Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ot technology:

Casper presented the following explanation :
I understood your point. Merely clarifying mine so as not to offend
anyone. It's easy on the net for conversations to be misunderstood.

I guess my point was more of a question. Do you need compelling
arguments to look at something and experience it for yourself?
Casper

Fair question. I guess that the answer is "Yes" - or at least to some
degree. Years ago I would have looked at new stuff with an interest. These
days - not so much. I guess it's part of getting older and settled in.
Today, I guess I need to understand at the very least - a reason for a
change. Part of that may be old folks syndrome. It's what I remember from
my youth, and now find myself embracing. Someone has to tell me why the
newest whizbang is better or different or whatever... than what I am using
now and works for me. You know - when you get old you simply know that all
of these promises have exsited for time eternal, and very few of them have
ever proven themselves out - you just simply know it... because you're
older... and we all know how important that is...
Mike Marlow

I do to some degree as well. My personal philosophy stems from that
old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"... unless ... can it
improve something for me? Is it worth it??

Maybe I just don't perceive as much as 'change'. I look at new tech
when it is shown to me or something I am actively seeking, which is
infrequent. I consider how it may better assist me, cost to me (not
just flat price) and do I ultimately need it.

I consider opinions and reviews but with a grain of salt (have to keep
an eye out for horder-views .. lol). I either reach a positive
conclusion and buy it, a negative one and don't, or, if it takes too
long to decide, then I probably don't need it.

My husband has bought me things that I have returned to the store
(yes, I am a weird one and he has been unhappy about it), but if I
don't need it or we're better off with the cash, then I can't justify
keeping it. I guess I am frugal. Then again, I did pass the half a
century mark already. Is that still old? ;-)

No I don't think so, then I can't remeber 28 years back. ;-)

--
John G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:20:44 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

On 8/29/12 2:42 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/29/2012 11:45 AM, Casper wrote:
I walk right past the sequin-coated iphone covers and would run away
from a sequin-covered festool. I saw a derringer once where the grip
was diamonds in lucite. I had one thought ... why?

LOL Steve Jobs, famous for his minimalistic approach to design, as well
as Jon Ives, his favorite designer, is undoubtedly spinning in his grave
to hear the term "bling" in the same breath with "iPad".

Same goes for Festool products ... both manufacturers are well known for
a functional-to-a-fault design approach, resulting in a minimalist
design where anything not absolutely functional is hard to find on any
of their products.

I think people just equate "bling" with expensive.
Fact is, no one has come out with tools that work as well as Festool for
a cheaper price.
Maybe "bling" means, this is what quality and functionality
second-to-none costs.

Gee, and I thought "bling" was useless shiny baubles added for no good reason
other than to catch the eye.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:11:59 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Casper wrote:

[...]

I want to understand what the new technology is going to do for me that isn't
already covered, better. I really don't want to spend $600 on a toy that I
won't use, when that $600 could buy another Festool. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:10:59 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Sure don't like hearing that I am some sort of phobic, or
that I am somehow a lesser person simply because I do not jump to embrace
all of these new (not so valuable) things. I sometimes wonder what people
actually do look when they make decisions on new technologies.

Yeah, but you've left a whole lot out with that reply. The truth is
that you've been asking questions about Festool products for some time
now. Over and over again, several of us have given our views and
ultimately end up telling you to go find out for yourself. You won't
take that first step.

Here's how I'm seeing you. Please don't be offended.

You're that sorta shy kid in school who has been eyeing some girl who
is in several of his classes. You won't/can't/haven't yet gotten up
the nerve to go and really talk to her. She's nice to look at, is
popular and she laughs a lot. But, she's always surrounded by other
people paying attention to her and that bothers you.

A number of your buddies say she's nice. She's easy to talk to and
that you'd probably like her. But, you still watch her from a distance
all the while asking the occasional surreptitious question about her
but still trying to appear not all that interested.

Go talk to this girl Mike. It might be the start of a great
relationship. All that can happen is that it won't work out. Believe
me, as a former shy kid, a long, long time ago, the wondering and the
failure to act is way more painful than the trying and not succeeding
will ever be.

Gosh, you've drawn my interet. Do you have any pictures of this girl?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:23:09 -0400, Bill wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Hmm.. Maybe it would be fun to list products with bling for
clarification, I'll try to start:

A Rolex Watch
A Coach purse

OK, but I don't see the correlation between Rolex and Apple. That you do,
says as much about you than it does those who you talk about.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:10:59 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Sure don't like hearing that I am some sort of phobic, or
that I am somehow a lesser person simply because I do not jump to
embrace all of these new (not so valuable) things. I sometimes
wonder what people actually do look when they make decisions on new
technologies.

Yeah, but you've left a whole lot out with that reply. The truth is
that you've been asking questions about Festool products for some time
now. Over and over again, several of us have given our views and
ultimately end up telling you to go find out for yourself. You won't
take that first step.

Well - to be true, I've tried to ask increasing questions based on what has
been said - not the same question over and over. Digging, if you will.
It's out of interest - not out of immediate need, so I won't be going out
and buying one in the near future. When the time comes to replace a tool -
I will look closely at taking that step. But... that's because I've had
some of those questions answered.

Here's how I'm seeing you. Please don't be offended.

You're that sorta shy kid in school who has been eyeing some girl who
is in several of his classes. You won't/can't/haven't yet gotten up
the nerve to go and really talk to her. She's nice to look at, is
popular and she laughs a lot. But, she's always surrounded by other
people paying attention to her and that bothers you.

Well - you missed pretty far with that, but that's ok...

A number of your buddies say she's nice. She's easy to talk to and
that you'd probably like her. But, you still watch her from a distance
all the while asking the occasional surreptitious question about her
but still trying to appear not all that interested.

Go talk to this girl Mike. It might be the start of a great
relationship. All that can happen is that it won't work out. Believe
me, as a former shy kid, a long, long time ago, the wondering and the
failure to act is way more painful than the trying and not succeeding
will ever be.

As I said - it's not the time for me to buy anything. I just don't need it
yet. I know that at some point there are a couple of tools that I will have
to replace. Consider my earlier post on categories and the fact that I'm
not opposed to over-buying something. I just like to understand all that I
can before I pull the trigger on a purchase - even moreso when that purchase
is over the top such as Festools are.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure. I heard about a 7 year-old today who asked his mom to buy
him an iPad. Do you think he saw *bling*? I've heard of teens wanting
various ipod's so that they could carry them as a fashion accessory (Jim
Cramer's daughter). Remember, I'm the one that can't even tolerate
viewing the Ipod screen, so there's no i-envy coming from this corner of
the room. I didn't make a correlation between Rolex and Apple? I doubt
they have the same customers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

Maybe but that just makes my point. *YOU* care about what some unknown little
boy wants. Without even knowing why, you assume it's because he thinks it'll
may him look important. First question, why do you make that assumption.
Second, why do you care?

I've heard of teens wanting
various ipod's so that they could carry them as a fashion accessory (Jim
Cramer's daughter). Remember, I'm the one that can't even tolerate
viewing the Ipod screen, so there's no i-envy coming from this corner of
the room.

No, but you seem to have an unhealthy concern for what others do with their
life.

I didn't make a correlation between Rolex and Apple? I doubt
they have the same customers.

You did, actually.
Posted to rec.woodworking

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

No, I just happen to be in the coffee room when the said story was told.
You'll have to find someone else to argue with though.

Without even knowing why, you assume it's because he thinks it'll
may him look important. First question, why do you make that assumption.
Second, why do you care?

You'll have to find someone else to argue with though.

I've heard of teens wanting
various ipod's so that they could carry them as a fashion accessory (Jim
Cramer's daughter). Remember, I'm the one that can't even tolerate
viewing the Ipod screen, so there's no i-envy coming from this corner of
the room.

No, but you seem to have an unhealthy concern for what others do with their
life.

You'll have to find someone else to argue with though.

I didn't make a correlation between Rolex and Apple? I doubt
they have the same customers.

You did, actually.

You'll have to find someone else to argue with though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

I'm not sure. I heard about a 7 year-old today who asked his mom to
buy him an iPad. Do you think he saw *bling*?

Don't know. I guess I don't understand how people here are defining
"bling".

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:4098f$503ee66b
:

Bill wrote:

I'm not sure. I heard about a 7 year-old today who asked his mom to
buy him an iPad. Do you think he saw *bling*?

Don't know. I guess I don't understand how people here are defining
"bling".

IIRC, the bling was attached to iPhone and iPad **cases**, which indeed can
be pink, with baubles attached for some of the world's population, an
admirably beautiful selection only of course ...
/sarcasm

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

" wrote in
:

I want to understand what the new technology is going to do for me
that isn't already covered, better. I really don't want to spend $600
on a toy that I won't use, when that $600 could buy another Festool.
;-)

The 64K question ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 30 Aug 2012 11:45:17 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

I want to understand what the new technology is going to do for me
that isn't already covered, better. I really don't want to spend $600
on a toy that I won't use, when that $600 could buy another Festool.
;-)

The 64K question ...

I got a 25% discount from Festool prices...by buying a Makita.
Me happy. I bought the Festool guide-joinery parts at Medford Tool.

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

I got a 25% discount from Festool prices...by buying a Makita.
Me happy. I bought the Festool guide-joinery parts at Medford Tool.

Good for you! What are "Festool guide-joinery parts" and "Medford Tool"?
Is the store a chain?

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 30 Aug 2012 12:50:53 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

I got a 25% discount from Festool prices...by buying a Makita.
Me happy. I bought the Festool guide-joinery parts at Medford Tool.

Good for you! What are "Festool guide-joinery parts" and "Medford Tool"?
Is the store a chain?

Plunge saws run on 55" long guide rails, so you need two to span 8'.
The roughly 1/2" square, foot long joinery pegs connect them.
Fark, $30 the pair! Medford Tools is a tool store in Medford, OR
rather than a chain. Someone mentioned them recently, but maybe that
was over on Wreck.Metalheads rather than here.

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu
Posted to rec.woodworking

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

Yes. If it didn't bother you (and it clearly does) that a little boy wanted
an iPad, you wouldn't have brought it up here. You really need to pay more
attention to yourself and your family and less to what others want.

Without even knowing why, you assume it's because he thinks it'll
may him look important. First question, why do you make that assumption.
Second, why do you care?

You'll have to find someone else to argue with though.

It clearly bothers you or you wouldn't be so defensive.

I've heard of teens wanting
various ipod's so that they could carry them as a fashion accessory (Jim
Cramer's daughter). Remember, I'm the one that can't even tolerate
viewing the Ipod screen, so there's no i-envy coming from this corner of
the room.

No, but you seem to have an unhealthy concern for what others do with their
life.

You'll have to find someone else to argue with though.

I didn't make a correlation between Rolex and Apple? I doubt
they have the same customers.

You did, actually.

You'll have to find someone else to argue with though.

I thought you had a brain. Even a dumb bird can parrot.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 30 Aug 2012 11:45:17 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

I want to understand what the new technology is going to do for me
that isn't already covered, better. I really don't want to spend $600
on a toy that I won't use, when that $600 could buy another Festool.
;-)

The 64K question ...

Festools are expensive but come on, Han, they're not *that* expensive!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/30/2012 12:04 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

I'm not sure. I heard about a 7 year-old today who asked his mom to
buy him an iPad. Do you think he saw *bling*?

Don't know. I guess I don't understand how people here are defining
"bling".

Maybe some of your vintage cars have "bling". What creates bling seems
to vary my generation (being determined by one's peers). IIRC, that
younger woman that someone described earlier had bling all by herself,
if "she" includes everything that was evident (smile, voice, shape,
clothes, hair-care, etc.).

Posted to rec.woodworking

I walk right past the sequin-coated iphone covers and would run away
from a sequin-covered festool. I saw a derringer once where the grip
was diamonds in lucite. I had one thought ... why?

Casper

You sir, are a man of discrimating tastes. Hats off to ya!
Mike Marlow

LOL .. thanks for the compliment .. just one thing .. I'm a woman.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:
I walk right past the sequin-coated iphone covers and would run away
from a sequin-covered festool. I saw a derringer once where the grip
was diamonds in lucite. I had one thought ... why?

Casper

You sir, are a man of discrimating tastes. Hats off to ya!
Mike Marlow

LOL .. thanks for the compliment .. just one thing .. I'm a woman.

Even better! I'd ask "34B?" but that would be inappropriate, so I won't...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

I think it is noteworthy comment about our society that a 7-year old
asked his mom for an Ipad. I guess it's a sign that there is a lot of
marketing going on.

Perhaps, but I think it is more a reflection of what parents are giving
their kids these days. My own thoughts on that were - why in the hell does
a 7 year old need and iPad? But - that's what parents do for and buy for
their kids these days.

Virtual Lego? : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/30/12 2:44 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

Not to start another whole debate.... well, that *is* what we do, so
here goes.....

Kids, especially very young ones, are doing extremely well with learning
on tablets. The touch interface has opened up whole new realms of early
developmental learning that were never before thought possible.

They have been especially revolutionary in helping autistic kids learn
and *communicate* with others. There are videos out there showing before
and after of kids with autism and it brings tears to your eyes to see
the difference it makes in their lives. Turns out these kids are just as
intelligent as "normal" kids and these tablets have been they only
really effective conduit to learning and communication for them.

I have friends with preschooler who are learning to read and write with
things, much faster than old-school flash cards, etc. Best part... they
seem to take to it themselves with very little supervision. The touch
screen interface seems to be the magic part of the equation in the case
of the autistic kids.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 15:35:44 -0400, Bill wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Good grief. You never asked your mother for a toy? Get over yourself and
stop worrying about what other people do. Busybody.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 20:12:38 -0400, Bill wrote:

wrote:
On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 15:44:17 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Bill wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

My son used our computer over thirty years ago. I don't see the issue.

That's because you're a troll!

Bill, do you really try to be an idiot or does it run in the family.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Bill wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

I've seen you troll lots of people. Then you got to me. Same crap.
All I've got to say is -- are you listening? TROLL!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Bill wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

You really are stupid. Just because you disagree with someone, they're a
troll. No, you're really just trying to evade the issue and shut others up.
Nope, not going to work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 20:37:58 -0400, Bill wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

TROLL!

Did your mother have any live births?

There are no other kind of births, troll!

Ever hear of a still birth, moron? I'm *sure* your mother has.

I haven't heard yapping at your level since junior high...

Posted to rec.woodworking

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

It's all you've been doing in this entire thread; yapping about others
possessions.
Posted to rec.woodworking

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

My turn is over, please go amuse someone else.

Old Technology David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 12 October 11th 11 05:00 PM
about rna technology bharath Electronics Repair 0 February 1st 10 12:56 PM
Technology Changes Thinking, Can Your Thinking Change Technology? [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 April 24th 06 07:56 AM
SiC Technology Atul Agrawal Electronics Repair 0 July 30th 05 08:15 PM