Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default What's The Drill? (drill press)

For things (like shelf pins) where being perpendicular is important, I
have a little triangle square I set next to the bit to visually guide
me. Also for shelf pins, I just have a cardboard template to mark the
hole locations then drill away - no jig needed. Ya, for you guys that do
more quantity that's probably tedious but for my less frequent
(hobbyist) work, it's quick and easy.

Try a block with a V cut into it. Just put the V up against the bit. It
keeps it aligned both ways and allows chips to fall out.

I have a porta align... about 40 year old Craftsman drill guide on 2
rods. Perfect for centering, and drilling perpendicular..

But it's a bear to hold horizontally, so instead of clamping it, I just
use a V block.

Also in one of the mags I saw a neat trick of putting a larger eyebolt
on the bit. If the bit moves toward you your pointing up.. but it only
works in one axis.. I like the V block.