Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A new shop dog

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Maybe it's high compared to some other jurisdictions, but it includes
all shots being up to date, microchipping, a paid vet checkup (we're
going Friday), spay and/or neuter if required, and 6 weeks of pet
health insurance.

Try and do all that for just over $200.

I guess it's all in what you're used to. My wife took in kittens for a long
time, under a foster parent program through a local adoption agency. They
reimbursed the foster parents for all food costs (we never took any
reimbursement), provided all of the shots, provided spay and neuter
services, and then adoped out the kittens for free or some foolish fee like
$50 (or something like that). We never got into the dog program - just the
cats.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/4/12 9:55 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Maybe it's high compared to some other jurisdictions, but it includes
all shots being up to date, microchipping, a paid vet checkup (we're
going Friday), spay and/or neuter if required, and 6 weeks of pet
health insurance.

Try and do all that for just over $200.

I guess it's all in what you're used to. My wife took in kittens for a long
time, under a foster parent program through a local adoption agency. They
reimbursed the foster parents for all food costs (we never took any
reimbursement), provided all of the shots, provided spay and neuter
services, and then adoped out the kittens for free or some foolish fee like
$50 (or something like that). We never got into the dog program - just the
cats.

The simple answer is cats are less expensive than dogs.
Shelters generally have cats at 10:1 to dogs. Things like medicine and
microchips are cheaper in bulk. Cat's are much easier/cheaper to
spay/neuter, etc, etc.

Shelters have also found, from experience, a correlation between the
number of returned animals to the expense of the fee for adoption. The
lower the fee, the more likely it is the pet will be returned to them.
Human nature, people don't value what doesn't cost them.

They can weed out a lot of "impulse adopters" by simply charging any
amount to begin with. They can weed out many returns by charging
something higher. Most, as you say, are on a shoe-string budget. In the
spring when cats breed like rabbits :-), you see cheaper adoption fees.
Most shelters who do this are losing money and just hoping they don't
get as many returned, this time around.

Bottom line is, ol' CW was spouting ignorance.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bottom line is, people are going to look at that price and go get a puppy
out of the newspaper for free to $25.00. Say you go to two different car
lots and look at the same car. One of them is priced way higher than the
other. When asked why his price is so high, he says it's to make sure you
really want it. You'd buy the expensive one, right?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/4/2012 12:20 PM, CW wrote:

Bottom line is, people are going to look at that price and go get a
puppy out of the newspaper for free to $25.00. Say you go to two
different car lots and look at the same car. One of them is priced way
higher than the other. When asked why his price is so high, he says it's
to make sure you really want it. You'd buy the expensive one, right?

the free dog from the paper doesn't come with the added amenities (6
weeks health insurance, free vet visit, free spaying/neutering, etc).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message ...

On 12/3/12 7:18 PM, CW wrote:

"-MIKE-" wrote in message ...
On 12/3/12 4:30 PM, CW wrote:

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:021220122145183403%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...

In article ,
Martin Eastburn wrote:

Big dogs eat. If you can't afford food for the kid, or yourself, don't
get a dog for free. It is like another kid. Medical and all.

She definitely wasn't free. $238 adoption fee, $15 for a licence, $250
for a crate big enough for her, plus a Halty, bowls, rope tug, bag of
food... BUT: Free vet checkup on Friday, and 6 weeks of pet health
insurance for accident and illness.
At those prices, it is obvious that they rather put them down rather
than find new homes for them.

Bull****.
No, not at all.

With all that evidence you presented, how can I argue.

Oh, that's right, I've fostered over 100 animals through shelters,
dealing closely with them, learning the financial strains they are under
and learning about the people they deal with trying to adopt animals who
end up bringing them back, etc, etc, etc.
Sounds like a personal problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:

On the contrary. The shelter here will keep a dog until they are
adopted. They also take animals from other shelters in the province
when those are full.

The only dogs they euthanize are those that have been so abused they
are vicious, without hope of rehabilitation.

My kind of place. Is it a national organization? As far as I know there
are no "no kill" shelters here and I'd like to know of one just in case.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , dadiOH
wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:

On the contrary. The shelter here will keep a dog until they are
adopted. They also take animals from other shelters in the province
when those are full.

The only dogs they euthanize are those that have been so abused they
are vicious, without hope of rehabilitation.

My kind of place. Is it a national organization? As far as I know there
are no "no kill" shelters here and I'd like to know of one just in case.

I think they are provincial organizations under the SPCA banner here in
Canuckistan.

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Mike Marlow
wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Maybe it's high compared to some other jurisdictions, but it includes
all shots being up to date, microchipping, a paid vet checkup (we're
going Friday), spay and/or neuter if required, and 6 weeks of pet
health insurance.

Try and do all that for just over $200.

I guess it's all in what you're used to. My wife took in kittens for a long
time, under a foster parent program through a local adoption agency. They
reimbursed the foster parents for all food costs (we never took any
reimbursement), provided all of the shots, provided spay and neuter
services, and then adoped out the kittens for free or some foolish fee like
$50 (or something like that). We never got into the dog program - just the
cats.

The SPCA here does foster placements for dogs that have behavioural
issues to deal with until they get settled enough to be adopted. Not
sure about the cats.

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , CW
wrote:

Bottom line is, people are going to look at that price and go get a puppy
out of the newspaper for free to $25.00. Say you go to two different car
lots and look at the same car. One of them is priced way higher than the
other. When asked why his price is so high, he says it's to make sure you
really want it. You'd buy the expensive one, right?

And yet our SPCA always seems to find homes for the animals they take
in, even with the fees where they are.

That's fact. You have any to support your opinion?

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
Posted to rec.woodworking

Just brought her home from the SPCA. Great Pyrenees cross. Name of Kaci.

She'd been at the pound 131 days, and is about 13 months old. The
socializing and obedience training begins...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/balderstone/8236646398/in/photostream

That, sir, is one handsome critter... the one on the right, I mean.
The other critter is, well, a bit dodgy

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , CW
wrote:

Sounds like a personal problem.

CW, it seems to me that your posts have seen a definite decline in
civility and sense in recent times. Is there an underlying medical
issue we should take into account when we read them?

I'm not being a smartass, I am quite serious.

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 8:51:27 PM UTC-6, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
.... The other critter is, well, a bit dodgy

Probably needs some training.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:051220122052584648%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...

In article , CW
wrote:

Sounds like a personal problem.

CW, it seems to me that your posts have seen a definite decline in
civility and sense in recent times. Is there an underlying medical
issue we should take into account when we read them?

I'm not being a smartass, I am quite serious.

Yes, there actually is but no one should have to take that into
consideration. You're right, I should stay off here for a while. On the
upside, I have my knee replaced Christmas eve. I haven't been this excited
about Christmas since I was a kid. Last step in a year and a half recovery.
Dave, thanks for the concern and the reminder I'm being a pain in the ....

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"CW" wrote in
m:

On the
upside, I have my knee replaced Christmas eve. I haven't been this
excited about Christmas since I was a kid. Last step in a year and a
half recovery. Dave, thanks for the concern and the reminder I'm being
a pain in the ....

Best of luck, and do take the rehabilitation VERY seriously ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/5/2012 9:12 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 8:51:27 PM UTC-6, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
.... The other critter is, well, a bit dodgy

Probably needs some training.

Yep, definitely wouldn't let him on the rugs ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Sounds like a personal problem.

CW, it seems to me that your posts have seen a definite decline in
civility and sense in recent times. Is there an underlying medical
issue we should take into account when we read them?

I'm not being a smartass, I am quite serious.

Yes, there actually is but no one should have to take that into
consideration. You're right, I should stay off here for a while. On the
upside, I have my knee replaced Christmas eve. I haven't been this
excited about Christmas since I was a kid. Last step in a year and a
half recovery. Dave, thanks for the concern and the reminder I'm being a
pain in the ....

Hope you have a recovery as fast as my neighbors. She was home in 3
days and walking around.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Sounds like a personal problem.

CW, it seems to me that your posts have seen a definite decline in
civility and sense in recent times. Is there an underlying medical
issue we should take into account when we read them?

I'm not being a smartass, I am quite serious.

Yes, there actually is but no one should have to take that into
consideration. You're right, I should stay off here for a while. On the
upside, I have my knee replaced Christmas eve. I haven't been this excited
about Christmas since I was a kid. Last step in a year and a half recovery.
Dave, thanks for the concern and the reminder I'm being a pain in the ....

I hope all goes well. Sounds like a great Christmas gift!