Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default What's The Drill? (drill press)

On 5/23/2012 8:54 AM, John Shear wrote:
Ok, you have lots of good ideas guys. Having never had a drill press, I
just found my own ways to do those things and it never seemed
inconvenient to where I'd need a better tool.
When I drill metal it's never for something where I'd need precision so
hand drilling was simple. I'm not a metal worker.
I rarely drill round stock, and certainly didn't need to be real precise
when I did. I suppose if I decide to build chairs that'll be a different
story.
For drilling with forstener bits, a hole saw without a guide bit, or
re-drilling a hole to a larger size, I just make a quick-and-dirty jig
with plywood to guide the bit.
For things (like shelf pins) where being perpendicular is important, I
have a little triangle square I set next to the bit to visually guide
me. Also for shelf pins, I just have a cardboard template to mark the
hole locations then drill away - no jig needed. Ya, for you guys that do
more quantity that's probably tedious but for my less frequent
(hobbyist) work, it's quick and easy.

I am interested in trying to make wooden hinges that I've seen in a
couple of places lately. I wondered how they drill out for the hinge
pin. I guess that's a very good reason for drill press, but I could come
up with a jig for that too.

This is probably the best tool for that job.

http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCR...ngecrafter.htm