Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT -- deer hunting success

Hunting season opened at 7:03 this morning. By 9:00, I was field-dressing a buck. Third year in
a row I've gotten a deer before lunchtime on opening day -- it's nice to be able to hunt private
property after all these years hunting in state forests, along with a hundred thousand other
people. Should wind up with close to a hundred pounds of venison in the freezer.

Life is good.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Doug Miller
wrote:

Hunting season opened at 7:03 this morning. By 9:00, I was field-dressing a
buck. Third year in
a row I've gotten a deer before lunchtime on opening day -- it's nice to be
able to hunt private
property after all these years hunting in state forests, along with a hundred
thousand other
people. Should wind up with close to a hundred pounds of venison in the
freezer.

Life is good.

Way to go, Doug.

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because itıs the one thing I can think of that probably doesnıt. *
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
Hunting season opened at 7:03 this morning. By 9:00, I was
field-dressing a buck. Third year in
a row I've gotten a deer before lunchtime on opening day -- it's nice to
be able to hunt private
property after all these years hunting in state forests, along with a
hundred thousand other
people. Should wind up with close to a hundred pounds of venison in the freezer.

Life is good.

I know a guy who shot one from his bedroom window a few years back.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
Hunting season opened at 7:03 this morning. By 9:00, I was
field-dressing a buck. Third year in a row I've gotten a deer before
lunchtime on opening day -- it's nice to be able to hunt private
property after all these years hunting in state forests, along with a
hundred thousand other people. Should wind up with close to a hundred
pounds of venison in the freezer.

100lbs? Geezus - that must have been a monster buck! Post pics. Most
average NE bucks only yield around 60lbs tops.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:k896hk$hcq$1@dont-
email.me:

Doug Miller wrote:
Hunting season opened at 7:03 this morning. By 9:00, I was
field-dressing a buck. Third year in a row I've gotten a deer before
lunchtime on opening day -- it's nice to be able to hunt private
property after all these years hunting in state forests, along with a
hundred thousand other people. Should wind up with close to a hundred
pounds of venison in the freezer.

100lbs? Geezus - that must have been a monster buck! Post pics. Most
average NE bucks only yield around 60lbs tops.

No monster; by Midwestern standards, it's only medium-sized, even leaning a bit toward the
small side of medium. No pics to post -- it wasn't big enough to bother taking any.

I will say this, though: it's the biggest four-point buck I've ever seen. I was *really* surprised
there wasn't at least one more set of tines on the antlers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
email.me:

Doug Miller wrote:
Hunting season opened at 7:03 this morning. By 9:00, I was
field-dressing a buck. Third year in a row I've gotten a deer before
lunchtime on opening day -- it's nice to be able to hunt private
property after all these years hunting in state forests, along with
a hundred thousand other people. Should wind up with close to a
hundred pounds of venison in the freezer.

100lbs? Geezus - that must have been a monster buck! Post pics.
Most average NE bucks only yield around 60lbs tops.

No monster; by Midwestern standards, it's only medium-sized, even
leaning a bit toward the
small side of medium. No pics to post -- it wasn't big enough to
bother taking any.

I will say this, though: it's the biggest four-point buck I've ever
seen. I was *really* surprised there wasn't at least one more set of
tines on the antlers.

Can't eat the horns anyway. Congratulations! I haven't been out at all
this year, but I do keep an eye on my woods through my den doors - I'm not
worried about being called a redneck for shooting them right off my deck.

Around here the average field dressed buck goes around 130lbs. Yields
around 60lbs of real meat (maybe between 60 and 80lbs), as I said before. A
180lbs buck is a big buck around here. 200lbs is an absolute monster. I've
weighed deer before, but I've never actually weighed the total meat taken
off of them. I've weighed parts of the meat - the amount of hamburger for
example.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

Should wind up with close to a hundred pounds of venison in the
freezer.

Life is good.

Bob Martin wrote:

Not for the deer!

The "Bambi" complex has lead to serious problems in several
suburban areas, especially in the Eastern half of the USA.

"Bambi" has no natural predators in the Eastern USA thus they have
multiplied like rats.

Here in the West, we have mountain lions.

Parklands in the cities have been over run and have become a real
problem.

Farmers OTOH, can get a little relief by opening their lands to
hunters.

Know a couple farmers in Michigan who would be happy if the hunters
shot ALL the "Bambis" on their farms.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Martin wrote:

Not for the deer!

The "Bambi" complex has lead to serious problems in several
suburban areas, especially in the Eastern half of the USA.

"Bambi" has no natural predators in the Eastern USA thus they have
multiplied like rats.

Except for the runaway coyote population

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Martin wrote:

Not for the deer!

The "Bambi" complex has lead to serious problems in several
suburban areas, especially in the Eastern half of the USA.

"Bambi" has no natural predators in the Eastern USA thus they have
multiplied like rats.

Except for the runaway coyote population

Then the coyotes are not doing their job. I believe the number one
cause of auto insurance claims is deer collisions.

You mentioned the Bambi complex. It is difficult to argue with a 6 year
old, when you are on a hike, that Walt Disney is not the ultimate
authority on the life of a deer. Especially when they are aware a
second fawn is following you 10 or 20 feet off of the trail as you try
to take pictures of the mother and her other fawn

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Martin wrote:

Not for the deer!
The "Bambi" complex has lead to serious problems in several
suburban areas, especially in the Eastern half of the USA.

"Bambi" has no natural predators in the Eastern USA thus they have
multiplied like rats.

Except for the runaway coyote population

Then the coyotes are not doing their job. I believe the number one
cause of auto insurance claims is deer collisions.

Nope - they can't keep up with the deer population. They are simply a
natural predator of deer - that's all I stated in response to Lew's comment.

You mentioned the Bambi complex. It is difficult to argue with a 6
year old, when you are on a hike, that Walt Disney is not the ultimate
authority on the life of a deer. Especially when they are aware a
second fawn is following you 10 or 20 feet off of the trail as you try
to take pictures of the mother and her other fawn

I did not mention that - Lew did.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Martin wrote:

Not for the deer!

The "Bambi" complex has lead to serious problems in several
suburban areas, especially in the Eastern half of the USA.

"Bambi" has no natural predators in the Eastern USA thus they have
multiplied like rats.

Here in the West, we have mountain lions.

Parklands in the cities have been over run and have become a real
problem.

Farmers OTOH, can get a little relief by opening their lands to
hunters.

Know a couple farmers in Michigan who would be happy if the hunters
shot ALL the "Bambis" on their farms.

Lew

we (farmers and ranchers) also have the out clause that allows us to
'drop them on site' year round if they are endangering livestock. Yep,
deer endanger my live stock by knocking down fences. So away they go.
--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 01:50:13 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
"Bambi" has no natural predators in the Eastern USA thus they have
multiplied like rats.

Florida Gators and Pythons? Of course, neither can be considered
natural deer predators, but you could export some of Florida's
predators out west to control the deer problem. Once the deer are all
gone, those exported predators should die off pretty quick.

Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1542557 20121118 102733 "Mike Marlow" wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:

Not for the deer!

The "Bambi" complex has lead to serious problems in several
suburban areas, especially in the Eastern half of the USA.

"Bambi" has no natural predators in the Eastern USA thus they have
multiplied like rats.

Except for the runaway coyote population

What about the runaway human population?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:

Not for the deer!
The "Bambi" complex has lead to serious problems in several
suburban areas, especially in the Eastern half of the USA.

"Bambi" has no natural predators in the Eastern USA thus they have
multiplied like rats.

Except for the runaway coyote population

What about the runaway human population?

Seems they are becoming less of a natural predator to the deer population -
except for when they're driving their cars...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Martin wrote:

Not for the deer!
The "Bambi" complex has lead to serious problems in several
suburban areas, especially in the Eastern half of the USA.

"Bambi" has no natural predators in the Eastern USA thus they have
multiplied like rats.

Except for the runaway coyote population

Then the coyotes are not doing their job. I believe the number one
cause of auto insurance claims is deer collisions.

i had a deer hit me a few months ago. small female mule deer just before
sunrise. i saw it out of the corner of my eye coming up out of a ditch
on the side of the road, slammed on my brakes and was dead stopped when
it hit me on my vette's front quarter panel, rolled off the hood, and
kept on going.

You mentioned the Bambi complex. It is difficult to argue with a 6 year
old, when you are on a hike, that Walt Disney is not the ultimate
authority on the life of a deer. Especially when they are aware a
second fawn is following you 10 or 20 feet off of the trail as you try
to take pictures of the mother and her other fawn

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Martin wrote:

Not for the deer!
The "Bambi" complex has lead to serious problems in several
suburban areas, especially in the Eastern half of the USA.

"Bambi" has no natural predators in the Eastern USA thus they have
multiplied like rats.

Except for the runaway coyote population

What about the runaway human population?

If you feel there are too many humans, you know what to do about it....
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Martin wrote:

Not for the deer!
The "Bambi" complex has lead to serious problems in several
suburban areas, especially in the Eastern half of the USA.

"Bambi" has no natural predators in the Eastern USA thus they have
multiplied like rats.

Except for the runaway coyote population

What about the runaway human population?

If you feel there are too many humans, you know what to do about it....

OK, where do you live? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Martin wrote in
:

in 1542621 20121119 213448 Doug Miller
wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in
:

wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:

Not for the deer!
The "Bambi" complex has lead to serious problems in several
suburban areas, especially in the Eastern half of the USA.

"Bambi" has no natural predators in the Eastern USA thus
they have multiplied like rats.

Except for the runaway coyote population

What about the runaway human population?

If you feel there are too many humans, you know what to do about
it....

OK, where do you live? ;-)

That's about what I figured: you think there are too many *other*
humans.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
Hunting season opened at 7:03 this morning. By 9:00, I was
field-dressing a buck. Third year in a row I've gotten a deer before
lunchtime on opening day -- it's nice to be able to hunt private
property after all these years hunting in state forests, along with a
hundred thousand other people. Should wind up with close to a hundred
pounds of venison in the freezer.

Life is good.

From a Dilbert cartoon

Pointy-haired boss (PHB) - "I went hunting over the weekend and shot a
moose."
Secretary: "That doesn't sound like you. What am I missing?"
PHB: "It had a saddle."
Secretary: "And there it is."

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Doug Miller wrote:
Hunting season opened at 7:03 this morning. By 9:00, I was
field-dressing a buck. Third year in a row I've gotten a deer before
lunchtime on opening day -- it's nice to be able to hunt private
property after all these years hunting in state forests, along with a
hundred thousand other people. Should wind up with close to a hundred
pounds of venison in the freezer.

Life is good.

From a Dilbert cartoon

Pointy-haired boss (PHB) - "I went hunting over the weekend and shot a
moose."
Secretary: "That doesn't sound like you. What am I missing?"
PHB: "It had a saddle."
Secretary: "And there it is."

No saddles on mine, just antlers.

Heading out again tomorrow morning at oh-dark-thirty with my son and his SWMBO. 'Bout
time to hit the rack.
Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1542659 20121120 160637 Doug Miller wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in
:

in 1542621 20121119 213448 Doug Miller
wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in
:

wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:

Not for the deer!
The "Bambi" complex has lead to serious problems in several
suburban areas, especially in the Eastern half of the USA.

"Bambi" has no natural predators in the Eastern USA thus
they have multiplied like rats.

Except for the runaway coyote population

What about the runaway human population?

If you feel there are too many humans, you know what to do about
it....

OK, where do you live? ;-)

That's about what I figured: you think there are too many *other*
humans.

Well, I was here before most of them!
World population has tripled since I was born. Can't go on like that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Martin wrote in
:

in 1542659 20121120 160637 Doug Miller
wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in
:

in 1542621 20121119 213448 Doug Miller
wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in
:

What about the runaway human population?

If you feel there are too many humans, you know what to do
about it....

OK, where do you live? ;-)

That's about what I figured: you think there are too many
*other* humans.

Well, I was here before most of them!

So you got yours, and to hell with everyone else, eh?

World population has tripled since I was born. Can't go on like
that.

Another population-control advocate who isn't willing to take the
obvious direct action open to him, but instead wants to limit the
number of *other* people.

Hypocrite.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in

World population has tripled since I was born. Can't go on like
that.

Another population-control advocate who isn't willing to take the
obvious direct action open to him, but instead wants to limit the
number of *other* people.

Hypocrite.

What about the two deer you eliminated? I don't want to stir things up,
but don't the deer have any rights (maybe they were here first)?

Just something to think about...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in

World population has tripled since I was born. Can't go on like
that.

Another population-control advocate who isn't willing to take the
obvious direct action open to him, but instead wants to limit the
number of *other* people.

Hypocrite.

What about the two deer you eliminated? I don't want to stir things
up, but don't the deer have any rights (maybe they were here first)?

Just something to think about...

Doubtful they were here first. They don't live that long. Doug was
definitely here first. Case settled.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 18:43:49 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Just something to think about...

Doubtful they were here first. They don't live that long. Doug was
definitely here first. Case settled.

Maybe he's talking about the Deer Species. In any event, I vote to
eliminate Doug. He certainly has had more of a negative impact on this
earth than *any* deer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1542724 20121121 231709 Doug Miller wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in
:

in 1542659 20121120 160637 Doug Miller
wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in
:

in 1542621 20121119 213448 Doug Miller
wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in
:

What about the runaway human population?

If you feel there are too many humans, you know what to do
about it....

OK, where do you live? ;-)

That's about what I figured: you think there are too many
*other* humans.

Well, I was here before most of them!

So you got yours, and to hell with everyone else, eh?

World population has tripled since I was born. Can't go on like
that.

Another population-control advocate who isn't willing to take the
obvious direct action open to him, but instead wants to limit the
number of *other* people.

Hypocrite.

Moron. Just go on denying that there's a problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in :

Doug Miller wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in

World population has tripled since I was born. Can't go on like
that.

Another population-control advocate who isn't willing to take the
obvious direct action open to him, but instead wants to limit the
number of *other* people.

Hypocrite.

What about the two deer you eliminated? I don't want to stir things up,
but don't the deer have any rights (maybe they were here first)?

Just something to think about...

I'm doing my part to fix Indiana's deer overpopulation problem, and my checkbook
underpopulation problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote in news:3v5ra8tq9j54d0momv52f234ic9ciis06n@
4ax.com:

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 18:43:49 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Just something to think about...

Doubtful they were here first. They don't live that long. Doug was
definitely here first. Case settled.

Maybe he's talking about the Deer Species. In any event, I vote to
eliminate Doug. He certainly has had more of a negative impact on this
earth than *any* deer.

You're welcome to make the attempt, Dave, but I suspect it won't end well for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Martin wrote in :

in 1542724 20121121 231709 Doug Miller

wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in
:

in 1542659 20121120 160637 Doug Miller
wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in
:

in 1542621 20121119 213448 Doug Miller
wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in
:

What about the runaway human population?

If you feel there are too many humans, you know what to do
about it....

OK, where do you live? ;-)

That's about what I figured: you think there are too many
*other* humans.

Well, I was here before most of them!

So you got yours, and to hell with everyone else, eh?

World population has tripled since I was born. Can't go on like
that.

Another population-control advocate who isn't willing to take the
obvious direct action open to him, but instead wants to limit the
number of *other* people.

Hypocrite.

Moron. Just go on denying that there's a problem.

Let me guess: the "problem" exists in areas of the world inhabited by people with darker
skin than yours, right?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:25:36 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
You're welcome to make the attempt, Dave, but I suspect it won't end well for you.

Nah! You'd never see me coming. Who'd suspect someone doing a
wheelchair drive-by?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote in news:iuusa8pi2e7mnnqijuj0ie19cfss9vmm1t@
4ax.com:

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:25:36 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
You're welcome to make the attempt, Dave, but I suspect it won't end well for you.

Nah! You'd never see me coming. Who'd suspect someone doing a
wheelchair drive-by?

You tipped your hand. I'll be looking for it now. g
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 04:36:22 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
Nah! You'd never see me coming. Who'd suspect someone doing a
wheelchair drive-by?

You tipped your hand. I'll be looking for it now. g

I hope I don't read about some hunter knocking off people in
wheelchairs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/21/2012 5:28 PM, Bill wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in

World population has tripled since I was born. Can't go on like
that.

Another population-control advocate who isn't willing to take the
obvious direct action open to him, but instead wants to limit the
number of *other* people.

Hypocrite.

What about the two deer you eliminated? I don't want to stir things up,
but don't the deer have any rights (maybe they were here first)?

No kidding Bill, I was just reading over the "deer" bill of rights.....

You should see the bill the mosquito's.

Oh and that beef and chicken you eat...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/23/2012 8:23 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/21/2012 5:28 PM, Bill wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in

World population has tripled since I was born. Can't go on like
that.

Another population-control advocate who isn't willing to take the
obvious direct action open to him, but instead wants to limit the
number of *other* people.

Hypocrite.

What about the two deer you eliminated? I don't want to stir things up,
but don't the deer have any rights (maybe they were here first)?

No kidding Bill, I was just reading over the "deer" bill of rights.....

You should see the bill the mosquito's.

Oh and that beef and chicken you eat...

I can send a -pile-, er testing sample of the recycled turkey I ate
yesterday to any lawyer who wants to file a class action on behalf of
the Turkey Bill of Rights ... but they'll have to hurry.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

On 11/23/2012 8:23 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/21/2012 5:28 PM, Bill wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in

World population has tripled since I was born. Can't go on like
that.

Another population-control advocate who isn't willing to take the
obvious direct action open to him, but instead wants to limit the
number of *other* people.

Hypocrite.

What about the two deer you eliminated? I don't want to stir things up,
but don't the deer have any rights (maybe they were here first)?

No kidding Bill, I was just reading over the "deer" bill of rights.....

You should see the bill the mosquito's.

Oh and that beef and chicken you eat...

I can send a -pile-, er testing sample of the recycled turkey I ate
yesterday to any lawyer who wants to file a class action on behalf of
the Turkey Bill of Rights ... but they'll have to hurry.

What? You can't save it?

Dave in Texas

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 08:23:37 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 11/21/2012 5:28 PM, Bill wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in

World population has tripled since I was born. Can't go on like
that.

Another population-control advocate who isn't willing to take the
obvious direct action open to him, but instead wants to limit the
number of *other* people.

Hypocrite.

What about the two deer you eliminated? I don't want to stir things up,
but don't the deer have any rights (maybe they were here first)?

No kidding Bill, I was just reading over the "deer" bill of rights.....

You should see the bill the mosquito's.

Oh and that beef and chicken you eat...

I was listening to a talk show show Wed. and they we're deep frying
turkeys to aution off for charity. The guy who was cooking had his 13
& 14 year old daughters there who had raised them. The host asked
them if it bothered them to see them getting offed and cooked. They
just giggled and said nah tastes too good. I'd much rather eat an
animal raised the whole time on the farm then one that's been through
a feed lot. I've got sympathy for animals that go thru that process.
Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 11/21/2012 5:28 PM, Bill wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
Bob Martin wrote in

World population has tripled since I was born. Can't go on like
that.

Another population-control advocate who isn't willing to take the
obvious direct action open to him, but instead wants to limit the
number of *other* people.

Hypocrite.

What about the two deer you eliminated? I don't want to stir things up,
but don't the deer have any rights (maybe they were here first)?

No kidding Bill, I was just reading over the "deer" bill of rights.....

Yes, it has been observed that when things come down to choices for
people or for nature, nature usually loses--just look out your window
and imagine how it looked 100 years ago.

I have heard that Cows has a pretty good bill of rights plan in India.
If someone would like to set up something here to protect some deer, I
wouldn't object. From what I have heard, the native americans had alot
respect for nature--but we kicked them the hell off *our* property! I'm
sure not before a lot of soul-searching though.

Was the hide of the two eliminated deer discarded as a matter of
convenience? We are a wasteful lot.

You should see the bill the mosquito's.

Oh and that beef and chicken you eat...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote in news:1a2ua8t8hm198fdqb71f2olh9p3h1l5ntn@
4ax.com:

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 04:36:22 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
Nah! You'd never see me coming. Who'd suspect someone doing a
wheelchair drive-by?

You tipped your hand. I'll be looking for it now. g

I hope I don't read about some hunter knocking off people in
wheelchairs.

As long as you don't go out in the woods dressed up as a deer you'll be ok.

New Zealand deer, er, dear HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 35 November 30th 10 04:23 PM
OT goofy deer Karl Townsend Metalworking 5 March 28th 09 01:38 PM
hello deer TRMF4445 Metalworking 2 March 20th 08 01:19 PM
Deer antler alysonsdad Woodturning 18 December 28th 05 02:55 PM
Window Cracked by Deer BroJack Home Repair 8 June 22nd 04 04:07 AM