Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Shop Redux (the old shop *is* the new shop) Part 4- MakingSawdust ... once more

On 5/21/2011 4:35 PM, Swingman wrote:

My old shop building (since 2001):

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Shop2.jpg

... succumbed to subsidence in 2008 and the equipment was moved to a
temporary location:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/TempShop0.jpg

I have since remodeled the old building, brought it back to a hopefully
usable life, and the time is nigh to move the equipment back on
premises. While it will be good to get my beloved shop back where I can
walk out the back door on a whim again, the downside is a loss of about
25% shop space from the temporary quarters ... ouch!

In preparation for the move, I've been spending weekends and spare time
endeavoring to make the newly renovated building looking like a shop
again, along with trying to organize it to make best use of limited space.

The first step was to organize some storage space, storage that will
hopefully be more efficient, less prone to leaving things laying about,
and less subject to being sawdust covered in relatively cramped quarters.

Although the cobbler's kid is the last to have shoes, getting a start on
it so far:

... more to come as things develop. Just remember, it's just a shop, not
a high dollar kitchen.

One can't be too rich, too thin, or have too much shop space ... no
worries, I'm none of the above:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...pRetrofit2011#

Moved in, barely room for me, but back to making sawdust ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

One can't be too rich, too thin, or have too much shop space ... no
worries, I'm none of the above:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...pRetrofit2011#

Moved in, barely room for me, but back to making sawdust ...

---------------------
I have certainly worked in small shops before. Yours is a well equipped and
organized small shop. I assume that there is a lot of moving things around
and jockeying for position during an actual project. I also assume that the
garage doors needs to opened for some things. And some projects can find
their way outside when the weather permits.

What I am really wondering is just how clean is your shop when working on a
project? Do you clean as you go, or wait until you can't find anything and
can barely move around?

Any way, it looks really good and well organized. I have a couple shops
myself out of recycled materials. That allows you to do things on a budget.
Kudos for the shop. And kudos for a masterful job of recycling!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/3/2011 1:41 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Swingman" wrote

[...]

Thanks, Lee ... for the most part the current infrastructure is indeed
recycled, from the drawers themselves, down to the door and drawer
hardware, slides and pulls, and tubafours used in construction.

During a project, the shop floor is always a mess with sawdust, shavings
and dust, but I generally put used tools back "where they belong" and
rarely leave anything laying about when closing up at night ... the plus
is that way I know where to look when I need then again.

And since I'm the only one using the place, there is no one else to
blame for any mess AND, it's a damned sight safer to work if you keep
cramped quarters orderly.

Amazing how the upbringing that you rebelled against comes back to haunt
you, eh? That old saw about "a place for everything, and everything in
it's place", was preached, and constantly hammered into my head as a kid.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010