Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ot technology:

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 00:00:41 -0400, Bill wrote:

wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 23:13:23 -0400, Bill wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:23:09 -0400, Bill wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:20:44 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

On 8/29/12 2:42 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/29/2012 11:45 AM, Casper wrote:
I walk right past the sequin-coated iphone covers and would run away
from a sequin-covered festool. I saw a derringer once where the grip
was diamonds in lucite. I had one thought ... why?

LOL Steve Jobs, famous for his minimalistic approach to design, as well
as Jon Ives, his favorite designer, is undoubtedly spinning in his grave
to hear the term "bling" in the same breath with "iPad".

Same goes for Festool products ... both manufacturers are well known for
a functional-to-a-fault design approach, resulting in a minimalist
design where anything not absolutely functional is hard to find on any
of their products.

I think people just equate "bling" with expensive.
Fact is, no one has come out with tools that work as well as Festool for
a cheaper price.
Maybe "bling" means, this is what quality and functionality
second-to-none costs.

Gee, and I thought "bling" was useless shiny baubles added for no good reason
other than to catch the eye.

Hmm.. Maybe it would be fun to list products with bling for
clarification, I'll try to start:

A Rolex Watch
A Coach purse

OK, but I don't see the correlation between Rolex and Apple. That you do,
says as much about you than it does those who you talk about.

I'm not sure. I heard about a 7 year-old today who asked his mom to buy
him an iPad. Do you think he saw *bling*?

Maybe but that just makes my point. *YOU* care about what some unknown little
boy wants.

No, I just happen to be in the coffee room when the said story was told.
You'll have to find someone else to argue with though.

Yes. If it didn't bother you (and it clearly does) that a little boy wanted
an iPad, you wouldn't have brought it up here. You really need to pay more
attention to yourself and your family and less to what others want.

Without even knowing why, you assume it's because he thinks it'll
may him look important. First question, why do you make that assumption.
Second, why do you care?

You'll have to find someone else to argue with though.

It clearly bothers you or you wouldn't be so defensive.

I've heard of teens wanting
various ipod's so that they could carry them as a fashion accessory (Jim
Cramer's daughter). Remember, I'm the one that can't even tolerate
viewing the Ipod screen, so there's no i-envy coming from this corner of
the room.

No, but you seem to have an unhealthy concern for what others do with their
life.

You'll have to find someone else to argue with though.

I didn't make a correlation between Rolex and Apple? I doubt
they have the same customers.

You did, actually.

You'll have to find someone else to argue with though.

I thought you had a brain. Even a dumb bird can parrot.