Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What's The Drill? (drill press)

On Tue, 22 May 2012 14:47:55 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 5/22/12 1:25 PM, John Shear wrote:
Hmm, I just turned 50 and have never used a drill press and haven't been
in a situation where I thought to myself "man, having a drill press sure
would make my life easier". I do have a Jet Benchtop Mortiser because it
was obvious how that would make my projects get done faster with better
quality. So educate me on what makes a drill press a valuable thing to
have (ie, what am I missing out on?).

John S.

I drill press is like any other bench version of a tool. You don't
"need" it to do anything you couldn't do with the handheld version, but
once you have one, you wondered how to lived without it.

It speeds up a lot of processes. It's indispensable for repeatable
tasks. Drilling in round stock it a hundred times easier with a press.
Drill in metal without punching a starter dimple.
Now that I think about it, it does some things you can't do with a
handheld drill. You can drill right over a smaller hole to make it
bigger. You can use hole saws without a guide bit.... I have several
diamond saws that don't have center bits.

A press also multitasks as a drum sander which comes in handy quite
often. Like someone else stated, even the cheap ones are really handy. I
got my Ryobi for 50 bucks on clearance and if it's not the best $50 I
ever spent, it's in the top 5. :-)

Plus you don't have to tape a level to the drill. 8-)
Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What's The Drill?

On Tue, 22 May 2012 16:42:19 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Then you need to get out into the real world Dave. Having worked at HD, I
can tell you that what you say about people needing the newest and greatest
and all that stuff is pure crap. Believe what you will, but people just do
not buy that way. Surprise!

Really? And you're telling me to get out in the real world? You may
have untold years of experience at Home Depot, but you're information
is woefully out of date. When *was* the last time you worked there
Mike?

Look at the teenagers these days. Look at all the people under 30
years of age. How many until millions in the US scrape by from month
to month trying to pay down their debt to their maxed out credit
cards? And, don't even consider trying to tell me they don't exist.
For them it's all about buying the latest and greatest and keeping up
with all their friends. They're constantly spurred onto greater debt
by advertising and the very society they live in. Do you really want
to tell me that stuff is crap???

Get your damned head out of the sand Mike. It's not the older
generation like us that have this problem, it's the younger ones who
are driving the market into interminable debt spurred on by this
instant gratification society of ours.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 May 2012 17:27:45 -0700, Mike M
For me I'm content with
the Dewalt 18 volt for what I'm doing now

Maybe I'm guessing wrongly, but since you've had it awhile, I'm
assuming it uses an XRP battery. Your arm ever get tired holding up
that drill Mike? Mine does with it's XRP battery and I can pretty much
guarantee you with thirty years of pushing my manual wheelchair
around, my arms are NOT weak.

An so, the next question is have you looked at one of the new DeWalt
20v Li-Ion drills with battery? If so, the first thing you would have
noticed is how much smaller the battery is and how much lighter the
drill is. If you did notice, did you say to yourself how nice it might
be to have one of those instead? I sure did.

Possibly not for the home owner who might use it once a week, but it
sure would make a big difference for someone using a drill like that a
few times every day. And since I'm into woodworking, even though I
don't do it professionally, I frequently use my DeWalt drill a number
of times every day.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 May 2012 17:40:08 -0700, Mike M
Plus you don't have to tape a level to the drill. 8-)

Or find out after you've drilled your stock, that the level slipped or
you didn't tape it properly in the first place. 8-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Exactly why I bought the Hitachi, great little drill for smaller tasks.

And my 18v Ryobi LiOn is lighter than my previous drill.
So I have the best of all worlds.

No arm and leg lost to buy either.
BTW My Ryobi also locks the motor when off so you can easily tighten the
chuck with one hand. You can crank down pretty good.

What I like about the Hitachi is the battery allows you to sit the tool
down standing up. Most of the 10V and 12V LiOn do not have that feature.

On 5/22/2012 11:05 PM, Dave wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 May 2012 23:05:08 -0400, Dave wrote:

[...]

No your assumptions are correct and it wasn't light , but doing
electrical work overhead it was one of the lighter things we dealt
with. But I dated it's primary use, and qualified it with judging
what your use and needs were. I don't know that it's what I would buy
today, but I'm heavily invested and on disability so not likely to
change unless I'm back in the trades when anything that makes the day
go better is justified.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 May 2012 20:46:39 -0700, Mike M
today, but I'm heavily invested and on disability so not likely to
change unless I'm back in the trades when anything that makes the day
go better is justified.

You're right of course. I heavily invested too when I bought a DeWalt
six tool package. And of course, shortly after that I also bought a
few other DeWalt tools that could use the same batteries. So, I
understand completely.

But, after buying a 12v DeWalt impact drill along with a 12v
temperature gun, both using lithium ion batteries, I know that if the
18v drill with its XRP batteries ever dies on me, I won't get it
fixed, I'll just upgrade.

I don't have a lot of money either, but I don't own a car and don't
have a family to support. (my loss) So, tools are one of my few vices.

And that is something my best friend supports whole heartedly, since
he is my sole beneficiary. And until that time, many of my tools
frequently live over at his place. 8-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2012 11:52 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

In the case of the Ridgid life time covers maintenance and wear out. It is
a good warranty.

Sorry Leon - not sure how to figure out what you are saying, so I'll take
the safe way through this - yes it does cover wear out from normal use. I
think your last sentence says what I am trying to say - it really is a good
warranty.

The confusion may be because I was responding to Bill, not you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2012 16:42:19 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Then you need to get out into the real world Dave. Having worked at
HD, I can tell you that what you say about people needing the newest
and greatest and all that stuff is pure crap. Believe what you
will, but people just do not buy that way. Surprise!

Really? And you're telling me to get out in the real world? You may
have untold years of experience at Home Depot, but you're information
is woefully out of date. When *was* the last time you worked there
Mike?

Not that long ago Dave. People don't come in and buy the latest and
greatest just because it came out. It costs too much. When they need to
replace something, they step up, but it's a rare consumer that upgrades just
because something new came along. What I consider more surprising is the
people who will spend stupid money on replacement batteries. For not a lot
more, they could often have upgraded and had more tool - but they didn't.
They buy the replacement batteries.

Look at the teenagers these days. Look at all the people under 30
years of age. How many until millions in the US scrape by from month
to month trying to pay down their debt to their maxed out credit
cards? And, don't even consider trying to tell me they don't exist.

Sure - but that's a whole different matter.

For them it's all about buying the latest and greatest and keeping up
with all their friends. They're constantly spurred onto greater debt
by advertising and the very society they live in. Do you really want
to tell me that stuff is crap???

I would argue that it's not so much about buying the latest and greatest of
everything as it is about having to have whatever they want, right now
instead of saving for it.

Get your damned head out of the sand Mike. It's not the older
generation like us that have this problem, it's the younger ones who
are driving the market into interminable debt spurred on by this
instant gratification society of ours.

Agree on the instant gratification thing Dave, but that's different. You
don't find a lot of those folks walking into HD or Lowes and buying new
screw guns when something new comes out.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2012 1:54 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Dave wrote:

Personally, I think it's mostly irrelevant if there's a lifetime
warranty on these ubiquitous tools. By the time they wear out or a
battery dies and/or can't be rebuilt, one would likely want to upgrade
to something newer, at least I would.

Unless, within the realm of things breaking before they should - they do.
Then... that warranty becomes very valuable.

Agree here, especially with the case of the Ridgid brand and the fact
that they warrant the batteries. Who has not gone through a set of
batteries long before the tool was worn out? I believe that most people
are prompted to replace cordless tools because replacing a couple of
batteries is a significant amount that could go towards replacing
everything with the newer features, like Dave said. But for corded
drills where you really don't know what will fail, and is that failure
is likely to be much longer down the road than the life expectancy of
batteries I am likely to keep the tool a very long time.
However, plate joiners and the Domino are the exception. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2012 17:27:45 -0700, Mike M
For me I'm content with
the Dewalt 18 volt for what I'm doing now

Maybe I'm guessing wrongly, but since you've had it awhile, I'm
assuming it uses an XRP battery. Your arm ever get tired holding up
that drill Mike? Mine does with it's XRP battery and I can pretty much
guarantee you with thirty years of pushing my manual wheelchair
around, my arms are NOT weak.

An so, the next question is have you looked at one of the new DeWalt
20v Li-Ion drills with battery? If so, the first thing you would have
noticed is how much smaller the battery is and how much lighter the
drill is. If you did notice, did you say to yourself how nice it might
be to have one of those instead? I sure did.

Did you happen to notice the amperage of that 20v battery Dave? My gun
originally came with the smaller 18v batteries (1.5A or something like
that). They didn't last more than a couple of years before they started
misbehaving. Took them in for warranty replacement and received the 3A
style because they did not have an 1.5A. Huge difference in performance!
Kinda soured me on the smaller batteries.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I bought the kit with duffel bag, 2 18v batteries, charger,
flashlight, circular saw, drill motor, and reciprocating saw for $124
on sale. The first one (sans recip saw and only 14.4v) was $99.

Plus you don't have to tape a level to the drill. 8-)

Eek!

I love the dual levels on the Ryobi, especially if I have to tap that
hole I just drilled. The bull's eye level is great for that.

--
Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because
we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2012 2:24 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2012 14:54:59 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Unless, within the realm of things breaking before they should - they do.
Then... that warranty becomes very valuable.

Sure, in a perfect world, a warranty or a lifetime warranty if you
prefer, is certainly useful in the case of something breaking before
its time. But, all the tools I've every bought which includes drills,
have come with a substantial warranty to start. That's three years in
the case of my DeWalt drills. They're almost five years old now and
there's no hint of tool failure or battery dying anywhere. If a drill
dies on me at this point, I'll likely upgrade to a Li-Ion drill
because of the advantages to it. Or, in the case of battery, I'll
consider having it rebuilt.

Either way, in my almost 30 years of woodworking experience when I
bought my first cordless drill, never have I had one fail on me
(drill or battery) prematurely. Whenever I've gone to something new,
it's been because of a desire for a newer capability/technology tool.

WOW! I have owned 9 different cordless drills/driver/impacts and have
bought replacements batteries for all, except for one my first DeWalt as
a whole new drill with two batteries was $99 and two new batteries was
more expensive. And I have not yet bought replacements for my Festool
yet or the Bosch impactor that I rarely use.
What do you do to make them last? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2012 10:05 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2012 17:27:45 -0700, Mike M
For me I'm content with
the Dewalt 18 volt for what I'm doing now

Maybe I'm guessing wrongly, but since you've had it awhile, I'm
assuming it uses an XRP battery. Your arm ever get tired holding up
that drill Mike? Mine does with it's XRP battery and I can pretty much
guarantee you with thirty years of pushing my manual wheelchair
around, my arms are NOT weak.

No kidding! Untill drill makers went to LiIon I was not interested in a
heavy big voltage drill. They are ok for a few shor tasks but I
certainly would be tired after a day of use in the shop. I worked with
9.6 until I had to move up to 12 volt and used that until I got my
lighter weight 15.x Festool.

An so, the next question is have you looked at one of the new DeWalt
20v Li-Ion drills with battery? If so, the first thing you would have
noticed is how much smaller the battery is and how much lighter the
drill is. If you did notice, did you say to yourself how nice it might
be to have one of those instead? I sure did.

Possibly not for the home owner who might use it once a week, but it
sure would make a big difference for someone using a drill like that a
few times every day. And since I'm into woodworking, even though I
don't do it professionally, I frequently use my DeWalt drill a number
of times every day.

Another thing to consider with the latest technology, about 7~8 years
ago I bought a 12 volt Makita drill and impact drive. The impact pretty
much holds it's won with any voltage drill including many corded ones as
far a power goes. With my next voltage step up Festool 15.x drill I
have not yet used my impact driver. I am thinking the brushless motors
may be offering more than just less things to go wrong. I never would
have drilled pocket holes with out a corded drill, now I do. 3" screws
go in as fast now as with the impact.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2012 1:25 PM, John Shear wrote:
Hmm, I just turned 50 and have never used a drill press and haven't been
in a situation where I thought to myself "man, having a drill press sure
would make my life easier". I do have a Jet Benchtop Mortiser because it
was obvious how that would make my projects get done faster with better
quality. So educate me on what makes a drill press a valuable thing to
have (ie, what am I missing out on?).

A drill press is a tool you are glad you have on certain occasions. You
certainly can get by with out one although I have pretty much always had
one. But I don't use it nearly as often as say my tables saw, sanders,
etc.
BUT something I have seen done with out a DP and I would never want to
try with out is boring 35mm/1-3/8" holes in cabinet doors to accept Euro
style hinges. I do hundreds of these holes and the time saved has more
than paid for the DP with just this procedure.
If you turn pens a DP is extremely helpful for drilling down the center
of a 5" long 3/4" square blank.
Any drilling that requires exact placement of the hole is better done on
a DP.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2012 10:07 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 22 May 2012 17:40:08 -0700, Mike M
Plus you don't have to tape a level to the drill. 8-)

Or find out after you've drilled your stock, that the level slipped or
you didn't tape it properly in the first place. 8-)

I was never a fan of the level in the drill, IIRC an old DeWalt had a
level in it.
When has any thing you drilled ever been perfectly level or plum? ;~)
For me a level on a drill is like using a level to bring your TS blade
back to 90 degrees.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ok, you have lots of good ideas guys. Having never had a drill press, I
just found my own ways to do those things and it never seemed
inconvenient to where I'd need a better tool.
When I drill metal it's never for something where I'd need precision so
hand drilling was simple. I'm not a metal worker.
I rarely drill round stock, and certainly didn't need to be real precise
when I did. I suppose if I decide to build chairs that'll be a
different story.
For drilling with forstener bits, a hole saw without a guide bit, or
re-drilling a hole to a larger size, I just make a quick-and-dirty jig
with plywood to guide the bit.
For things (like shelf pins) where being perpendicular is important, I
have a little triangle square I set next to the bit to visually guide
me. Also for shelf pins, I just have a cardboard template to mark the
hole locations then drill away - no jig needed. Ya, for you guys that
do more quantity that's probably tedious but for my less frequent
(hobbyist) work, it's quick and easy.

I am interested in trying to make wooden hinges that I've seen in a
couple of places lately. I wondered how they drill out for the hinge
pin. I guess that's a very good reason for drill press, but I could
come up with a jig for that too.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I will definitely have a drill press on my
radar screen. Now that you've planted a seed, I'll be more likely to
come across that moment when I say "man, it sure would be easier with a
drill press". You're all great at helping someone find a way to spend
more money.

John S.

On 05/23/2012 07:43 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/23/2012 7:19 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/22/2012 2:24 PM, Dave wrote:
[...]

To make them last, you just use them regularly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What's The Drill? M28 Drill

At Home Depot the other day they had the Milwakee M28 drill on the demo
table.
$299..

I didn't like it. The clutch setting wasn't good. The driver would jump
out of the screws because of too much torque and speed. One guy thought
I wasn't pressing hard enough, so he took over. Same thing.

The bit was good, so it wasn't the bit. There was just too much power
without control for the new latest and greatest.

Driving into a 2x4 the screws never fully sank before camming out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

But don't you find the impact would drive with less effort, prevent cam
out too? I prefer my 12v impact over the 18v drill for heavier work. It
has yet to let me down. I could do decks with this 12v impact its that good.

Another thing to consider with the latest technology, about 7~8 years
ago I bought a 12 volt Makita drill and impact drive. The impact pretty
much holds it's won with any voltage drill including many corded ones as
far a power goes. With my next voltage step up Festool 15.x drill I have
not yet used my impact driver. I am thinking the brushless motors may be
offering more than just less things to go wrong. I never would have
drilled pocket holes with out a corded drill, now I do. 3" screws go in
as fast now as with the impact.

Posted to rec.woodworking

For things (like shelf pins) where being perpendicular is important, I
have a little triangle square I set next to the bit to visually guide
me. Also for shelf pins, I just have a cardboard template to mark the
hole locations then drill away - no jig needed. Ya, for you guys that do
more quantity that's probably tedious but for my less frequent
(hobbyist) work, it's quick and easy.

Try a block with a V cut into it. Just put the V up against the bit. It
keeps it aligned both ways and allows chips to fall out.

I have a porta align... about 40 year old Craftsman drill guide on 2
rods. Perfect for centering, and drilling perpendicular..

But it's a bear to hold horizontally, so instead of clamping it, I just
use a V block.

Also in one of the mags I saw a neat trick of putting a larger eyebolt
on the bit. If the bit moves toward you your pointing up.. but it only
works in one axis.. I like the V block.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote

[...]

Just looking at guys toolbags and in their trucks at their tools, I very
rarely see a shiny new one. Most look like they've been run through a gold
processing machine. And the guy wouldn't part with it for a new one.

Maybe things are different from where I live.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike M" wrote

Some - if not perhaps, most do have that now John. I know my 3 year old
Ridgid does have an LED - and as foolish as I might have thought that to
be
at one time - it really is a help. Especially as the eyes get... not so
good! I suspect (and cannot verify) that this is becoming a common thing.

No kidding, since I don't do bifocals some times that led is a real
joy, or my big head is blocking the light.

Mike M

I love mine, and wish all my drills had one. I don't know why they didn't
put it on sooner. I will not buy another without it. My two drill/impact
set came with the impact with a light, and the drill not. Wonder why. I
love that light.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in
:

I love mine, and wish all my drills had one. I don't know why they
didn't put it on sooner. I will not buy another without it. My two
drill/impact set came with the impact with a light, and the drill not.
Wonder why. I love that light.

Steve

The only thing missing from my jigsaw is a light. I miss it just about
every time I turn on the tool, I've been spoiled by the drill/drivers that
have them.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 May 2012 07:19:43 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
What do you do to make them last? ;~)

Easy answer. I don't use them as much as you do. As a habit, I run a
battery right down and then recharge it fully before I use it again.
That habit is not as necessary these days as it was in the past, but
it has become my habit anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 May 2012 10:28:29 -0700, "Steve B"
Just looking at guys toolbags and in their trucks at their tools, I very
rarely see a shiny new one. Most look like they've been run through a gold
processing machine. And the guy wouldn't part with it for a new one.

Maybe things are different from where I live.

No, you're looking at people who use their tools to make a living.
Those are not the people I was referring to. A contractor needs to
allocate money wisely if he/she is going to stay in business.

I'm talking people who spend money or use their credit cards on
something that isn't at all necessary to survive. Hell, look at the
housing problem in the US. How many people were convinced to buy with
incredibly low interest rates and rock bottom down payments? The
mortgage companies promoted the hell out of easy home ownership.
Suddenly, everybody is surprised when they lose the house because they
can't afford it?

These people should never have got a mortgage in the first place. Yet,
they were 'lemminged' into buying because it was the American dream.
Again, it's all about want without a good measure of restraint to keep
it in check.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com...
"Steve B" wrote in
:

I love mine, and wish all my drills had one. I don't know why they
didn't put it on sooner. I will not buy another without it. My two
drill/impact set came with the impact with a light, and the drill not.
Wonder why. I love that light.

Steve

The only thing missing from my jigsaw is a light. I miss it just about
every time I turn on the tool, I've been spoiled by the drill/drivers that
have them.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Ya know, with those cheap little $4 LED flashlights at the auto parts
stores, a fix to that would be easy, and provide plenty of light. Just duct
tape it ........ errrrrrr........... make a wood mount for it. Duct tape is
temporary, everyone knows that.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 May 2012 07:19:43 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
What do you do to make them last? ;~)

Easy answer. I don't use them as much as you do. As a habit, I run a
battery right down and then recharge it fully before I use it again.
That habit is not as necessary these days as it was in the past, but
it has become my habit anyway.

I'll put a slip tie on mine, and let it run.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 May 2012 20:35:43 GMT, Puckdropper
The only thing missing from my jigsaw is a light. I miss it just about
every time I turn on the tool, I've been spoiled by the drill/drivers that
have them

A light is nice on a jigsaw, but I much prefer a blower tube to keep
the dust off the cut line.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 May 2012 08:54:15 -0500, John Shear
I am interested in trying to make wooden hinges that I've seen in a
couple of places lately. I wondered how they drill out for the hinge
pin. I guess that's a very good reason for drill press, but I could
come up with a jig for that too.

Here you go. Make sure you scroll over to the five minute mark.
http://www.incra.com/product_rtf_ibox.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/23/2012 8:58 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Sorry that may have been the M18 it was a Brushless drill

On 5/23/2012 10:53 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
At Home Depot the other day they had the Milwakee M28 drill on the demo
table.
$299..

I didn't like it. The clutch setting wasn't good. The driver would jump
out of the screws because of too much torque and speed. One guy thought
I wasn't pressing hard enough, so he took over. Same thing.

The bit was good, so it wasn't the bit. There was just too much power
without control for the new latest and greatest.

Driving into a 2x4 the screws never fully sank before camming out.

I have an 18 volt Bosch that will do the same thing with
cheap screws. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/23/2012 6:23 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
On Wed, 23 May 2012 07:19:43 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
What do you do to make them last? ;~)

Easy answer. I don't use them as much as you do. As a habit, I run a
battery right down and then recharge it fully before I use it again.
That habit is not as necessary these days as it was in the past, but
it has become my habit anyway.

I'll put a slip tie on mine, and let it run.

Steve

And recharge it as soon as it sounds like it's getting low.

Running a battery down below 50% charge WILL shorten it's life.

Leaving it uncharged for weeks will kill it even quicker.

Back in my motorcycle days there was a quote -

Ride every day the battery will last near forever.
Once a week it may last a year.
Onece a month it may not last a year.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 05/23/2012 06:23 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
On Wed, 23 May 2012 07:19:43 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
What do you do to make them last? ;~)

Easy answer. I don't use them as much as you do. As a habit, I run a
battery right down and then recharge it fully before I use it again.
That habit is not as necessary these days as it was in the past, but
it has become my habit anyway.

I'll put a slip tie on mine, and let it run.

Steve

Actually, with Li this is a bad idea. NiCads required this full
discharge cycle but I believe this actually decreases Li life ...
or so I've read.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Wed, 23 May 2012 07:19:43 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
What do you do to make them last? ;~)

Easy answer. I don't use them as much as you do. As a habit, I run a
battery right down and then recharge it fully before I use it again.
That habit is not as necessary these days as it was in the past, but
it has become my habit anyway.

I'll put a slip tie on mine, and let it run.

Steve

And recharge it as soon as it sounds like it's getting low.

Running a battery down below 50% charge WILL shorten it's life.

Leaving it uncharged for weeks will kill it even quicker.

Back in my motorcycle days there was a quote -

Ride every day the battery will last near forever.
Once a week it may last a year.
Onece a month it may not last a year.

Your motorcycle battery was probably plain old lead acid.
Newer batteries are apples and oranges in chemistry compared to lead
acid and the rules are different depending on if they are NiCad, NiMH,
Li€‘ion, etc.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/23/2012 7:22 PM, Dave wrote:
[...]

Regardless of what the American Dream is, or whether the government is
pushing low interest loans, Common sense says if you have debt to earns
ratio of 86% you should not buy a house that increase the debt ratio to
130%.

These last generations have been brought up thinking they are not
accountable for their actions. So what ever caused the housing bust,
and there are media reasons and valid reason, maybe in the future people
will remember that there are consequences to their actions.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in
:

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com...

The only thing missing from my jigsaw is a light. I miss it just
about every time I turn on the tool, I've been spoiled by the
drill/drivers that have them.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Ya know, with those cheap little $4 LED flashlights at the auto parts
stores, a fix to that would be easy, and provide plenty of light.
Just duct tape it ........ errrrrrr........... make a wood mount for
it. Duct tape is temporary, everyone knows that.

Steve

I'm not really sure where I'd mount something like that. There's levers
and controls all around the blade. If I didn't care about messing it up
by opening it up, I'd figure out how to add one. A white LED doesn't
need much space at all.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

True.
But...
You still have to use them regularly to keep them healthy.
And taking them below 50% charge will still shorten their lives.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

I'm pretty sure this isn't true with all batteries.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/23/2012 8:54 AM, John Shear wrote:
[...]

This is probably the best tool for that job.

http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCR...ngecrafter.htm