Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
alysonsdad

Default Deer antler

Trying to turn a couple of pens for a hunter friend. Any suggestions
would be helpful and appreciated. It is not very white, can that be
fixed?

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brad Curfman

alysonsdad wrote:
Trying to turn a couple of pens for a hunter friend. Any suggestions
would be helpful and appreciated. It is not very white, can that be
fixed?

Thanks

I just tried to turn some last night for a pen for my brother in law. He
sent me a full set of antlers that weren't very white and they had a lot
of small growths on them. I'm not an expert by any means on antlers, but
I do know that the ones I have let off a highly putrid smell. After
trying to cut off two pieces at the bandsaw, I felt like I would vomit,
so I called it a night.

I'm going to throw away the antlers I have. I've seen Dave Hout turn an
antler keychain on his woodturning show, and he didn't mention a foul
odor from the antler. Maybe it was just the set I have, but I won't be
looking to turn deer antler anytime soon.

I guess this post isn't much help to you, but it is something to think
about. I need to scrub the inside of my bandsaw now.

--
Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
no(SPAM)vasys

Brad Curfman wrote:

I just tried to turn some last night for a pen for my brother in law. He
sent me a full set of antlers that weren't very white and they had a lot
of small growths on them. I'm not an expert by any means on antlers, but
I do know that the ones I have let off a highly putrid smell. After
trying to cut off two pieces at the bandsaw, I felt like I would vomit,
so I called it a night.

I'm going to throw away the antlers I have. I've seen Dave Hout turn an
antler keychain on his woodturning show, and he didn't mention a foul
odor from the antler. Maybe it was just the set I have, but I won't be
looking to turn deer antler anytime soon.

I guess this post isn't much help to you, but it is something to think
about. I need to scrub the inside of my bandsaw now.

There's nothing wrong with the antler you have. It really smells when
it is worked.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Brad Curfman wrote:

alysonsdad wrote:
[...]

Folks, antler is Organic. Organic stuff is going to smell when it gets
cut at high speed.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Alysonsdad
I hope you have good ventilation. Everything we turn has a smell and antler
is worse than most. Actually it is the worst of anything I have turned but I
am willing to be educated if not looking forward to it. You know that smell
when the dentist is drillieng a tooth. Think times 10 with burning added.
Other than that, turn with the lathe fast, use sharp tools and take your
time. If the antler seems soft in places, and it well may, a bit of CA
soaked in works wonders. There will be a lot of color variation and very
little of it is actually white.
Hope it helps.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 19:41:57 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

Alysonsdad
I hope you have good ventilation. Everything we turn has a smell and antler
is worse than most. Actually it is the worst of anything I have turned but I
am willing to be educated if not looking forward to it. You know that smell
when the dentist is drillieng a tooth. Think times 10 with burning added.
Other than that, turn with the lathe fast, use sharp tools and take your
time. If the antler seems soft in places, and it well may, a bit of CA
soaked in works wonders. There will be a lot of color variation and very
little of it is actually white.
Hope it helps.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Darrell, you are one savvy cuss....Really like your website and
willingness to share what you have learned with everyone else. I've
taken a few of your hints and saved myself a boat load of time.
sooooo, maybe you know someothing about the lamination process. You
know the multi colored pepper mills ??? how do I go about doing that?
is it just a process of ripping enough colored woods and then stacking
them against each other and then leaning them in one direction when
they are gilued ..or what???

Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article 98Zpf.13514$wg4.573@edtnps84,
"Darrell Feltmate" wrote:

I hope you have good ventilation. Everything we turn has a smell and antler
is worse than most. Actually it is the worst of anything I have turned but I
am willing to be educated if not looking forward to it. You know that smell
when the dentist is drillieng a tooth. Think times 10 with burning added.
Other than that, turn with the lathe fast, use sharp tools and take your
time. If the antler seems soft in places, and it well may, a bit of CA
soaked in works wonders. There will be a lot of color variation and very
little of it is actually white.

Though I've never turned antler, I've turned bone (presumably beef) and
fossilized walrus tusk. The smells are the same - dentist drilling on
your own tooth. I don't notice it much when turning - only when
bandsawing - my wife commented the other day, though, when she came
down to the turnery. Maybe the ol'Cocobolo dust has killed my smell
sensitivity...

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Eric
The angled lamination is not my thing these days but I have done it for a
cutting board or two. For an example, consider two types of wood, say maple
and walnut. Assume you want a 3" square blank and your wood is 1/2" thick.
Cut strips the thickness of the desired blanks, 3", and glue them up in
alternating bands, m-w-m-w-m-w. 6 strips at 1/2" give a 3" square. Cut a
diagonal from the upper right corner of strip #3 to the bottom right corner
of strip 1. Take this triangle and glue it without rotation to the right of
the original glue-up. Square up top and bottom and you have a diagonal lined
square. I hope this is not too confusing. If you draw it out it helps. You
get some neat patterns by using more kinds of woods and arbitrarily deciding
on the top and bottom points of the diagonal cut.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Deer antler is indeed smelly, but if you have dust colection it will
pick up most of it. Anyway, I've used antler for pens & also for the
points & nut on a mandolin. Since it's an organic material it won't be
as white as plastic (even elephant tusk isn't quite white-- guess
that's why they call it ivory) -- I suppose you could try some bleach--
I like the natural look, so never have. Might work to some extent
though. Be sure to nuteralize the bleach after. HTHs
Phil

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brad Curfman

Lobby Dosser wrote:

Folks, antler is Organic. Organic stuff is going to smell when it gets
cut at high speed.

I guess I might try to turn these after all if the smell isn't as bad
when turning as it is when sawing at high speed.

--
Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
SHOOTER1

"alysonsdad" wrote in message
oups.com...
Trying to turn a couple of pens for a hunter friend. Any suggestions
would be helpful and appreciated. It is not very white, can that be
fixed?

Thanks

Try using older antler. I have been turning some from some shed antlers
that are about 4 yrs old and I had no odor problem at all. If they are off
the deer, elk, etc for less than 60 days they are considered green and have
quite a bit of moisture content, even though they seem dry. Experiment.
Let them set for a few weeks, months, whatever. HTH.
Nic

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Deer antler... Phew!

I agree with Nic. If you must turn antler, let them set for 52 years and
7 months buried in the back yard before turning. Interesting however,
that neiher the buck nor the bull moose wanted to keep them.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Teeth and horns are modified hair follicles which is why,
if you think about it, smell like burning hair when you
get them hot - as in grinding on them at 30K rpms with
a dental bur or bandsawing them at 1K fpm. Because
they're modified hair follicles they each have a nerve or
several nerves - the removal of which, in the case of
a tooth, is called a root canal.

Antlers - I'm not sure about. But given that a lot
of energy is spent on them, they're only good for one
"season" and mainly are for attracting females
to mate with - rather than "horny", shouldn't
it be called "antlery"?

(To the Intelligent Design proponents:
Other than enabling Endodontist to purchase expensive
cars, houses etc., why'd THE Intelligent Designer
a) make teeth with nerves in them?
b) make teeth that typically don't last a lifetime?
Wasn't it obvious that the "design life' of
humans would increase over time as we
figured out how to use all that gray matter
provided in our "design"?
c) put hair on human male heads that often only
last 30 to 40 years. Did The Intelligent Designer
leave it to us to figure out how to make
hats from other animals' hides or fur
to keep our heads warm - or from baking?
c) have the sex drive kick in before the development
of at least the basics understanding of cause
and effect (sic hoc, ergo propter hoc)?

charlie b
who tends to go off on tangents - even with
woodworking projects
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"charlie b" wrote in message
Teeth and horns are modified hair follicles which is why,
if you think about it, smell like burning hair when you
get them hot - as in grinding on them at 30K rpms with
a dental bur or bandsawing them at 1K fpm. Because
they're modified hair follicles they each have a nerve or
several nerves - the removal of which, in the case of
a tooth, is called a root canal.

Antlers - I'm not sure about.

Bone.

An intelligent design conceals its secrets from the unthinking.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:55:48 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

Not to presume to speak for the Almighty, but having perhaps a
smattering of (increasingly UN-)common sense which He, in His
benevolence, blessed me with, let me see if I can help you over the
bumpy spots:

a) make teeth with nerves in them?

So we know when there's a problem and don't just keep chomping away,
letting infection spreading through our body, killing us.

b) make teeth that typically don't last a lifetime?

Whose lifetime are you talking about? I know 90-year-olds with their
natural teeth. IT'S CALLED A TOOTH BRUSH.

Wasn't it obvious that the "design life' of
humans would increase over time as we
figured out how to use all that gray matter
provided in our "design"?

Apparently some of us have a little difficulty getting it fired up
before we hit the "Enter" key. (See c1 and c2, below...)

c) put hair on human male heads that often only
last 30 to 40 years. Did The Intelligent Designer
leave it to us to figure out how to make
hats from other animals' hides or fur
to keep our heads warm - or from baking?

Yeah, it's called "genetics." Maybe you've heard of it?
Once again, that rare gift called "common sense" kicks in...or
doesn't, and we reap the benefits or suffer with the consequences.

c) have the sex drive kick in before the development
of at least the basics understanding of cause
and effect (sic hoc, ergo propter hoc)?

And those would be called "Parents." I'm sure you remember them.
They're the ones who _should_ have taught you what to do, who and when
to do it with. They might even have had some things to say about at
least the rudiments of respect for other people's beliefs, too, but
maybe you weren't listening.

Hey, but who know's maybe I'm wrong, and we're just a big, cosmic
accident. Well, you anyhow.

But then again....maybe I'm not. See, the funny thing about that is,
_you_ are the only one who will have to suffer the consequences if you
make the wrong choice.

BTW, there's this verse some of us are familiar with. Maybe it will
help you some time: "Be not deceived; God is not mocked..."

charlie b
who tends to go off on tangents - even with
woodworking projects

Well Charlie, for your sake, I hope you don't choose wrong and go off
on the ultimate tangent.

Chuck - Who seldom rises to the bait of trolls, but some things just
gotta be done

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

George wrote:

An intelligent design conceals its secrets from the unthinking.

And reveals itself to the "religous" / "faithful" - "thinkers"?
There's an oxymron in there somewhere.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Antler is really easy to turn. I always stabilize it with thin CA glue
before turning. It will soak down into the weak and unstable parts of
the antler. It does indeed smell bad when turning. Off-white can be
rather pretty if it is accented. Antler is coarse and is often pitted.
I have a couple of old stainless steel bushings. I put those on the
mandrel and using a fine sandpaper (240 or higher), I sand lightly
(very little sanding is needed) and with the dust on the sandpaper,
touch up the antlers. It fills in the small pits with silver. The
effect is nice and everyone that sees it have said that they love the
accent. I then finish as normal. Use this if you would like and ignore
it if you wish.

MHR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:55:48 -0800, charlie b wrote:

I'm not, but this looks like fun:
(To the Intelligent Design proponents:
Other than enabling Endodontist to purchase expensive
cars, houses etc., why'd THE Intelligent Designer

a) make teeth with nerves in them?

SO you know when you've bitten off more than you can chew?

b) make teeth that typically don't last a lifetime?

They did once.. we're just living longer.... and don't have room for "wisdom
teeth" any more...
My personal theory, and just a WAG, is that they were designed as "replacement
molars" for the time in life that your OEM equipment had word down due to the
amount of sand and grit on your food..

Wasn't it obvious that the "design life' of
humans would increase over time as we
figured out how to use all that gray matter
provided in our "design"?

It's my personal observation, after almost 60 years of study, that most of us
are WAY short of the 50% mark there...

c) put hair on human male heads that often only last 30 to 40 years. Did The Intelligent Designer
leave it to us to figure out how to make hats from other animals' hides or fur
to keep our heads warm - or from baking?

Anticipated life span again... I'd think that most animals, our job is to
reproduce and then get out of the way of the next generation... but we're living
past that now..

c) have the sex drive kick in before the development of at least the basics understanding of cause
and effect (sic hoc, ergo propter hoc)?

Again, I'd guess we're designed to go about 30 years at best, if we avoid dino
feet, etc... cats and dogs can ( and will, if not spayed) breed when they're
very young... to keep the species going..
Again, just a guess, but if you're designed to go 30 years before you're out of
warranty, why bother being sexy and wanting to mate after your projected check
out time...

Want proof that mother nature has a sense of humor??
Why else would a man reach his sexual peak at 18 and a woman at 32??? lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg Darling

Yes, deer antler does stink when cutting. Instead of throwing your antler
away, you can send it to me.

antler dust?? Monya Woodturning 10 November 6th 05 12:11 AM
Thoughts Ghodges2 Woodturning 53 November 21st 04 08:52 AM
Window Cracked by Deer BroJack Home Repair 8 June 22nd 04 05:07 AM
John Deer Tractor lift handle repair Don Metalworking 6 April 21st 04 05:27 AM
Not really Home repair: Repairing cracked horn (antler) handles Bob Landry Home Repair 2 February 19th 04 04:24 AM