Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A new shop dog

Just brought her home from the SPCA. Great Pyrenees cross. Name of Kaci.

She'd been at the pound 131 days, and is about 13 months old. The
socializing and obedience training begins...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/balderstone/8236646398/in/photostream

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because itıs the one thing I can think of that probably doesnıt. *
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

Just brought her home from the SPCA. Great Pyrenees cross. Name of
Kaci.

She'd been at the pound 131 days, and is about 13 months old. The
socializing and obedience training begins...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/balderstone/8236646398/in/photostream

Great looking pooch. Congratulations.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 1, 2012 6:39:54 PM UTC-6, Dave Balderstone wrote:
Just brought her home from the SPCA. Great Pyrenees cross. Name of Kaci. She'd been at the pound 131 days, and is about 13 months old. The socializing and obedience training begins... http://www.flickr.com/photos/balderstone/8236646398/in/photostream -- I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because itıs the one thing I can think of that probably doesnıt. * John Gierach

Nice looking puppy. Makes me want to search for another companion.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote in
news:011220121839542183%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca:

Just brought her home from the SPCA. Great Pyrenees cross. Name of

Kaci.

She'd been at the pound 131 days, and is about 13 months old. The
socializing and obedience training begins...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/balderstone/8236646398/in/photostream

That's a fine lookin' pup ya got there!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just brought her home from the SPCA. Great Pyrenees cross. Name of Kaci.

She'd been at the pound 131 days, and is about 13 months old. The
socializing and obedience training begins...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/balderstone/8236646398/in/photostream

Nice... How big is she?

Good luck with her.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Dave Balderstone wrote in
news:011220121839542183%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca:

Just brought her home from the SPCA. Great Pyrenees cross. Name of Kaci.

She'd been at the pound 131 days, and is about 13 months old. The
socializing and obedience training begins...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/balderstone/8236646398/in/photostream

+1!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 02 Dec 2012 01:17:33 GMT, "-Steve-" rendar~at~cheerful~dot~com
wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote in
news:011220121839542183%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalders tone.ca:

Just brought her home from the SPCA. Great Pyrenees cross. Name of

Kaci.

She'd been at the pound 131 days, and is about 13 months old. The
socializing and obedience training begins...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/balderstone/8236646398/in/photostream

That's a fine lookin' pup ya got there!!

Does he always sit on the floor and pet you, Steve?

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 16:45:49 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

Just brought her home from the SPCA. Great Pyrenees cross. Name of
Kaci.

She'd been at the pound 131 days, and is about 13 months old. The
socializing and obedience training begins...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/balderstone/8236646398/in/photostream

Great looking pooch. Congratulations.

Lew

The important thing is to impress on her FROM THE START that YOU are
the "top dog". If she ever gets the drop on you, you are in a heap of
trouble. Pyrennes are GREAT dogs - but VERY strong characters. Nephew
has one -took some real training but now she's great.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , tiredofspam
wrote:

Nice... How big is she?

Haven't weighed her yet. But she's 2 foot + at the shoulder.

Good luck with her.

No luck, I hope. Lots of work, instead.

She's got a great personality but really hasn't been taught what's
expected of her. It's going to be fun. She took me for a 90 minute walk
this evening and one of us was exhausted at the end of it. g

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because itıs the one thing I can think of that probably doesnıt. *
John Gierach

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
wrote:

The important thing is to impress on her FROM THE START that YOU are
the "top dog". If she ever gets the drop on you, you are in a heap of
trouble. Pyrennes are GREAT dogs - but VERY strong characters. Nephew
has one -took some real training but now she's great.

Ayup. She's definitely headstrong, but wants to please. Training will
be good for both of us. Fortunately I know a terrific trainer, just
waiting to find out if she can fit us in.

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because itıs the one thing I can think of that probably doesnıt. *
John Gierach
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , BobS wrote:

Nice chair you got for her....:-)

She can damn near step over it. SWMBO said "she's much bigger in our
house than she was at the shelter!"

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because itıs the one thing I can think of that probably doesnıt. *
John Gierach
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:
Just brought her home from the SPCA. Great Pyrenees cross. Name of
Kaci.

She'd been at the pound 131 days, and is about 13 months old. The
socializing and obedience training begins...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/balderstone/8236646398/in/photostream

That's a great looking doggie so why was she at the pound so long??

PS: pay attention to her socializing and obedience lessons

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote in
news:011220121839542183%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca:

Just brought her home from the SPCA. Great Pyrenees cross. Name of

Kaci.

She'd been at the pound 131 days, and is about 13 months old. The
socializing and obedience training begins...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/balderstone/8236646398/in/photostream

That's a fine lookin' pup ya got there!!

Does he always sit on the floor and pet you, Steve?

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Try to keep up Larry, Dave has the pup not Steve. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , dadiOH
wrote:

That's a great looking doggie so why was she at the pound so long??

She a big dog, and not well trained. No fault of hers. Only one
accident indoors, my fault for not catching her cues. Both of us have
lots to learn.

We're getting along well, 24 hours later, of which about 5 was spent on
walks. Today I got a Halty, which will save these poor old arms from
being ripped out of their sockets.

Big snowfall today, She loves rolling in the fresh powder.

PS: pay attention to her socializing and obedience lessons

Damn straight.

djb

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because itıs the one thing I can think of that probably doesnıt. *
John Gierach
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Martin Eastburn wrote:

Big dogs eat. If you can't afford food for the kid, or yourself, don't
get a dog for free. It is like another kid. Medical and all.

She definitely wasn't free. $238 adoption fee, $15 for a licence, $250
for a crate big enough for her, plus a Halty, bowls, rope tug, bag of
food... BUT: Free vet checkup on Friday, and 6 weeks of pet health
insurance for accident and illness.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Martin Eastburn wrote:

Big dogs eat. If you can't afford food for the kid, or yourself, don't
get a dog for free. It is like another kid. Medical and all.

She definitely wasn't free. $238 adoption fee, $15 for a licence, $250
for a crate big enough for her, plus a Halty, bowls, rope tug, bag of
food... BUT: Free vet checkup on Friday, and 6 weeks of pet health
insurance for accident and illness.

This whole time, I'm seeing the list of replies to this subject line and
I'm thinking,
"Let me see what all this talk is about some new workbench clamping
devices." :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:011220121839542183%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...

Just brought her home from the SPCA. Great Pyrenees cross. Name of Kaci.

She'd been at the pound 131 days, and is about 13 months old. The
socializing and obedience training begins...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/balderstone/8236646398/in/photostream

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance.
Now I
like fishing because itıs the one thing I can think of that probably
doesnıt. *
John Gierach

I like your close up photography. my hobby also. Colorado wild flowers. I
thought you were a wood worker. No saw dust on the floor of your shop (G)
WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
In article
,
Martin Eastburn wrote:

Big dogs eat. If you can't afford food for the kid, or
yourself,
don't get a dog for free. It is like another kid.
Medical and all.

She definitely wasn't free. $238 adoption fee, $15 for a
licence,
$250 for a crate big enough for her, plus a Halty, bowls,
rope tug,
bag of food... BUT: Free vet checkup on Friday, and 6
weeks of pet
health insurance for accident and illness.

This whole time, I'm seeing the list of replies to this
subject line
and I'm thinking,
"Let me see what all this talk is about some new workbench
clamping
devices." :-)

I'm not even going to say what I thought the "Blue Wood"
thread was aboutg

Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1543273 20121203 034518 Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article ,
Martin Eastburn wrote:

Big dogs eat. If you can't afford food for the kid, or yourself, don't
get a dog for free. It is like another kid. Medical and all.

She definitely wasn't free. $238 adoption fee, $15 for a licence, $250
for a crate big enough for her, plus a Halty, bowls, rope tug, bag of
food... BUT: Free vet checkup on Friday, and 6 weeks of pet health
insurance for accident and illness.

It'll be worth every penny.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article ,
Martin Eastburn wrote:

Big dogs eat. If you can't afford food for the kid, or yourself,
don't get a dog for free. It is like another kid. Medical and all.

She definitely wasn't free. $238 adoption fee, $15 for a licence, $250
for a crate big enough for her, plus a Halty, bowls, rope tug, bag of
food... BUT: Free vet checkup on Friday, and 6 weeks of pet health
insurance for accident and illness.

Wow - it's no wonder animals sit in adoption centers for so long with
adoption fees that high.

As for the crate... what self respecting woodworker would not have built his
own? Out of Ipe, or someother suitably nice wood for a new doggie, domino
joinery (good reason to call Leon and order a new Domino...), and a
handrubbed finish, of course.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 07:07:50 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
As for the crate... what self respecting woodworker would not have built his
own? Out of Ipe, or someother suitably nice wood for a new doggie, domino
joinery (good reason to call Leon and order a new Domino...), and a
handrubbed finish, of course.

Know you're joking, but you'd need a metal crate for most dogs. They'd
chew their way out of anything else.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , -MIKE-
wrote:

This whole time, I'm seeing the list of replies to this subject line and
I'm thinking,
"Let me see what all this talk is about some new workbench clamping
devices." :-)

Shop dog, not bench dog. g

Although she'd fit on my bench...

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Mike Marlow
wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article ,
Martin Eastburn wrote:

Big dogs eat. If you can't afford food for the kid, or yourself,
don't get a dog for free. It is like another kid. Medical and all.

She definitely wasn't free. $238 adoption fee, $15 for a licence, $250
for a crate big enough for her, plus a Halty, bowls, rope tug, bag of
food... BUT: Free vet checkup on Friday, and 6 weeks of pet health
insurance for accident and illness.

Wow - it's no wonder animals sit in adoption centers for so long with
adoption fees that high.

As for the crate... what self respecting woodworker would not have built his
own? Out of Ipe, or someother suitably nice wood for a new doggie, domino
joinery (good reason to call Leon and order a new Domino...), and a
handrubbed finish, of course.

A good dog house is on the list. She loves the outdoors. Looking
forward to taking her ice fishing soon.

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Dave
wrote:

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 07:07:50 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
As for the crate... what self respecting woodworker would not have built his
own? Out of Ipe, or someother suitably nice wood for a new doggie, domino
joinery (good reason to call Leon and order a new Domino...), and a
handrubbed finish, of course.

Know you're joking, but you'd need a metal crate for most dogs. They'd
chew their way out of anything else.

A brother had a shepherd/coyote cross. Buck chewed and clawed his way
through a plaster and lath wall. Both sides.

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/2012 8:49 AM, Dave wrote:
On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 07:07:50 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
As for the crate... what self respecting woodworker would not have built his
own? Out of Ipe, or someother suitably nice wood for a new doggie, domino
joinery (good reason to call Leon and order a new Domino...), and a
handrubbed finish, of course.

Know you're joking, but you'd need a metal crate for most dogs. They'd
chew their way out of anything else.

Actually I don't recommend a metal crate.
My dog had one and hated it. He broke a tooth opening it, not the door,
he squeezed his way through the top and sides... he maneuvered it enough.

Anyway most dogs like the close off feel, its secure. The plastic
kennels give them that. Mine preferred it.
I eventually stopped crating him. He doesn't like, or need it.
He's pretty good. Separation anxiety, but he is not spiteful.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/12 1:13 AM, ChairMan wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
This whole time, I'm seeing the list of replies to this
subject line
and I'm thinking,
"Let me see what all this talk is about some new workbench
clamping
devices." :-)

I'm not even going to say what I thought the "Blue Wood"
thread was aboutg

+1

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 10:10:21 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , Dave
wrote:

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 07:07:50 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
As for the crate... what self respecting woodworker would not have built his
own? Out of Ipe, or someother suitably nice wood for a new doggie, domino
joinery (good reason to call Leon and order a new Domino...), and a
handrubbed finish, of course.

Know you're joking, but you'd need a metal crate for most dogs. They'd
chew their way out of anything else.

A brother had a shepherd/coyote cross. Buck chewed and clawed his way
through a plaster and lath wall. Both sides.

I guess "had" was the right word.

P.S: What'd the girl look like when the coyote woke up with his arm
under her?

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, it's my understanding, that most good dogs, with a little patience and training, will soon learn some routine, including what a safe kennel/cage place is, similarly as learning that a mat/bed in a "favorite" spot is a limit to their wanderings.

I once had a golden retriever and black lab and would bring them inside when it got cold and/or on other occassions. They quickly learned their places and limits, when inside. I've seen this with other dogss, as well, so I would expect Kaci to become just as obedient.... after all, she's in good hands.

Speaking of building, but not a cage for indoors, I made this dog house for a friend's shelter dog, that also quickly learned her places and limits when inside:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream
There's been a little chewing on the posts, but I don't mind going visit and repair these.

I'll vote: Kaci and Dave got/will have the best of the adoption deal, all round!

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/2012 12:43 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

That dog looks exactly like my dog.

And I agree, my dog has a few beds around the house. One in the shop
area, and one in my bedroom, and another in the family room. That's
where he goes when we are there or when he wants to rest.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:021220122145183403%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...

In article ,
Martin Eastburn wrote:

Big dogs eat. If you can't afford food for the kid, or yourself, don't
get a dog for free. It is like another kid. Medical and all.

She definitely wasn't free. $238 adoption fee, $15 for a licence, $250
for a crate big enough for her, plus a Halty, bowls, rope tug, bag of
food... BUT: Free vet checkup on Friday, and 6 weeks of pet health
insurance for accident and illness.
At those prices, it is obvious that they rather put them down rather than
find new homes for them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bull****.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/12 7:18 PM, CW wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Big dogs eat. If you can't afford food for the kid, or yourself, don't
get a dog for free. It is like another kid. Medical and all.

She definitely wasn't free. $238 adoption fee, $15 for a licence, $250
for a crate big enough for her, plus a Halty, bowls, rope tug, bag of
food... BUT: Free vet checkup on Friday, and 6 weeks of pet health
insurance for accident and illness.
At those prices, it is obvious that they rather put them down rather
than find new homes for them.

Bull****.
No, not at all.

With all that evidence you presented, how can I argue.

Oh, that's right, I've fostered over 100 animals through shelters,
dealing closely with them, learning the financial strains they are under
and learning about the people they deal with trying to adopt animals who
end up bringing them back, etc, etc, etc.

Now, what were you saying again? Oh that's right... nothing. Just blind
speculation, otherwise know as... hmmm where have I heard this before?
Oh that's tight, bull****.

Thanks for playing.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

================================================= ====================

At those prices, it is obvious that they rather put them down rather than
find new homes for them.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Adoption fee, licensing and yearly
licensing renewal on top of that. Initial supplies ~ all of these
things are revenue makers.

It makes more sense to promote adoption so they can profit from that
revenue stream.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 14:30:23 -0800, "CW" wrote:
She definitely wasn't free. $238 adoption fee, $15 for a licence,
$250 for a crate big enough for her, plus a Halty, bowls, rope tug,
bag of food... BUT: Free vet checkup on Friday, and 6 weeks of pet
health insurance for accident and illness.

At those prices, it is obvious that they rather put them down rather
than find new homes for them.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Adoption fee, licensing and yearly
licensing renewal on top of that. Initial supplies ~ all of these
things are revenue makers.

It makes more sense to promote adoption so they can profit from that
revenue stream.

The price surprised me and seemed like a lot to me, but I don't think it's
very profitable for them. Most adoption services that I am aware of,
operate on a shoestring budget - relying on donations beyond their fees.
The key word being "relying".

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Sonny wrote:

Speaking of building, but not a cage for indoors, I made this dog house for a
friend's shelter dog, that also quickly learned her places and limits when
inside:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream
There's been a little chewing on the posts, but I don't mind going visit and
repair these.

Nice, but impractical in our winters... I'm shooting for at least R40
when I build hers.

But she does love gamboling in the snow.

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
Posted to rec.woodworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Big dogs eat. If you can't afford food for the kid, or yourself, don't
get a dog for free. It is like another kid. Medical and all.

She definitely wasn't free. $238 adoption fee, $15 for a licence, $250
for a crate big enough for her, plus a Halty, bowls, rope tug, bag of
food... BUT: Free vet checkup on Friday, and 6 weeks of pet health
insurance for accident and illness.
At those prices, it is obvious that they rather put them down rather than
find new homes for them.

On the contrary. The shelter here will keep a dog until they are
adopted. They also take animals from other shelters in the province
when those are full.

The only dogs they euthanize are those that have been so abused they
are vicious, without hope of rehabilitation.

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Mike Marlow
wrote:

Dave wrote:
[...]

Maybe it's high compared to some other jurisdictions, but it includes
all shots being up to date, microchipping, a paid vet checkup (we're
going Friday), spay and/or neuter if required, and 6 weeks of pet
health insurance.

Try and do all that for just over $200.