BroJack

Default Window Cracked by Deer

It's an Anderson casement set consisting of three double-paned
windows. A deer charged it, and now one of the panes has an 18-inch
vertical crack.

Can a glass company merely replace the one pain, or does the fact that
it's a double paned window complicate matters? Does the entire set
need to be replaced? TIA, Jack
Tony Hwang

BroJack wrote:

It's an Anderson casement set consisting of three double-paned
windows. A deer charged it, and now one of the panes has an 18-inch
vertical crack.

Can a glass company merely replace the one pain, or does the fact that
it's a double paned window complicate matters? Does the entire set
need to be replaced? TIA, Jack

Hi,
Unless it's Argon gas filled one, they can repair it.
They did it once on my double pane Pella unit at my old house.
Tony

m Ransley

Anderson low E argon is not the same as other companys Low E argon. Nor
is a repair. You may actualy see a difference in quality. I had a
custom tripane made by a unknown. its crap. Pella condense faster than
anderson. get an anderson replacement or you may find flaws.

Joseph Meehan

BroJack wrote:
It's an Anderson casement set consisting of three double-paned
windows. A deer charged it, and now one of the panes has an 18-inch
vertical crack.

Can a glass company merely replace the one pain, or does the fact that
it's a double paned window complicate matters? Does the entire set
need to be replaced? TIA, Jack

I suggest a replacement not an attempted repair, even if someone offers
to try. The difference in cost, if any, is just not worth it. Replacement
sets are not all that expensive. As noted you do want to get one with the
same technology as the one you had or you may well see the difference. A
good glass supplier will be able to handle that.

BTW have you checked your home owner's insurance for deer damage? It
may be covered. It also may be covered by a window warrantee.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Bro Jack

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 19:42:15 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

BroJack wrote:
It's an Anderson casement set consisting of three double-paned
windows. A deer charged it, and now one of the panes has an 18-inch
vertical crack.

Can a glass company merely replace the one pain, or does the fact that
it's a double paned window complicate matters? Does the entire set
need to be replaced? TIA, Jack

I suggest a replacement not an attempted repair, even if someone offers
to try. The difference in cost, if any, is just not worth it. Replacement
sets are not all that expensive. As noted you do want to get one with the
same technology as the one you had or you may well see the difference. A
good glass supplier will be able to handle that.

OK, and thanks to all for responding.

BTW have you checked your home owner's insurance for deer damage? It
may be covered. It also may be covered by a window warrantee.

Nationwide would raise the premium. Last year, the hurricane knocked
down five big trees. Big mess to clean up. The agent talked me out
of filing these "small" claims as the premium would go up and wouldn't
be worth it in the long run.

Jack

jriegle

When our Anderson fogged up, we had to get a new insulated unit from them.
It has a proprietary molding that is part of the insulated unit, cost was
$270! I was a bit disappointed when it came. They went cheap and used single
strength glass. The original was double strength. It is 18x72 inches. Kind
of a large span for such thin material. I use single strength glazing for
picture framing and it seems very flimsy at over 36" on the longest side.

Outside of this, these 25 year old windows have been very good. Only one
unit has fogged so far.

John

"BroJack" wrote in message
news.com...
It's an Anderson casement set consisting of three double-paned
windows. A deer charged it, and now one of the panes has an 18-inch
vertical crack.

Can a glass company merely replace the one pain, or does the fact that
it's a double paned window complicate matters? Does the entire set
need to be replaced? TIA, Jack

James Nipper

Default Window Cracked by Deer/ Now Anderson or Hurd ?

My contractor says that for many years, Anderson made the best. He says
their quality went down noticeably. Now he swears by Hurd Windows. He
says their warranty and service can't be beat .

Anyone with experience, that can compare the two please ??

Thanks !!

--James--