat it to a pulp with a sledge hammer.

I believe I said something like this, a few months back . . "The operator
must still be more intelligent than the machine".(G,D&R)

Or, as my High School wood-shop teacher used to put it:
"You've got to out-think the materials you work with."

The scary part of that class was that I was, according to the instructor,
the _only_ student where the materials were on the short end of the odds.

John Barry

patriarch wrote in message 7.77...

And when you put the slot cutter on the routerbit set on upside down, the
smell you get from red oak is truly memorable! It was even more fun,
because my father was watching, and laughing!

The fact that only pride was bruised is a good thing! (tm ms)

Patriarch

Even easier (my excuse) is to put one of the two-wing cutters of a
stacked dado set in backwards. Did that the very first time, to cut a
1/2" dado in fir. Which it did with a little more effort, noise and
smoke than I'd anticipated. The cut was surprisingly clean. Really.

John
James

Standard software error, no communication between data input/output
devices and central processing unit.

Same thing happened when I forgot to turn a 6" band saw inside right.
Took 20 min to get to the mill and 10 min to fix my problem

wrote:

I believe I said something like this, a few months back . . "The operator
must still be more intelligent than the machine".(G,D&R)

Back when I worked in the computer industry we used to refer to PEBKAC
- Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Dan Cullimore

wrote:

I believe I said something like this, a few months back . . "The operator
must still be more intelligent than the machine".(G,D&R)

Back when I worked in the computer industry we used to refer to PEBKAC
- Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

A about a year after buying a 14.4v PC cordless I took it in for
servicing thinking that somehow I had stripped the gears--the motor
turned, but it made a real sad sound and had no torque. My tool
mechanic took the drill, flipped the forward/reverse switch, and the
drill came back to life. I'd managed to bump the switch, putting it
between forward and reverse. I never thought it would stay in that
position, but it did. I thanked him sheepishly, and developed a habit
of checking the switch whenever I use the drill. Once was enough.

Steven P

I did the exact same thing with my 4 year old Ryobi 14.4. Took the damn
thing apart and put it back together. I took it as a learning experience.
It was nice to find out that it had steel gears.

Steve P.

"Dan Cullimore" wrote in message
om...

. ..
wrote:

[...]

vmtw

"Upscale" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
[...]

1 Had an Uncle who couldnt hear his lawn mower running so he lifted up
the deck to see why the blade wasent turning. Turns out that the
blade WAS turning and he cut off 4 fingers (yah, the 4 that went under
the deck when he was lifting up the mower). He stuck his hand in a
plastic bag so he wouldnt drip blood on the carpet and walked to the
hospital. Couldnt save the fingers though.

2 Had to cut a piece of plywood with my circular saw so I put it on
scrap blocks on my table saw extension table. Forgot to set the depth
of cut and ended up cutting 3/4 of the way through my table before I
figured out what was going on!
Norman D. Crow

"Dan Cullimore" wrote in message
om...
Tim Douglass wrote in message

. ..
A about a year after buying a 14.4v PC cordless I took it in for
servicing thinking that somehow I had stripped the gears--the motor
turned, but it made a real sad sound and had no torque. My tool
mechanic took the drill, flipped the forward/reverse switch, and the
drill came back to life. I'd managed to bump the switch, putting it
between forward and reverse. I never thought it would stay in that
position, but it did. I thanked him sheepishly, and developed a habit
of checking the switch whenever I use the drill. Once was enough.

Once in a great while, my Makita 12V will suddenly not turn, or have no
torque, and make a terrible grinding noise. After the first near heart
attack @ this happening, I discovered I had bumped the shift button for
low/high speed so it was between gears!

--
Nahmie

Doug Miller

In article , "Norman D. Crow" wrote:

Once in a great while, my Makita 12V will suddenly not turn, or have no
torque, and make a terrible grinding noise. After the first near heart
attack @ this happening, I discovered I had bumped the shift button for
low/high speed so it was between gears!

Same thing happens with my Bosch. Same reaction in me, too.

--
Regards,