Mike Hide

"Mike Hide" wrote in message news:...
Just one of those days when you end behind where you started. I remember
years back I used to do some clock case repairs, antique longcase clocks .
One day I found a couple of pieces of what looked like handblown glass

which
is pretty rare .So I put it in a safe place under the stairs a place I

never
ventured to and no one else did either.I would use it only on some really
good old clocks that needed only the best to retain their value .

A year or so later I was cutting glass for a so longcase clock. the glass

in
the later ones is square with a semicircular piece surmounting the top
side.the base of the semicircular section is shorter than the top side of
the square section and of course it is all one piece . So cutting the

glass
is a bit tricky as you have that internal corner to cut where the
semicircular section meets the square one .

I went an got three or four pieces of regular 1/8" glass and started with
the glass cutter, then I gently tapped the glass to break out the corner

and
it broke across the top .next time I did the same only backcutting the

same
pattern in the underside with the same result . After I did the last sheet
with the same result again I was so ****ed I took what was left of that
sheet of glass an threw it across the shop. The projectile landed under

the
stair and smashed every piece of old glass I had saved over the years.

I said some words I had never used since my youth,turned the shop lights

out
and went home . It was about that time when I started drinking
manhattans.....mjh

--
http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2
"Upscale" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Up bright and early Saturday morning and while lounging around, I glance

at
the 5.1 Surround Sound speaker system (still in its box) I'd bought for

my
computer. Another glance at the computer and I spy all the loose various
wires and stuff hanging around the computer system. "I know," says I,

"It's
about time I cut the holes for the 1.1/4" electrical conduit I'd

previously
bought and run all those loose wires through it and set the speaker

system
up at the same time ~ clean up everything good."

An hour later, I've marked all the locations for three holes I need to

drill
in the old desk I use as a computer station. Cordless drill in hand with
1.3/8" hole saw installed, I start cutting through the sides of the 1/2"
plastic laminated, particle board desk. It's under the desk and I'm

drilling
by feel instead of seeing. First hole goes really smooth, 30 seconds of
cutting. Second hole goes just as fast. "Hey, this is easier than I'd
thought it would be." says I, wondering why I put it off for so long.

Start the third hole. Same material, same 1/2" thickness, but this time

it's
really, really, tough cutting. 20 minutes later, the cordless battery is
dying and I've barely cut 1/8" an inch of material. No metal or anything
different, just the same particle board. Angle a few mirrors to see

where
I'm cutting and yes, it's the right spot. "Screw this" says I, as I run

off
to get the 1" spade bit to drill a working hole which I can widen when
necessary. I'm through messing around trying to cut a clean hole, I just
want a hole there of any type.

Second charged battery in the drill with chucked 1" spade bit and 20

minutes
later, the second battery is dying on me, my arms are hurting and I'm
cursing up a storm. There's no way in hell I'm going to let this thing

beat
me. Stick the batteries in the charger and run down to the local

hardware
store to buy me a nice, new, sharp 1 3/8" hole saw.

An hour later I'm back with the new hole saw, fully recharged batteries

on
hand and drilling at the same spot. 30 minutes later, I've only drilled

further 1/8" and by this time, I'm ready to throw the drill, desk,

computer
and everything through the window.

THEN I SEE IT....

Somewhere between the second and third hole, I'd accidentally knocked

the
slide switch putting that miserable, damned, F#*/$^G, cordless drill in
reverse. Think I was swearing before? You should have heard me after.

Put
it
back into forward and less than a minute later, the hole was cut.

Figure I've got a number of months accrued, all the swearing I did on

this
one. Somewhere, somehow, that cordless drill is going to pay if I have

beat it to a pulp with a sledge hammer.