Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Oh, Lee Valley... REALLY?

I've been asked to submit a proposal for a seminar on building Cigar
Box Guitars at our local Lee Valley store.

But apparently we're not allowed to use the word "cigar" in advertising
or describing the session. Are Lee Valley's customers too stupid to
understand that the store doesn't sell tobacco products?

This is politically correct insanity! Robin, you should be ashamed of
yourself.

But in that vein... When are you going to stop selling your "cigar box
lock", and your "Twist (Cigar) Pen Hardware", vis:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41419,41455

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...50,43243,53758,
53435

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...50,43243,53758
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:
I've been asked to submit a proposal for a seminar on building Cigar
Box Guitars at our local Lee Valley store.

But apparently we're not allowed to use the word "cigar" in
advertising or describing the session. Are Lee Valley's customers too
stupid to understand that the store doesn't sell tobacco products?

This is politically correct insanity! Robin, you should be ashamed of
yourself.

But in that vein... When are you going to stop selling your "cigar
box lock", and your "Twist (Cigar) Pen Hardware", vis:

Welcome to the world of Politically Correct crap Dave.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Mike Marlow
wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:
I've been asked to submit a proposal for a seminar on building Cigar
Box Guitars at our local Lee Valley store.

But apparently we're not allowed to use the word "cigar" in
advertising or describing the session. Are Lee Valley's customers too
stupid to understand that the store doesn't sell tobacco products?

This is politically correct insanity! Robin, you should be ashamed of
yourself.

But in that vein... When are you going to stop selling your "cigar
box lock", and your "Twist (Cigar) Pen Hardware", vis:

Welcome to the world of Politically Correct crap Dave.

I had thought better of Robin Lee...

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Mike Marlow
wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:
I've been asked to submit a proposal for a seminar on building Cigar
Box Guitars at our local Lee Valley store.

But apparently we're not allowed to use the word "cigar" in
advertising or describing the session. Are Lee Valley's customers too
stupid to understand that the store doesn't sell tobacco products?

This is politically correct insanity! Robin, you should be ashamed of
yourself.

But in that vein... When are you going to stop selling your "cigar
box lock", and your "Twist (Cigar) Pen Hardware", vis:

Welcome to the world of Politically Correct crap Dave.

I had thought better of Robin Lee...

Me too, but it won't stop me from shopping there. :-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , FrozenNorth

In article , Mike Marlow
wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:
I've been asked to submit a proposal for a seminar on building Cigar
Box Guitars at our local Lee Valley store.

But apparently we're not allowed to use the word "cigar" in
advertising or describing the session. Are Lee Valley's customers too
stupid to understand that the store doesn't sell tobacco products?

This is politically correct insanity! Robin, you should be ashamed of
yourself.

But in that vein... When are you going to stop selling your "cigar
box lock", and your "Twist (Cigar) Pen Hardware", vis:

Welcome to the world of Politically Correct crap Dave.

I had thought better of Robin Lee...

Me too, but it won't stop me from shopping there. :-)

SWMBO suggests I should pass out cigars at the beginning of the
seminar. chuckle

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 19:12:35 -0600, Dave Balderstone
Welcome to the world of Politically Correct crap Dave.

I had thought better of Robin Lee...

Email him directly and make an attempt to discuss it with him. If I
were him, I wouldn't try to discuss it with you in an open forum
either.

Did you actually try to talk to him directly? If not, maybe the
response you got was from a manager or something.

And, just because he's the final word when it come to operating Lee
Valley Tools, doesn't mean he and LV are immune to all that "sensitive
political crap" that goes on these days. He has a business to run,
employees to keep working and so much more on his plate than you or I
will ever know.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:
I've been asked to submit a proposal for a seminar on building Cigar
Box Guitars at our local Lee Valley store.

But apparently we're not allowed to use the word "cigar" in
advertising or describing the session. Are Lee Valley's customers too
stupid to understand that the store doesn't sell tobacco products?

This is politically correct insanity! Robin, you should be ashamed of
yourself.

Well, hell, call it something else:
1. The non-abortion woodworking project,
2. Make a banjo like the coloreds did,
3. Wetback violin
4. What women are not allowed to play or male-only seminar
5. "... and you can hide your stash inside!"
and so on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/6/2012 7:17 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote:
I've been asked to submit a proposal for a seminar on building Cigar
Box Guitars at our local Lee Valley store.

But apparently we're not allowed to use the word "cigar" in
advertising or describing the session. Are Lee Valley's customers too
stupid to understand that the store doesn't sell tobacco products?

Call it a "Seegar" box guitar and, if anyone inquires, tell them the
truth or explain that it is "well-known" that the instrument was named
after Mr. Smokey Seegar.

The description of the seminar ought to resolve any mystery--you could
adequately describe Mr. Seegar's work. I suspect the group would enjoy
assisting you with this!

This is politically correct insanity! Robin, you should be ashamed of
yourself.

Well, hell, call it something else:
1. The non-abortion woodworking project,
2. Make a banjo like the coloreds did,
3. Wetback violin
4. What women are not allowed to play or male-only seminar
5. "... and you can hide your stash inside!"
and so on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Bill
wrote:

Call it a "Seegar" box guitar and, if anyone inquires, tell them the
truth or explain that it is "well-known" that the instrument was named
after Mr. Smokey Seegar.

The description of the seminar ought to resolve any mystery--you could
adequately describe Mr. Seegar's work. I suspect the group would enjoy
assisting you with this!

I suspect you're right...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Dave
wrote:

If I
were him, I wouldn't try to discuss it with you in an open forum
either.

Robin used to be a regular here... And had no problem jumping in to any
discussion.

--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 08:08:28 -0600, Dave Balderstone
Robin used to be a regular here... And had no problem jumping in to any
discussion.

I do see the occasional comment from him in other forums, so I suspect
he might still be reading what goes on here. But, considering the
amount of OT dialogue, I could well be mistaken.

But still, why not email him privately? You've jumped on him without
his involvement. Robin has always been a reasonable guy as far as I've
seen. At the very least he should be given the opportunity to respond
to you in a cordial manner.

Lee Valley Robatoy[_2_] Woodworking 31 September 28th 10 05:09 AM
Lee valley Lowell Holmes Woodworking 15 September 5th 08 05:12 PM
Lee Valley Phil Hansen Woodworking 18 September 6th 06 06:51 PM
Lee Valley Joe Woodworking 26 April 12th 06 04:50 AM
Thanks, Lee Valley! Prometheus Woodworking 9 November 2nd 04 02:50 PM