Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Shop Redux (the old shop *is* the new shop) Part 1-Storage Wall

My old shop building (since 2001):

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Shop2.jpg

.... succumbed to subsidence in 2008 and the equipment was moved to a
temporary location:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/TempShop0.jpg

I have since remodeled the old building, brought it back to a hopefully
usable life, and the time is nigh to move the equipment back on
premises. While it will be good to get my beloved shop back where I can
walk out the back door on a whim again, the downside is a loss of about
25% shop space from the temporary quarters ... ouch!

In preparation for the move, I've been spending weekends and spare time
endeavoring to make the newly renovated building looking like a shop
again, along with trying to organize it to make best use of limited space.

The first step was to organize some storage space, storage that will
hopefully be more efficient, less prone to leaving things laying about,
and less subject to being sawdust covered in relatively cramped quarters.

Although the cobbler's kid is the last to have shoes, getting a start on
it so far:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcai...pRetrofit2011#

.... more to come as things develop. Just remember, it's just a shop, not
a high dollar kitchen.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/21/2011 4:35 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Looking good! Why no pictures of the "other side of the shop"? LOL

Concerning the kitchen comment, surely there is a spot in there to place
a Flavia machine in an other wise unused space. And couldn't you set up
an adapter to your router table to power your blender bowl for
Margaritas? ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2011 8:00 AM, Leon wrote:

Looking good! Why no pictures of the "other side of the shop"? LOL

Concerning the kitchen comment, surely there is a spot in there to place
a Flavia machine in an other wise unused space. And couldn't you set up
an adapter to your router table to power your blender bowl for
Margaritas? ;~)

I'm beginning to realize that there will be no room for me ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2011 8:21 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 5/22/2011 8:00 AM, Leon wrote:

Looking good! Why no pictures of the "other side of the shop"? LOL

Concerning the kitchen comment, surely there is a spot in there to place
a Flavia machine in an other wise unused space. And couldn't you set up
an adapter to your router table to power your blender bowl for
Margaritas? ;~)

I'm beginning to realize that there will be no room for me ...

The first time I san the picture with you using the track saw a few days
ago. it took me a while to realize you were "outside the box" in the
sun, rather than inside the "box" under the roof. LOL.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 21 May 2011 16:35:14 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

Looks like it is coming together, but I'm curious, what did you
do for the subsidence?

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2011 8:43 AM, basilisk wrote:

Looks like it is coming together, but I'm curious, what did you
do for the subsidence?

Built up the slab with 3 1/2" of reinforced concrete (which is only a
band aid for a much larger geologic/geo-political problem, and one that
will not last) per engineer specs; diverted the runoff from a new
neighbor's property to the North (which was the biggest culprit) to a
french drain; built up and sloped drainage away from the buildings
foundation; incorporated a "coffer damn" of sorts into the new slab on
the West, North and East ... the South exposure drains fine down a
driveway to the street; added gutters to divert rainwater away for
building into french drain.

These are all just band-aids, but the cumulative effect has been to at
least stop water during extended downpours, where before just a medium
heavy rain of any duration would cause water encroachment on the NW corner.

All bet's are off for the next hurricane, but you can't stop a
determined mother nature.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

On 5/22/2011 8:00 AM, Leon wrote:

Looking good! Why no pictures of the "other side of the shop"? LOL

Concerning the kitchen comment, surely there is a spot in there to place
a Flavia machine in an other wise unused space. And couldn't you set up
an adapter to your router table to power your blender bowl for
Margaritas? ;~)

I'm beginning to realize that there will be no room for me ...

That outside storage area would be a perfect spot for the air compressor.
One thing I hate is when that damn thing goes off when I'm trying to listen
to my favorite radio talk show host.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 22, 5:04*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Swingman wrote:
My old shop building (since 2001):

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Shop2.jpg

Ah yes, the classic 1-1/2 car garage.

Some people know how to play Bach convincingly on a ukelele.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
My old shop building (since 2001):

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Shop2.jpg

Ah yes, the classic 1-1/2 car garage.

Some people know how to play Bach convincingly on a ukelele.

For those who are metaphorically challenged:
You don't need a big shop to create masterpieces... all you need is a
few good tools... oh..and a bit of skill..G
Posted to rec.woodworking

I can't quite tell, but are the doors mdf or plywood
and what sort of hinges are you using ???

They look to be euro types...

More pictures...

Looks great considering where you started from.

On 5/22/2011 9:21 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 5/22/2011 8:00 AM, Leon wrote:

Looking good! Why no pictures of the "other side of the shop"? LOL

Concerning the kitchen comment, surely there is a spot in there to place
a Flavia machine in an other wise unused space. And couldn't you set up
an adapter to your router table to power your blender bowl for
Margaritas? ;~)

I'm beginning to realize that there will be no room for me ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/25/2011 3:54 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

I can't quite tell, but are the doors mdf or plywood

MDF ... from just two sheets I've had leftover from jig and fixture
making and other uses. This is basically a "reclamation" project, as I'm
using as much stored up material, plywood, hinges, drawer slides (even
drawers) etc that I can find on hand ... won't have much place left to
store the stuff, so the method serves a dual purpose.

and what sort of hinges are you using ???
They look to be euro types...

Salice Silentia Soft-Close ... again, overage from a previous cabinet job.

More pictures...

Looks great considering where you started from.

Thanks ... strictly a spare time project evenings and weekends, and one
that is about to wear an old man out working on it alone. Be glad to get
the shop moved so I can take a weekend off ... problem is I have at
least three large custom furniture projects awaiting the new setup, so
that blows that theory all to hell.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

MDF ... from just two sheets I've had leftover from jig and fixture making
and other uses. This is basically a "reclamation" project, as I'm using as
much stored up material, plywood, hinges, drawer slides (even drawers) etc
that I can find on hand ... won't have much place left to store the stuff,
so the method serves a dual purpose.

Yep, A practice I call constructive recycling. I am doing a bit of that
myself these days.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

Be glad to get
the shop moved so I can take a weekend off ... problem is I have at
least three large custom furniture projects awaiting the new setup, so
that blows that theory all to hell.

Happy for you that work is awaiting you!

--
Best regards
Han