Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default An idiot and his table saw...

On 12/4/2012 2:35 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Am I the only one who would never work with the blade that far above the
wood?

I normally have only a quarter to 3/8 inch of the blade above the piece
of wood. (Higher for harder wood)

Gullet should be at the surface cut or just tad proud for
crosscutting/ripping, granted.

As for "never", well, every rule has its exception. If I'm cutting for
a notch, I may well set the blade at its maximum height to have the
least angle possible and thereby the shortest possible undercut on the
back side of the piece...

But, in general, the point is good one...excessive blade exposure is to
be avoided.